Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4cable with hx stomp+hx effects

octave06

6 hours ago, octave06 said:

Has anoybody tried/have been doing thsi? Thoughts?

I tried it with the HX Stomp. The HEX Effects wouldn't change things all that much. To me the best and easiest way would be to just throw the HX Effects at the end of the signal chain (so the send stereo of the HX Stomp would be going into the Input left/right of the HX Effects, and then the HX effects left/right output would feed back into your amp).

My personal feel on how it was depends on what you're trying to do.  If you're hooking up into a traditional amp then it is pretty cool and I get why people like it.  It's a lot of cords . . . but there are some strengths to it.

If you're hooking it up into a flat response amp then in my opinion it's just a waste of time. Instead hook both the HX Stomp and the HX Effects into the Effects loop (or attach your guitar in to the HX Stomp which outputs into the flat response amp guitar in, and throw your HX Effects in the effects loop of the amp - turn off all amp/effects modeling if your flat response amp has any).

Sounds great, less fuss and muss.

If heading into an FRFR setup.... I'd run HX Effects > HX Stomp > FRFR.

No need to use any blocks for sends/returns/loops. 

I'd setup the HX Effects like a pedal board... and put all the effects I would normally run on a board there. 

The Stomp would start with the AMP modeler, followed by any post effects ... 

To make it much more interesting... I'd midi the two together using the HX effects as the master since it has more footswitches to work with. 

To be fair, there is no right or wrong answer here... you can reverse the order I describe, or use loops back and forth. Do whatever you need to get the results you need. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, codamedia said:

If heading into an FRFR setup.... I'd run HX Effects > HX Stomp > FRFR.

No need to use any blocks for sends/returns/loops. 

I'd setup the HX Effects like a pedal board... and put all the effects I would normally run on a board there. 

The Stomp would start with the AMP modeler, followed by any post effects ... 

To make it much more interesting... I'd midi the two together using the HX effects as the master since it has more footswitches to work with. 

To be fair, there is no right or wrong answer here... you can reverse the order I describe, or use loops back and forth. Do whatever you need to get the results you need. 

I'm curious cause I still have a lot to learn, but my general thinking in having the HX Effects after the Stomp would be because the Stomp does the amp modeling, but more effects are usually needed after an amp than before it, and the Effects can do more effects. Especially if you want a dual amp setup on the Stomp.

I noticed you suggested the opposite though. Do you usually use more effects before the amp than after, or is there some other advantage I'm missing here with having the Effects before the Stomp?

I get that ultimately it comes down to what you want it to sound like, but I still have a lot of tips and tricks to learn. My setups tend to be pretty damn simple. I'm lucky if I breach the Stomp's seven block limit. I wouldn't have a clue what to do with 16 blocks, let alone 32.

5 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

I get that ultimately it comes down to what you want it to sound like,

That is truly what it comes down to... do what works best for you.

IME: For the most part, players are accustomed to having more effects before an amp. Just look at the size of some of the pedal boards some people have... and to be honest, I don't know very many people with a traditional pedal board that use the effects loop in their amp to setup a 4 cable method with their board. For the most part, everything just goes straight into the front of the amp. 

That changes with modeling, as it is very convenient to place things before or after. But the general concept still applies...

• In front of my amp I will always run wah, octave/whammy, 2 - 3 overdrives, stomp compression, slap back delay, phase, drive boost. 
  • After my amp is where I would run reverb, longer delay, studio style compression
  • There are some effects I prefer after the amp, but have no problem putting them in front of the amp if the setup dictates I have to.... these include modulation (tremolo, chorus,flange, etc...) a volume pedal block and a clean boost

With the HX Effects and the Stomp (very powerful combo IMO) the HX Effects has more footswitches.... therefore I would load those up like a pedal board so I could stomp on it all night without effecting the amp modeling. Through MIDI I would have the stomp follow any preset/snapshot changes, sync the tap delay and even assign a switch or two if required. 

Please keep in mind... I don't run stereo in a live rig - and in a studio I would apply stereo effects in a mix, not track them. In other words, I simply don't do stereo :)  Users that like to use a stereo setup would likely prefer more "after amp" effects. 

• Thanks 1