Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Another guitar to Helix (gain is gone)

Soultrainer

I tried to plug another guitar to helix Aux In and I can hear from both guitars but the guitar plugged to Aux In is much weaker tone. I think volume is pretty much same but the gain is gone, like 50% was taken away. Shoudl I plug it to Aux In or somewhere else and is it possible to have normal gain and tone. I know that it should be possible to have 2 guitar with different tones. Also I would like those guitar sounds come from left and right monitors, I mean both from their own monitor. I tried to tweak Helix editor but I could only mute the other guitar from another monitor, no matter what I did. So, is it possible to have 2 guitars so that the gain isnt supressed. I read somewhere that the other guitar should have active pups if you want good/full tone, is that true?

I also trie Richie Castallanos Sitting In (patch for 2 guitars) patch but I cant hear anything from neither guitar when I use that. Even if I put the volumes 100% there is no sound at all.

The Aux in isn't an instrument input, its expecting a line-level signal (or at least a pre-amped signal like active pickups/bass). If you want L/R guitars you'll need two complete signal chains (two amps, two cabs, two sets of FX) that have to start at the input (add a block, drag it down to the second row, then change that input to AUX). With a passive guitar into the aux you can add a GAIN block at the beginning of the chain to boost the signal up to hit the models the way you like.

Apologies if any of this is obvious, but I always find its the silliest of mistakes that should be obvious whenever I'm having issues.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

The Aux in isn't an instrument input, its expecting a line-level signal (or at least a pre-amped signal like active pickups/bass). If you want L/R guitars you'll need two complete signal chains (two amps, two cabs, two sets of FX) that have to start at the input (add a block, drag it down to the second row, then change that input to AUX). With a passive guitar into the aux you can add a GAIN block at the beginning of the chain to boost the signal up to hit the models the way you like.

Apologies if any of this is obvious, but I always find its the silliest of mistakes that should be obvious whenever I'm having issues.

Thanks man but shouldnt that Castellanos patch work. I put the other guitar to Return 1. No sound from neither guitar. When I change patch I can hear guitar 1 normally.

Link to the Castellanos video:

Weird that I cant hear anything from Castellanos patch, there isnt even any IR in it and I tried to change amps, nothing.

4 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

If you downloaded that patch and you have your L 1/4" input plugged into one amp and the Send 1/2 1/4" output plugged into another amp and you're not getting signal out of the second side, I'm at a loss. That would be the proper set-up. 

Other guitar is plugged normally to Helix Rack front side and other to Return 1 like Castellano says. Not a single sound comes out. Well, I try it later and see if there has been any advice, no time for that now. Thanks.

Reconfigure Path 2A's Input Block to be one of the FX Returns. Set the Global I/O for that FX Return to Instrument Level. 

Another alternative would be to use a wireless Guitar Interface like Line 6's G10 to connect the guitar to the Helix's Aux In jack. The G10's 1/4" output is Line Level. This method does not require use of the FX Return. 

2 hours ago, MusicLaw said:

Reconfigure Path 2A's Input Block to be one of the FX Returns. Set the Global I/O for that FX Return to Instrument Level. 

Another alternative would be to use a wireless Guitar Interface like Line 6's G10 to connect the guitar to the Helix's Aux In jack. The G10's 1/4" output is Line Level. This method does not require use of the FX Return. 

I dont understand  why would I reconfigure Path 2A input to Return 1 when its already Return 1, well I did click it to other option and back to Return 1, no change. 

I cant hear anything from neither guitar that is really weird, its like that patch is some kind of virus that kills all the sounds from Helix. I had same issue with some patches before I downloaded but I realized that some of them were for Variax and some of them included stuff that were only in nevwer updates, so when I updated my gear they worked. but this Sitting In patch is really weird since what ever you do you cant get a single tone out of anything. 

Recheck all your settings and verify all your cables are good.

Then, re-create the Preset from scratch using an Empty Preset.

I have seen infrequent reports of problems with some imported Presets or those converted from prior fw versions.

Otherwise, submit a Support Ticket to Line 6 so the team can get a look at your scenario.

Do post back your finding, regardless, if the problem persists, or you resolve it, so all may share in the learning.