Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

110 ohm XLR?

Thark

I just purchased a Line 6 Powercab Plus to mate up with my Helix and reading the manual I find that for the L6 Link digital connection between the two the recommended cable is 110 ohm XLR. This implies to me that there are other XLR cables with differing impedance ratings which I did not know until now. I've got lots of XLR cables in my studio but have no idea what their impedance ratings are or even how to find out (easily, that is). Is this recommended impedance really that important or can I just use any cable lying around?

Its because its the standard for an AES/EBU cable - transferring digital information not analog.  Do I really know the difference? No, but I brought 110 ohm spec cables when I was using a HD500x into DT amps.  Never had an issue with them so kept using them.

Bit of a discussion about the differences here https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/157424-cable-question-xlr-vs-aes-ebu.html 

And there's some discussion in the line 6 forums which I found by googling "powercab standard xlr vs aes" but can't get to just right now for some reason.