Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69S First three string modeling off

Hi Folks,

I’ve searched and found bits and pieces of things that sound like my issue but not quite there.  My Variax sounds fine magnetic.  Modeled is another issue.  If I am any modeled guitar, I have the issue but more predominantly when tuned 1/2 step down.  The 6, 5, and 4 strings sound fine.  Slight ‘wobble’ in the 3, increasingly works on 2 and furthermore on 1. 

If I strike the first string easily it sounds like two strings playing slightly off.  This is not the acoustic of the string coming off the guitar, is is through the amp.  I had a proper setup just performed as I’ve read some issues that were fixed this way.

WHen I received the guitar secondhand two months ago I updated the firmware.

Anyone experience the same problem?

Hi there....can't guarantee that this will help, but it's worth a try....clean the piezo pickups in the bridge with a q-tip and some alcohol....plus I had similar issues with the Rick 12 string models and others...I plugged into my new Vox MV50 amp, and now the Rick model sounds perfect, and I now like all the models, not sure why....

On 12/1/2018 at 4:25 PM, prudenjim said:

This is not the acoustic of the string coming off the guitar, is is through the amp.  I had a proper setup just performed as I’ve read some issues that were fixed this way.

Nobody ever thinks that this could be the problem at first...I certainly didn't. But the truth is, it's is a whole lot easier to hear the guitar acoustically than you think. The raw acoustic sound of the instrument is easily ignored when what's coming out of the amp is the same pitch, but add alt tunings at close intervals, and you've got a recipe for super- annoying dissonance. The way to test it is to record just the guitar direct into a DAW using an alt tuning...no amp, no mics... then listen to the playback. If you don't hear two pitches simultaneously in the playback, then you've got your answer. Many of us learned this the hard way, after being convinced that there was something wrong with the guitar.

The warbling you described could just be that the mag pickups are a little too close to the strings. Back them off a bit and see if it goes away. 

@prudenjim

Either the "dual tone effect" where you are hearing the string from the guitar and the Alt Tuned signal

through the amp, or the pick-up heights between the string and pick-ups are not set correctly. Either way,

being in Alt Tune will make this effect more apparent.

Turning the amp up or using headphones minimizes "dual tone effect", while adjusting the pick-up heights

will minimize warbling from magnetic field pull on the strings.