Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

BeatBuddy with Helix looper using MIDI

sriramiyer

Hello all, I recently got myself a Helix LT. Just getting to know it. Prior to Helix, I used a Infinity looper with Beatbuddy - MIDI sync'd which worked great for me but now that Helix has its own looper function, how do I use it with Beatbuddy. Having BB connected to AUX is one way but that just loops the beats. I need to be able to control the BB (rolls, variations etc) from Helix. I'd really appreciate if someone could clue me in. Thanks in advance. 

Not sure that the Helix's looper can send out midi messages but I could be wrong.  As far as I can tell, the Helix's looper is merely a convenience feature and is very very basic.

I continue to use my Boss RC-10XL because of that. Well, that and the fact that I'm very used to the RC and don't need to form new habits for a different looper.  If the Helix's looper had more capacity I might have a different opinion.

You are out of luck until theHelix  looper syncs with midi clock.  If you have an IPAD in your chain, give quantiloop (QL)  a try as your looper.   I have Helix set to "midi through" from Beatbuddy to Quantiloop and I set up the buttons on my helix to send midi commands to record etc... on QL.  Works perfectly.

I will try to post a picture soon.  But I just go Midi out of the Beat Buddy to Midi in on my Helix (traditional Midi cable) .  Then I make sure "midi through" is on in the Helix prefs. You have to connect the Helix via USB via the apple camera connection kit to the IPAD. Then I open Quantiloop on my IPAD.  I make sure to assign QL the Helix USB 1 & 2 for the inputs and outputs.  I make sure the tempo setting in QL is set to BeatBuddy.  This insures the tempos of the BB and QL are synced. Also in Helix I set global tempo to external so all my delays are in sync with BB and Ql too.  I set up 3  stomps in the command center on my helix to send midi commands to QL.  I do a loop 1 stomp button,  and a loop 2 stomp button and a stop/clear all stomp.   Away I go for looping fun that is unlimited in length and it runs in sync the entire time.  BTW- I haver those 3 stomps in almost all of my STOMP modes in all my presets so I can loop in any preset on the helix.  Super easy to copy and paste the QL looper stomps in the command center.  

• Upvote 1