Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Are tones modeled from the scratch?

jikou

I had an argue with my friend regarding tone routing in modeling combos, like SPider V.

He is of opinion that tone of strumming string is converted by A/D to digital form, where serves as synchronizing data for completely newly generated ton - similarly to Variax instruments where string rules sound generators.

So original guitar tone does not come through modeling combo in its digital form, but is discarded and no longer used after it served as a pattern for its digital newly created copy. Then the copy goes through chain of sound processing emulating distortion. delay, reverb etc. until is converted back to analogue.  So original tone is discontinued  

My opinion is that original tone is converted to its digital image and then goes through sound processing emulating distortion. delay, reverb etc. until is converted back to analogue. So original tone continues.

The question is which concept matches reality.

Your guitar signal is sent through the amp model and effects, meaning your guitar will influence and shape your tone. Single coils and humbuckers will both sound different going into the same amp model, as will pickups with different outputs. Higher output pickups will cause an amp model to breakup sooner. 

TLDR; You are right, your friend is wrong. ;)