Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Issue with hd500x midi controller

kisshell9

So i am trying to control helix native by my pod hd footswitches. I have looked into tons of videos but can seem to make it work. I am using a very cheap chinese midi interface bought for $7. 

So i take a empty patch and then in settings change from abcd to 1234 to use all the footswitches. I set different cc values for all the fs but cant seem to make it work. I did try a midi monitoring software and when i click a footswitch it doesnt show anything. I just says 90 00 00. 

Is there any step i have missed to make ito work?

Where to start :)

1. Did your "cheap Chinese midi interface" come with drivers? If not, why? If they did, did you install them? 
  2. Before diving into CC controls... have you tried the basic (and often automatic) program changes to see if they work?
  3. Helix Native requires a DAW.... is that set up appropriately to re-direct the midi messages? IE: Did you setup the HD as a controller in the DAW, and did you redirect that to communicate with Native?

On 12/11/2018 at 9:13 AM, codamedia said:

Where to start :)

1. Did your "cheap Chinese midi interface" come with drivers? If not, why? If they did, did you install them? 
  2. Before diving into CC controls... have you tried the basic (and often automatic) program changes to see if they work?
  3. Helix Native requires a DAW.... is that set up appropriately to re-direct the midi messages? IE: Did you setup the HD as a controller in the DAW, and did you redirect that to communicate with Native?

So the cheap chinese midi interface is midi compliant and the driver are installed automatically. So i was thinking may be there is something wrong with my hd500 midi ouput . I use the pod as my audio interface. When i plugged out my hd500 usb, it seems the i can use the pod to play notes form A5 to C8 or something. But if i plug the hd500x usb then the midi input doesnt work at all. So atleast i know that pods midi is working.

When i dont connect the pod usb, i can play notes with this midi interface but still cant use the cc# or any other midi message except the notes. So i am sure this is all caused by the cheap midi interface. If i set the fs switch to play c4 it doesnt work at all. So these cheap midi can only play certain range of notes. I used midi monitor to check all these things. The output from the midi interface work alright as i can change patches from the daw. The problem is with the input.

I guess i will have to invest in a good but cheap midi interface. I just have doubt if i can use the pod hd as an audio interface simultaneously  with a good midi interface. I hope it works.

If anyone can suggest me a cheap midi interface which actually works, please let me know.

Thanks.

15 hours ago, kisshell9 said:

When i plugged out my hd500 usb, it seems the i can use the pod to play notes form A5 to C8 or something. But if i plug the hd500x usb then the midi input doesnt work at all. So atleast i know that pods midi is working.

I am having a hard time following this.... can you explain it a little clearer for me. 

What did you buy for a midi controller? What is the make/model?

Are you connecting to that via MIDI OUT (DIN) from the HD500, or the USB out? I am pretty certain the HD500 cannot send MIDI via USB... that's reserved for audio and proprietary communications with HD EDIT. 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

I am having a hard time following this.... can you explain it a little clearer for me. 

What did you buy for a midi controller? What is the make/model?

Are you connecting to that via MIDI OUT (DIN) from the HD500, or the USB out? I am pretty certain the HD500 cannot send MIDI via USB... that's reserved for audio and proprietary communications with HD EDIT. 

Ok so i am using hd500x as the audio interface and use a cheap midi interface for midi in out. I have this one.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-Interface-to-MIDI-Converter-Adapter-Cable-Keyboard-Vista-MAC-Windows-7-8-10/320861225518?epid=548033619&hash=item4ab4d1c22e:g:AJMAAOSw6VRbKx9N:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!4151!AU!-1

At the same time i am also using pod as the midi controller. Pod can send midi messages and notes which can be toggled pressing the "VIEW" buttom.

So with hd500x as an audio interface, the chinese midi interface dont work at all. I am using a win 10 laptop. But when i dont use hd500x as an audio interface( plug out pods usb from laptop), then the chinese midi interface starts to work but i can only send "note on" midi message, it will not work when i send any other midi message like "cc,cc toggle, program change ".  Even then i can only send few range of notes which ranges from note A5 and above. For example : fs1=A5, fs2 = B5 , fs3= C5 ..... fs8= A6... if i set any of the footswitches to say note on value of C4 it will not work.

I am hoping if i buy a better midi interface then i can simultaneously use the pod as an audio interface and midi controller in the same laptop. If some one has used it liked this than i would go forward and buy an expensive midi interface.

13 hours ago, kisshell9 said:

I am hoping if i buy a better midi interface then i can simultaneously use the pod as an audio interface and midi controller in the same laptop. If some one has used it liked this than i would go forward and buy an expensive midi interface.

I have the older HD500... and although I don't use it to control anything within the computer, I have used the MIDI outs to control other devices... in particular an HX Effects. It worked great... everything I told it to do (PC & CC) was passed on to the other device as expected...

The HD500 is a wonderful midi controller with a lot of features... there is no reason it won't do what you want it to. I suspect you may be right about that midi interface... you do get what you pay for.