Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Good Open-Backed Headphones (preferred) with HX Stomp

cfclogan

I have read several threads discussing good headphone matches for the Helix, but I am curious about headphones that you find work well with the HX Stomp. I prefer an open-backed headphone for the experience (isolation is not an issue), but would consider other options. I have Custom IEMs but sometimes don't need that isolation when practicing and prefer the overall experience with open. I would appreciate a headphone that can handle a bit more bass when bumped - doesn't need to be "bass heavy" though. 

I use the HX Stomp with bass guitar and electric 6 string. 

I read previously recommendations for the Sennheiser HD600s with the Helix (which I would consider) but have also heard the headphone out on the Stomp may be a bit "weaker", therefore requiring a headphone with lower ohms rating. There may be people using headphone amps to remedy this, so that info is appreciated as well. 

Any feedback/thoughts would be appreciated! I apologize in advance, if I missed a thread already targeting/addressing this question.

I should clarify that it wasn't necessarily "weaker" but that I remember reading of experiences of struggling with output. I find that with my CIEMs I do have to turn up volume relatively high depending on the amp model, but more on some than others. I turn up the gain on the output "block" as needed (along with the model itself) to manage volume. I don't have a Helix floor or rack version to compare, so maybe they are the same.

Ultimately, looking for a good match from others' experiences with the Stomp. 

37 minutes ago, cfclogan said:

I read previously recommendations for the Sennheiser HD600s with the Helix (which I would consider) but have also heard the headphone out on the Stomp may be a bit "weaker", therefore requiring a headphone with lower ohms rating. There may be people using headphone amps to remedy this, so that info is appreciated as well. 

I have a pair of AKG K701's that I use with my Helix floor... they're rated at 55 ohms. Despite recommendations for higher impedance cans, I've never had an issue. They're open-back, things get uncomfortably loud long before anything starts to clip, and they sound fantastic. Can't imagine they'd perform any differently with the Stomp. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

I have a pair of AKG K701's that I use with my Helix floor... they're rated at 55 ohms. Despite recommendations for higher impedance cans, I've never had an issue. They're open-back, things get uncomfortably loud long before anything starts to clip, and they sound fantastic. Can't imagine they'd perform any differently with the Stomp. 

I used to have a pair of K701s for general listening - thanks for the suggestion! 

As I recollect, Line 6's Eric Klein aka Digital Igloo posted recently that the HX Stomp's headphone subsystem does not have the full power of the Helix units.

I have a pair of open back Sennheiser HD650 (since this summer) and enjoy using them. I have found them quite comfortable to wear for long sessions. I also have several closed back units from Sony (MDR-V6) and BeyerDynamic (DT770 250Ω) and enjoy them as well.

Each of the above works well with my Helix Floor. I have a HX Stomp on order and can report back once it arrives.

• Like 2

That is what I remember reading about the Stomp's headphone out. Thank you for clarifying (based on your recollection).

I used to have HD650s as well for general listening, so those will go on the list for consideration. 

I look forward to your report - appreciated! 

On 11/29/2018 at 3:27 PM, cruisinon2 said:

I also own a pair of these, along with a set of Oppo PM-3s, and a pair of Focal Elears. The AKG K701s are among the clearest sounding cans you'll find in the under $500 price range. They are very close to reference, and many people criticize them for lacking bass. Most headphones today over emphasize bass and sometimes treble. These do not, what you hear from these is very close to what the signal actually is, they will need to broken in to sound their best, 100 hrs. or so. One more thing, they're no longer being made in Austria, like most other things these days, they're made in China. The pair I have are Chinese made, they still sound incredible so I doubt there's a percievable difference. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HansDelbruck said:

I also own a pair of these, along with a set of Oppo PM-3s, and a pair of Focal Elears. The AKG K701s are among the clearest sounding cans you'll find in the under $500 price range. They are very close to reference, and many people criticize them for lacking bass. Most headphones today over emphasize bass and sometimes treble. These do not, what you hear from these is very close to what the signal actually is, they will need to broken in to sound their best, 100 hrs. or so. One more thing, they're no longer being made in Austria, like most other things these days, they're made in China. The pair I have are Chinese made, they still sound incredible so I doubt there's a percievable difference. 

Agree 100%... mine are Chinese made as well. Amazing clarity, for any purpose... playing. recording, mixing, or passive listening. They cover your ears completely (unless you're Dumbo, ;) ), and are quite comfortable to wear for long sessions. My only real gripe is the cushions... mine got kinda grungy after about 18 months of (almost) daily use. AKG demands an absurd $40 for replacement pads, but I found compatible aftermarket ones on Amazon for $18. They fit perfectly, and are just as comfy. 

• Like 1

Again, this is all very good information. It's great to have such support in making an informed decision. I forgot about the change in manufacturing origin (I had them several years ago), but you are right that most are made in the far east now. I also remember now about the long break-in time for the K701. It makes sense in starting from a balanced point of reference, then EQ if/as needed. Nice to hear they are still considered compared to the headphones mentioned (Oppos, Focals, etc.) I will definitely take a closer look at the K701 as a possibility.