Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just ordered myself a Helix!

isak531

So as the title says, I just ordered myself a Helix (floor version) and I sure am excited, should arrive by the beginning of next week!

Wondering though if I would like to try the different amp models etc out how would I do that best? Playing into the fx loop of my current amp or into my pc by usb?

My current gear is a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2525H with a matching 4x12 cab, also got a Fender Bassbreaker 007 combo. Other than that I've got a "normal" gaming PC with gaming headset.

Some advice and tips that doesnt involve spending more money are most welcome!

13 hours ago, isak531 said:

Wondering though if I would like to try the different amp models etc out how would I do that best? Playing into the fx loop of my current amp or into my pc by usb?

My current gear is a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2525H with a matching 4x12 cab, also got a Fender Bassbreaker 007 combo. Other than that I've got a "normal" gaming PC with gaming headset.

The best way to get to know the Helix is into a full range setup. This can be studio monitors, FRFR box, quality headphones, etc... When used like that you get to hear all of the amp/cab modeling. How good is your gaming "headset"... and/or do you have a decent set of full range speakers for the computer?

If that is not an option, then plug into the power amp input (or effects return) on your amp. When you do this, you should use Helix amp models without cab/mic sims since you are already going through a cabinet. You can try the full models, just don't expect the best results in doing so. 

Of course there is always the 4 cable method... but that is like running before you learned how to walk. 

The thing to remember in this situation is the Helix will only be as good as the output device it's played through.  Personally I don't think that fact is stressed enough to new buyers and therefore the output devices they tend to use are afterthoughts rather than an essential part of the system they're wanting to build.  The Helix will work fine through your return loop and cabinet, but you'll be missing out and a fairly big part of what it's capable of doing and how flexible it can be without the cabinet models and IRs.  I really encourage you to think about this and maybe make some plans in order to take full advantage of what it has to offer.

1 hour ago, DunedinDragon said:

The Helix will work fine through your return loop and cabinet, but you'll be missing out and a fairly big part of what it's capable of doing and how flexible it can be without the cabinet models and IRs.  I really encourage you to think about this and maybe make some plans in order to take full advantage of what it has to offer.

To the OP: What's highlighted above is critical... in other words, if you run Helix through a Marshall, it's gonna sound like a Marshall. Run it through the Bassbreaker, and it's gonna sound like a Fender. If you really want to use it to it's full potential, your output needs to be a clean slate... that means some sort of FRFR speaker(s).

I'd also stay away from the gaming headset... in all likelihood the frequency response isn't anything close to flat. In fact it's probably deliberately bass-heavy, which may make EQing you'r patches a challenge. 

Yeah from what Ive read using it through my headset seems pointless. Ive got regular speakers and a subwoofer for my pc, probably included in some PC package deal from 10 years ago, so dont expect too much quality from them but maybe itll be good enough for now?

Of course eventually ill look to purchase better monitors for my pc, headset and perhaps even an FRFR cab but for now ive gotta stick to what I have.

2 minutes ago, isak531 said:

Yeah from what Ive read using it through my headset seems pointless. Ive got regular speakers and a subwoofer for my pc, probably included in some PC package deal from 10 years ago, so dont expect too much quality from them but maybe itll be good enough for now?

Of course eventually ill look to purchase better monitors for my pc, headset and perhaps even an FRFR cab but for now ive gotta stick to what I have.

A small pair of studio monitors is a great way to go...JBL LSR305's are great for the money, and don't have a huge footprint. The sky's the limit like everything else, but there are many choices in the sub-$300/ pair category that are practically guaranteed to give you better performance than something that was designed for video game sound fx.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello so I've just received my Helix, however I can't seem to find a way to play it through my PC? 

As far as I've understood if you want to use the Helix through your PC you have to use the Helix as your computer's sound card, so therefore I would have to connect my PC monitors or PC headset into the Helix; however the output jacks of both my headset and PC monitors are too small as I seem to need either an XLR jack or 1/4?

Is there something I'm missing here? 

5 minutes ago, isak531 said:

Hello so I've just received my Helix, however I can't seem to find a way to play it through my PC? 

As far as I've understood if you want to use the Helix through your PC you have to use the Helix as your computer's sound card, so therefore I would have to connect my PC monitors or PC headset into the Helix; however the output jacks of both my headset and PC monitors are too small as I seem to need either an XLR jack or 1/4?

Is there something I'm missing here? 

You could probably make either work with the appropriate adapter(s), but honestly you don't want to use generic PC speakers anyway. They are almost universally awful, and you've just purchased some top-shelf gear... don't skimp on the output. You wouldn't put 4 space-saver spare tires on a Ferrari.

Speakers are a HUGE part of your sound. Either a good pair of studio reference headphones, and/or monitors is what you need.

