Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp Expression Pedal default settings issue

jackkate

My apologies if this has been answered before, I searched but could not find it.

Is this normal?  On my HX Stomp, I have an expression pedal set up to control the master volume on my amp model.  This works fine with the pedal plugged in, no issues.  BUT, when there is no pedal plugged in the value of the Master defaults to 0.0.  I had expected that the patch would revert to the original saved volume.

So, if I forget my expression pedal, or the cable goes bad, any patch I have set up this way has no output.  I understand the logic if this is normal, it's just not what I expected - the only other unit I've used with an expression pedal is the Zoom G3.

If it is normal, I'll set up duplicate patches in case I forget the pedal or it fails.  This is not a big deal, but I don't want to do it and later find out I didn't have to.

Thanks is advance for any help!

Don't know for sure that it's normal - I think it is, because I've had it happen to me as well.  Seems to me that the simplest hack would be to just go into each patch (unless you use dozens of them - ?) and bypass - just turn off - the volume block and save the preset right where it is, no name change, no move.  Now, unless you turn it on purposefully, or have a snapshot that engages it, it's off/bypassed.  When you have the pedal plugged, go back and engage the block and re-save, already set for controller.  Now if you use dozens of individual patches, that might take some time on the fly, maybe a mirror bank with no volume pedal would be simplest.  

Just occurred to me that maybe the lack of signal with nothing plugged in is the same as a volume pedal moved to position zero - so the volume block responds at zero.  Anyone out there actually know for real - mine's a total SWAG. 

• Thanks 1

I believe what you're describing is the expected behavior. It's probably related to the EXP Position parameters under Global Settings>EXP Pedals. If you have that set to Global, the value of the parameters controlled by the pedal will always reflect the actual position of the expression pedal(s). If you have it set to Per Preset or Per Snapshot, the value that is recalled with the preset or snapshot will reflect whatever position the pedal was at when you saved the preset and/or snapshot.

d37b22d0-cbc3-40e4-8808-1a7e7fbb0d89.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the response guys.  Phil M nailed it - once I changed it to "Preset" instead of "global" it was all good.

Now of course, there's another issue.  On some patches, it recognized "EXP 1" as the controller and responds.  On some other patches, I have to set it to "EXP 2" for it to respond.  This is with the same pedal plugged in the same way.  Not that big of a deal, I must be doing something else wrong!

Phil M - I've seen you on TGP quite a bit - always very helpful.  Much appreciated.

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2018 at 7:58 AM, jackkate said:

Thanks for the response guys.  Phil M nailed it - once I changed it to "Preset" instead of "global" it was all good.

Now of course, there's another issue.  On some patches, it recognized "EXP 1" as the controller and responds.  On some other patches, I have to set it to "EXP 2" for it to respond.  This is with the same pedal plugged in the same way.  Not that big of a deal, I must be doing something else wrong!

Phil M - I've seen you on TGP quite a bit - always very helpful.  Much appreciated.

Hopefully not a double post as I wasn't logged in on my previous submit.

Anyway, regarding issue number 2 quoted above. I have the same issue. A single cheepie Nektar pedal plugged in, no switch, and some presets see it on exp 1 while most see it on exp 2. All for the wah block. I tried to set all presets to exp 2, but one preset still doesn't see it on exp 2. Global position is set to global. On v3.0 now.

Thanks!

@panickc yes same problem here. also on v3.0 now. i had this issue before. sometimes a new start works and it is detected for exp1 again.

but this is an annoying issue. sometimes the before changes from exp1 to exp2 for no reason.

had this issue before 3.0 too.

if someone has an idea how to force the expression pedal to be exp1 all the time i would be really happy. ;)

i think it is because of footswitch 5 which is default configured to toggle between the to expression pedals exp1 and exp2.
and if you use a cheap expression pedals without button (as i do too) sometimes the footswitch 5 is triggered (because of the connector) although there is no footswitch

• 9 months later...

I'm still getting exp1 changing to exp2 for no reason. Seems to be fine for newly created presets, but older ones see it as exp2 and can confirm this by using the learn function.

On a blank preset, adding for example a wah block, everything works automatically. EXP1 sweeps and FS5 turns the block on/off. All without having to assign anything manually. Awesome. 

When I add a wah block to a saved patch fs5 works as it should, however the sweep (which should be coming from EXP1) isn't working. When I manually change the sweep to EXP2 or use the learn feature EXP2 then works. 

Both FS4 and FS5 are programmed to just be themselves rather than swap exp or doing other duties. 

I'm on the latest firmware. Be good to know if anyone is still facing this weirdness. Apologies if this has already been addressed, but this is the most relevant topics after doing a search.