Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Hard time doing clean

Melissiah

I’m having hard time doing clean sound to my taste with my variax in lester 1 and 5.

I want a pristine clean but there is always some grit or lack of high definition.

I also want a vox ac30 that I can break on hard picking but the grit sound fake compare to a Real amp.

Any tips for me or link to custom tone?

thanks

ps: I also have many questions on the last topic of the dream rig section

Your two questions are related to each other... 

There are two volumes (sometimes more) on each amp. The channel volume toward the end, and the drive volume is toward the beginning. For prestine cleans, keep your channel volume really high and your drive volume lower. For a touch of grit (responsive to picking), find a balance between them. The higher you put the drive volume, the more gain there will be. 

The Lester positions are louder than most others on the Variax.... that is the same in real life with a real Les Paul. If the guitar output is louder, that is exactly the same as "raising the gain level" on the amp model. Reduce the gain level, and raise the channel volume to keep it clean.

Of course... all of that varies from amp model to amp model, and gets even more complicated as you add effects. Everything worth while takes time :) 

11 minutes ago, Melissiah said:

I also want a vox ac30 that I can break on hard picking but the grit sound fake compare to a Real amp.

There are so many variables to consider. I actually find that the Helix is remarkably close in this regard. There are three AC30 models in the Helix... try them all to find one you like most. There is the Fawn Normal, Fawn Bright and Essex A30. Check out the You Tube lessons from Jason Sadites on setting up some of these amps on the Helix.

• Upvote 1