Yeah I'll look into some better monitors; read some people having issues using adapters etc with Helix so don't think I'll go with that option. Got my Marshall to use for now I suppose.

These sort of speakers you talk of are studio monitors right? Such as the one you suggested above? I'd be able to use these for everything I do with my Helix as well with my PC, right? Such as watching movies, listening to music, youtube etc?

And if you don't mind yet another question, if I buy a pair of studio monitors for lets say 200-300 euros what will that get me? Will it get me some really good/decent speakers or will I end up buying another pair of new monitors in a year or two for a higher price/quality?

25 minutes ago, isak531 said:

Yeah I'll look into some better monitors; read some people having issues using adapters etc with Helix so don't think I'll go with that option. Got my Marshall to use for now I suppose.

These sort of speakers you talk of are studio monitors right? Such as the one you suggested above? I'd be able to use these for everything I do with my Helix as well with my PC, right? Such as watching movies, listening to music, youtube etc?

And if you don't mind yet another question, if I buy a pair of studio monitors for lets say 200-300 euros what will that get me? Will it get me some really good/decent speakers or will I end up buying another pair of new monitors in a year or two for a higher price/quality?

Decent studio monitors don't have to cost a fortune... and the are many choices in the sub- $300/ pair category. Size drives the price, really... just depends on the available space. I have a pair of JBL LSR305's, and I like them a lot. They're fairly small af monitors go, only 5" drivers, but they deliver plenty of low end given the size, and have a reasonably flat response. 

You can do anything you want with them... the smaller ones won't deliver stage-volume levels, but that's not what they're for anyway. 

Good call on getting monitors - you won't regret it.  Personally I have KRK Rokit 6's - they do the job extremely well in my opinion, especially in a small room - you can crank them to gig like volume without distortion, which is important when dialling in patches.  Just over 300 euros though.

9 minutes ago, isak531 said:

Looking at some studio monitors now, but I'm not sure what to think regarding the passive vs active speakers.

What are the pro's / con's when it comes to using them for Helix?

Aside from the fact that you'll need a power amp to drive passive speakers (which of course is another expense,  unless you've got a relatively transparent amp laying around), it really makes no difference...the speakers' frequency response is what matters. Where the juice is coming from is largely irrelevant.

1 minute ago, isak531 said:

Alright, so then I'm leaning towards either the Yamaha HS7 or KRK RP6G3, any thoughts regarding these 2?

No experience with the KRK's, but I have a buddy with a small project studio, and he's got those Yamaha's... We've recorded a couple of album's worth of tunes with them, no complaints. 

Just to stir up things a bit, I just got a L6 Powercab Plus which sounds absolutely fabulous to my ears. The speaker sims are very realistic ... sounds like a real amp or rather, amps since my Helix is set up with an array of different amp models.  I tried a set of FRFR speakers but they really didn't sound all that good to me.

13 minutes ago, Thark said:

I tried a set of FRFR speakers but they really didn't sound all that good to me.

FRFR is a different animal, and thus requires a different approach. Some warm to it, some don't. Nothing wrong with wanting the "amp in the room" thing. Personally, I'm perfectly content with "amp in the next room"... ...3 cheers for options! ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Potentially stupid question - I'm assuming those of you using studio monitors are going from you Helix, to the DAW on your laptop/desktop, and from there to the monitors? Is there anything that needs to go between monitors like the ones mentioned here and the computer? Or can they be connected directly to the computer?

I believe that's incorrect. From what I've understood the PC will run all it's sound through the USB into the Helix (using it as a soundcard) and then out into the monitors. At least that's what happened when I accidentally played some Youtube clip through my Marshall cab lol.

Got another question though, if I buy let's say a pair of these Yamaha 7s, I'd then connect 1 of them into the 1/4" jack of my Helix and then connect the 2nd one into another 1/4" jack or into the XLR if I wish, correct?

And are these cables usually included when buying the monitors or will I have to purchase them separately?

15 hours ago, simplycycling said:

Potentially stupid question - I'm assuming those of you using studio monitors are going from you Helix, to the DAW on your laptop/desktop, and from there to the monitors? Is there anything that needs to go between monitors like the ones mentioned here and the computer? Or can they be connected directly to the computer?

Depending on how much horsepower your computer has, if you set things up that way and try to monitor through the DAW, you may run into some latency problems...but there's no need to do it that way. Just connect the monitors directly to the L and R outs on Helix, and monitor that way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, isak531 said:

I believe that's incorrect. From what I've understood the PC will run all it's sound through the USB into the Helix (using it as a soundcard) and then out into the monitors. At least that's what happened when I accidentally played some Youtube clip through my Marshall cab lol.

