Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix-to-Variax model select failing

johnbeamon

My Helix (2.70) had snapshots designed to select models on a Variax Shuriken. It worked for hours of practices and rehearsal during the week. Sunday morning, it worked for two run-throughs and one church service. I rolled the volume down on the Shuriken and disengaged the Variax knob during each break, and battery was charged to 4 dots. Middle of second service, the snapshots would no longer force model changes. The display for "Preset Variax Model" showed the cursor moving back and forth along the "values" line, but the label never changed from "R-Billy 3" and the instrument sound never changed. Tuning select DID remain functional.

I tried moving to a preset that didn't use Variax, turning the Variax model knob off and back on, all to no effect. I finished the set choosing models with the knob. After power cycling the Helix later, this feature worked again. Is this a known issue? I'd be relieved that it's no more "broken" than a power cycle will fix, but I know power cycling during songs is not standard behavior.

I've had a few instances where my variaxs have taken a little time to synch with the helix, sometimes requires a patch change on first connect, but never required a reboot.  If I was trouble shooting I'd start with a different cable. For testing any old network cable will work fine.

I'm wondering why you need the battery in the Shruiken, as for the other variaxs the cable supplies power. 

Also why take it out of variax mode during breaks?  When I gig everything is powered on from set-up to the end of the night, and I just turn down the guitar volume (oh and have an empty patch between sets - I use a patch per song due to the range of covers we play).

6 hours ago, waymda said:

I'm wondering why you need the battery in the Shruiken, as for the other variaxs the cable supplies power. 

Good question. This could be the problem. Not only is it not necessary to use the battery and 1/4" Variax output while also using VDI it is also potentially harmful to the Variax. My suggestion to the OP is to remove the 1/4" jack from the Variax, which also disengages the battery. Use only the VDI connection for the Variax audio output.

28 minutes ago, silverhead said:

Good question. This could be the problem. Not only is it not necessary to use the battery and 1/4" Variax output while also using VDI it is also potentially harmful to the Variax. My suggestion to the OP is to remove the 1/4" jack from the Variax, which also disengages the battery. Use only the VDI connection for the Variax audio output.

You've misunderstood my situation. I'm only using VDI; I never said I was using a 1/4". There's no mention in the manual that having the battery in while VDI is connected is "potentially harmful" in any way. It was leftover from a previous set.

6 hours ago, waymda said:

I've had a few instances where my variaxs have taken a little time to synch with the helix, sometimes requires a patch change on first connect, but never required a reboot.  If I was trouble shooting I'd start with a different cable. For testing any old network cable will work fine.

Also why take it out of variax mode during breaks?  When I gig everything is powered on from set-up to the end of the night, and I just turn down the guitar volume (oh and have an empty patch between sets - I use a patch per song due to the range of covers we play).

This is a new VDI cable, Line 6 brand. It had about ten hours of use, including 5 minutes before this Helix command failure.

The battery was leftover from a previous set. The manual does not contraindicate leaving the battery in with the VDI cable plugged in, even if it's disengaged.