Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

hx stomp, but in hx effects format...?

rudomat

am i the only one to want an hx stomp, just in hx effects size...??? i do need at least the switches from the hx effects...i just want the modelers as well...!!! so i don´t want to switch to the other unit...is there any chance, sthg like that will come...???

Well they don't invite me to their R&D meetings, but there are already 5 different Helix hardware devices...6 if you count the controller for the rack unit. I wouldn't hold my breath for any more "intermediate" versions. They've covered about as many bases as possible...certainly more than I thought they would. There will always be somebody who wants one more of "X', or one less of "Y", but trying to satisfy every conceivable whim is futile, and financially ruinous. 

The thing is the Stomp and the HX Effects both cost Line 6 the same to make, and there are few hardware differences on the Stomp related to amp modeling functionality that would most likely raise the cost when added to an HX Effect style housing. I'm thinking mainly of the variable input impedance, the master volume functionality and the headphone out. Those may all be relatively minor things, but maybe they add $50 - $100 more to total cost... If the device becomes $700, would people still want it or, or would they just decide to go with the LT for a little more?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Well they don't invite me to their R&D meetings, but there are already 5 different Helix hardware devices...6 if you count the controller for the rack unit. I wouldn't hold my breath for any more "intermediate" versions. They've covered about as many bases as possible...certainly more than I thought they would. There will always be somebody who wants one more of "X', or one less of "Y", but trying to satisfy every conceivable whim is futile, and financially ruinous. 

am i the only one to think those two units should change housings...wouldn´t it make much more sense to have the smaller housing for the fx only unit, and the bigger chassis for the bigger unit...???

1 hour ago, rudomat said:

am i the only one to think those two units should change housings...wouldn´t it make much more sense to have the smaller housing for the fx only unit, and the bigger chassis for the bigger unit...???

I think the idea is that an HX Effects user is likely going to need more stomp switches than an HX Stomp user, as the Stomp user will likely have blocks that don't really warrant switches (e.g. amp and cab blocks).

I doubt it was unintentional, either. HXFX integrates with a normal guitar rig and offers more switching, but no amp models. So if you want amp models and adequate switching, you need get the LT. HXStomp IS a guitar rig with amp modeling, but limited FX blocks and switching, so if you need more blocks or switching, you need to get the LT. So they've covered a few specific use cases people were asking about at a lower price, but with limited functionality to drive people on the fence towards a more full-featured product. Smart, if you ask me, other than they have to wait a few months to get my money for the LT since the Stomp is just a little too limited for me to justify the cost for a B rig.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rudomat said:

no...as i said the hx effects

I'll concede that the LT is a little bigger, but in terms of what it offers... it would be the logical "stomp but like an HX Effects" choice. They both have 8 stomp switches (but LT adds the bank and preset switches as well as an expression pedal) and you'd need to have the screen that the LT has. And actually I guess you would need to add the scribble strips, so the Floor would be the closer option. So the only thing you could feasibly change is removing the expression pedal and a few switches. This would cut down the size of the unit by a few inches, sure, but it doesn't make a lot of sense financially for Line 6 to spend time creating it when it probably only costs them about $20 in parts less to make. Your cost savings would be similarly meager.

by the way...i think you all oversee one thing...after having released the hx stomp, line6 is going to reduce the hx effects price anyway sooner or later...in fact it is cheaper allready...and i´m pretty sure many people would prefer buying the hx stomp in hx effects format than the very, very small stomp...so i think, they could continue selling the hx effects for at least the same price  or actually still more expensive than the stomp, if it ony had the amp models included...!!! that´s for sure!!!

59 minutes ago, rudomat said:

by the way...i think you all oversee one thing...after having released the hx stomp, line6 is going to reduce the hx effects price anyway sooner or later...in fact it is cheaper allready...and i´m pretty sure many people would prefer buying the hx stomp in hx effects format than the very, very small stomp...so i think, they could continue selling the hx effects for at least the same price  or actually still more expensive than the stomp, if it ony had the amp models included...!!! that´s for sure!!!

In the US, the HX Stomp and HX Effects are exactly the same price, and I don’t expect either to drop in price for quite awhile. In fact, they may increase in price because of the tariff issues.

I don’t really expect another hardware iteration of the Helix. I wouldn’t say it’s entirely impossible, but I think the issue is that cannibalization can start happening, where the release of too many skus makes certain ones less profitable. I think this is what happened with the HD300 and 400 back in the day.

2 hours ago, rudomat said:

Actually I think it's you that's overlooking something pretty important here.  Combining the HX Effects and HX Stomp in a unit the size of the HX Effects means, given the pricing of the individual units, you would have a unit likely in exactly the same price arena as the Helix LT, but with far less capabilities including half the overall DSP capabilities and several other features.  Why would anyone do that?  I'm not even sure how you could present a marketing case for such a thing.

So... a Helix LT or Floor, then, since they've got the expression pedal built in (which eliminates the need for one of your expression pedals). I do not see why you are still arguing this, you are just asking for an LT or Floor but with two less buttons. That makes no financial sense for Line 6 to make and frankly doesn't even make any sense in your use case. You could also, you know, buy a slightly larger pedal board...

1 hour ago, njglover said:

So... a Helix LT or Floor, then, since they've got the expression pedal built in (which eliminates the need for one of your expression pedals). I do not see why you are still arguing this, you are just asking for an LT or Floor but with two less buttons. That makes no financial sense for Line 6 to make and frankly doesn't even make any sense in your use case. You could also, you know, buy a slightly larger pedal board...

that´s not slightly larger...it´s much bigger in the end!!! did you ever have many gigs, carrying your stuff yourself...? believe me, there are many people wanting this...an hx effects with modelers...

1 minute ago, rudomat said:

that´s not slightly larger...it´s much bigger in the end!!! did you ever have many gigs, carrying your stuff yourself...? believe me, there are many people wanting this...an hx effects with modelers...

That's gonna be the LT. If you need something smaller that does everything there are a plethora of options from various manufacturers, just not L6. If you need something that does all the Helix stuff, there's the Stomp/LT/Floor, none of which are much of a pain to cart to a gig.

I'm always carrying all my stuff for gigs... Uphill both ways!

• Like 1

Yeah, a 2x12 (~60 lbs), a 100-watt tube head (also ~ 60 lbs), and a PT Pro with flight case (~40 lbs maybe). That's why I bought the Helix in the first place, can carry everything in one trip now. Could barely even fit it all in my car before, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't think an inch or two is that big of a deal.