Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

1950-1960 tremolo

Hankon6

I have tried to simulate the old tremolo sound of the 50's and 60"s  on my Variax standard...I have a Spider V 240 and my search and experimentation have eluded me in getting to THAT sound.  What are the tone mixes to achieve this?  Thanks 

There's a few different types of tremolos that showed up in the amps of the 50s and 60s. Vox amps, some early Fenders, and Gibson amps typically used bias tremolo. Later 60s Fender amps usually had opto tremolo. And some early 60s brown face Fender amps use Harmonic tremolo. You might also want to experiment with putting the tremolo before and after the amp! Is there a specific artist or song tone you are trying to achieve? A good place to start might be a clean Fender style amp (Blackface Lux or Double Verb) some opto trem and some spring reverb. 

Ohhh Mannn!  Forgive my Brain Vape!!!  Forget my response above. There is , of course, a way to trem before and after the amp...it works ok but looking for more of a quicker sign wave.  Still trying to get into the intricacies  of  my fairly new  V 240 combo.   So much to learn in so little time!!!!!!  (old man) ....  But, having a BALL!!    I am learning the guitar after years on the bluegrass banjo.........Thanks

Well darylb ...metal picks,wider neck, 6 strings  vs 5 and finger picking vs A pick.  Very different .  But, music theory the same,  Hammer ons and pull offs and slides ..Easy and the same.  Using left hand to fret was just an excersize  preparing me for the guitar.  Other then that......they are the same!  Oh yes......timing in playing is much different.  2 beats per measure vs 4.   But LOL aside,  Yes I believe I do have an advantage over the pure novice.  BUT, I still consider myself a novice forever...Always learning and always seeking the next level of playing.

BTW dayrlb....Did you get the Spider v 240 combo or the 240 head?  I really like mine!  I have had it since April...and still have not have it all down pat.. SOOOOOOO many ways in which TONE can be created.  Plenty of power ...enough to get you to hearing aids very quickly.  I Usually have the amp at 3/4 and use the volume control on the Variax.  Get that amp out of that box and become tone chemist by mixing and experimenting.  It is a real blast...no pun intended. Good luck and ENJOY a great product by Line 6.

I got the combo.  Had a tube amp that sounded great but was tired of repairing it.  Started with Line 6 stuff years ago and came back to it because I was looking for something fun.  I needed some new inspiration to want to play more and the new Spiders seem to fit.  I only play at home so I just like the idea that one day I can come home and feel like playing through an old tweed amp and another day I might want to play a full stack.  

Should be able to get to it Friday.  Not much time between now and then though.  

When I got my Spider V120 the first effect that I tried was vintage tremolo. I was very disappointed and figured that it was going right back to Guitar Center. Luckily, I installed the Spider V app on my iPad and and found that when adjusting the tremolo settings with it (rather than the amp itself) I could get exactly what I was looking for. Now, I use the app anytime I am creating a new tone or fine tuning an old one. It is so easy to switch the order of effects and also make minute adjustments.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 4:40 PM, Hankon6 said:

Sounds like you got a plan!! God bless and see ya around!

Finally got a chance to get it set up and play some. Even got to open it up a little bit.  Very happy with what I've heard so far and I haven't even taken time to do any tweaking.  Mostly sampled some presets and then played to the metronome for a while.  I love that I can just start the metronome and work on scales or a song or lick I'm learning.  Great stuff.

And the sound is huge.  Simple deluxe preset turned up loud fills the room and has plenty of bass response.  Exactly what I was looking for.  

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, Jasonbeckercall said:

Has anyone ever recreated or modelled the iconic Fender Rhodes ( Peterson Elliptical Cats Eye Stereo Tremolo effect ) Stereo Panning effect ?, it is very unique and sounds like nothing thats available.

If you have a Spider 240 amp (which has stereo capabilities), or a smaller combo running out via XLR or USB to a stereo setup you could probably get close to this effect using the Auto Pan effect in the modulations category. 

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

I have a Spider V Mk II which bias tremolo sounds crappy: it does not provide the similar smooth tone as the opto tremolo setup. There is a kind of echo-bubbling sound when tremolo Mix between 40-60%, then above 60% it starts to disappear but it just sounds weird still. As if an echo would be switched on which duplicates the guitar tone. The wave is about 50%, I guess this is the sine waveform between triangle and square. I tried to adjust the knobs (also via app) but I just cannot get a nice trem sound out of the Bias Tremolo module…

Anyone had similar issues, what can be done to fix? Thanks in advance!  Cheers