Got another question though, if I buy let's say a pair of these Yamaha 7s, I'd then connect 1 of them into the 1/4" jack of my Helix and then connect the 2nd one into another 1/4" jack or into the XLR if I wish, correct?

And are these cables usually included when buying the monitors or will I have to purchase them separately?

Correct... either the 1/4" or XLR outs will work just fine. Monitors generally do not come with cables. 

16 minutes ago, isak531 said:

Alright, could you please send me the link to both a 1/4" cable and a XLR cable that would work with the Yamaha 7?

These are standard cables... nothing special. 

• Quality guitar cables for the 1/4"... (keep the distance as short as possible... 15' max would be my suggestion)
  • Any decent mic cables for the XLR's.... length is not an issue with these.
14 hours ago, isak531 said:

I'd then connect 1 of them into the 1/4" jack of my Helix and then connect the 2nd one into another 1/4" jack or into the XLR if I wish, correct?

Don't mix the outputs... use both 1/4" outs or both XLR outs to the monitors

IMO.... I'd run XLR cables to the monitors so length becomes a non-issue, then you can use the 1/4" out guitar amps or other devices should you choose to do so. 

BTW... the HS-7's are great monitors... if you get those you won't be disappointed.  They won't have stage level volume, but they are perfect for home and studio use. 

I have my Helix floor outputs going into a a stereo  channel of a  Mackie ProFX12v2 mixer (which I use for other things as well, such as synths). The mixer is also an Audio interface so USB out from the mixer goes to a MAC for recording.  The studio monitors JBL LSR308's are plugged into the mixer main outs, which works well as I can monitor the output signal going to the speakers on the mixer, use the mixer for headphones, and control volume output levels.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So ive got my monitors now but got some questions!

How should I set them up? Should I just put their volume at 12 a clock and leave it like that and adjust the overall volume on the Helix using the big master volume knob? Getting some weird distortion sound sometimes (digital clipping?) Or should I put the monitorsat max volume to keep the Helix' master volume as low as possible?

Also having bought a few of Glenn DeLaunes patches, generally what sort of settings should I adjust to get the best result? Mostly the drive/distortion to fit my guitar I guess but what else? Any general advice?

Or should I put the monitorsat max volume to keep the Helix' master volume as low as possible?

It's a trade off...if the speakers are run full and you crank the volume on the Helix you could blow them with excessive power. But if you set the speakers too low and have to crank the Helix you could create input clipping which is something speakers hate just as much as excessive power. The trick is "matching" the two to give you a safe range to work with.

It's all about knowing your gear. The back of the HS-7 (assuming that is what you settled on) has a dial that goes from "min > +4 > -10" which is not very intuitive at all. That is "input reference", not "output volume". It's acts like a volume, but it's more of a line matching setup. I believe the HELIX (when set to line out) is PRO LEVEL +4... but I cannot verify this right now... maybe someone else can.

If I had a set of HS-7's in my studio, I would set it to +4 since that is optimal for my mixer. I would know that when my mixer reached 0 on the meters, I'd be hitting the speakers with a "safe" full volume..... do not exceed without possible consequences. If the HELIX is +4 at line level & if your patches are balanced... that same setting should give you a comfortable range with the HELIX BIG volume control. I would expect to run the HELIX volume around 1/2 way (give or take a little) for comfortable levels in a home setup. 

Im currently running the Helix output master at about 1 a clock and the HS7 at +4 db.

So I should leave them like that and only adjust the stuff inside the Helix, balancing the volume etc to my current output master and monitor settings?

Im currently running the Helix output master at about 1 a clock and the HS7 at +4 db.

So I should leave them like that and only adjust the stuff inside the Helix, balancing the volume etc to my current output master and monitor settings?

Are those settings clipping the input of the Yamaha's? If not, I think you are on the right path and should continue with that. My hunch is those settings should produce a fairly loud guitar signal... likely around 85 - 90db in a small room. 

If there is input clipping then that would suggest that the Helix Patches may be too loud. Without meters in the Helix this can be very difficult to figure out directly. You could set your output to "INSTRUMENT LEVEL" (rather than line level) then turn the Yamaha's up to the -10 setting and see if that helps with the input clipping. THIS IS NOT OPTIMAL... I'm just suggesting this as a troubleshooting measure if needed.  

• 3 weeks later...

So I recently bought a Line6 Powercab 112 Plus to go with my Helix. I thought my Studio monitors sounded pretty good but this thing is much more amp like, can do FRFR and Cab emulations, plus gives the ability to free up the Cab slot DSP in the Helix for even more effects if wanted, highly recommended to check one out !!!

The only bad thing is it now has me wanting to get a 2nd one for full stereo, but that will probably be awhile.

• Like 1