Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mod a Boss FV-500 to work with Helix/HX and a footswitch

MarshallArts

• I don't know, if this has been described somewhere else, but I thought I'd share it. I wanted to use my Line6 HX Stomp with an existing volume pedal (Boss FV-500-L) and a momentary footswitch.
  • To use the expression output of the volume pedal alone with the HX, no modifications are required, just make sure you use a TRS (stereo) cable (mono - TS - won't work).
  • If you want to use an additional footswitch (which will show up as FS5 (!) in the HX) you need to get hold of the ring and the sleve of the TRS cable and connect a momentary footswitch. I found the easiest way to do it was to add a mono (TS) jack to the volume pedal and connect it to the jack PCB as shown.
  • Don't be irritated by the dc jack I also added to the pedal: I added a buffer to the pedal as well, but the mod for the HX is completely passive / does not require power.

IMG-20181201-194251.jpg
IMG-20181201-194740.jpg
IMG-20181201-194749.jpg
IMG-20181201-200056.jpg

• Like 1

Great mod!

I have that pedal and i'm sorry I can't use it. It's a great pedal.

Can you get a good linear sweep as an expression pedal?

Mine jitters a lot and i think the ride is short. Starts working about half the way...

Does yours do that? 

On 12/4/2018 at 9:50 AM, MarshallArts said:
  •  
  • If you want to use an additional footswitch (which will show up as FS5 (!) in the HX) you need to get hold of the ring and the sleve of the TRS cable and connect a momentary footswitch. I found the easiest way to do it was to add a mono (TS) jack to the volume pedal and connect it to the jack PCB as shown.
  •  

Do you mean you double existing Footswitch 5  by doing this?

53 minutes ago, MarshallArts said:

The vol pedal needs a trs cable. Could have made a trs into ts and trs as well. But this way, I only need one long trs cable and a short ts cable. Stuff, I always have in my cable box, so no need for special cables, which I tend to forget at home... 

Okay, that makes sense. I get it now.  Nicely done!

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2018 at 9:50 AM, MarshallArts said:
  • To use the expression output of the volume pedal alone with the HX, no modifications are required, just make sure you use a TRS (stereo) cable (mono - TS - won't work).

Since I am reading conflicting arguments on this. How well does the HX Stomp work with the Boss FV-500 (H in mine case) with a TRS cable as you mentioned. Does it accomodate the full sweep without noise/errors?