Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX stomp won't boot after failed update

vinnyt

I tried to update to 2.71 and the update failed.  Unless I misread the instructions he page telling me it failed said to power down the unit, restart it and connect it back to the updater.  However, after doing so the unit is stuck on launch screen, doesn't show up in updater etc.

Any advice on how to unbrick the unit would be super appreciated.

Thank you,.

IMG_2539.png

• Like 1

Had this happen to me as well and got it to work by doing the following below.

Download the Hellix 2.71 firmware Flash Memory directly from line6.com 

https://line6.com/software/index.html

And from searching thru the Line 6 Device Factory Procedures I came across this for the HX Effects which worked for the Stomp.

If you run into any trouble with a failed update or your unit will not boot up, try powering on while holding the right arrow ">" This will put the unit into update mode and you can re-install the latest firmware from there. 

After powering on the unit while holding PAGE> button I opened up the Line 6 Updater and choose Offline Mode at the bottom, selected the HX Stomp, and then updated via the firmware .hxf file I downloaded directly form Line 6. Did the reboot again and got it back working.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm afraid this isn't working for me. Update using Line 6 Updater failed. Screen opens as photo in vinnyt's post but with addition of "Firmware 2.71.0"

I tried powering up while holding PAGE> button but it won't power up. Several attempts made. Tried factory reset by holding buttons 2 + 3 but now screen opens as before with addition of "Rebuilding Presets ..." and nothing happens.

One piece it too me multiple tries and multiple cables and ports on my computer which was a bit odd I have to admit. 

When you boot with page right pressed If I remember the screen is blank when you launch not the boot up screen if memory serves. 

Good luck and try a few times. I also submitted a help ticket and they were really quick to respond if you get to the end of your rope. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, HERCULEES1 said:

same issue here brand new product , will be returning to store . Why make it so difficult lime 6?

Well, I can assure you that Line 6 isn't trying to make anything difficult... It's just that with anything involving different computers, different operating systems, etc., there are bound to be issues now and then. Have you gone through the standard troubleshooting steps? Have you tried doing a reset on the unit by holding footswitches 2 and 3 while powering up?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I seem to have bricked my HX-FX while updating it to 2.71. The update failed and the device fails to boot up all the way -- it just gives the screen that says it has firmware 2.71 and then stays there.

The device is not recognised by 2 Windows (win7 and 8.1) I have connected it to - no response to USB connection by the OS. I gather there is a boot method for machines in this state (holding down the Page > button) on the HX-Stomp - is there a similar boot method for the HX -FX that will allow me to get the update reinstalled?

1 hour ago, Phil_Fee said:

Hi,

I seem to have bricked my HX-FX while updating it to 2.71. The update failed and the device fails to boot up all the way -- it just gives the screen that says it has firmware 2.71 and then stays there.

The device is not recognised by 2 Windows (win7 and 8.1) I have connected it to - no response to USB connection by the OS. I gather there is a boot method for machines in this state (holding down the Page > button) on the HX-Stomp - is there a similar boot method for the HX -FX that will allow me to get the update reinstalled?

If you look further up this thread there is a general link to all of Line 6's devices to put them in update mode. Here are the instructions for the HX Effects:

HX Effects: Turn unit off and then turn back on. Hold Footswitch 6 and Tap throughout the boot process, until you see that your factory presets are loading. If you run into any trouble with a failed update or your unit will not boot up, try powering on while holding the right arrow ">" This will put the unit into update mode and you can re-install the latest firmware from there.

Thanks so much to Kilrahi and the others above for the pointers. Like the others above - multiple attempts and two different cables and two different ports - finally it updated all the way. I am good to go with 2.71 on HX FX.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • HX Stomp Freeze Problem Resolved for Me By Doing the Steps Stated Above  THANK YOU!!
    • Used Different USB cable (Not the one that came with HX Stomp)
    • Turned ON HX Stomp while holding Page Right Arrow Down
    • Line 6 Updater 1.18 then found and installed 2.81 firmware
    • Note: I ended up using the same USB cable as to my Helix.  This is not a Line 6  USB Cable.  I am using Windows 10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey Everyone! I am having the same problem with my HX Stomp being stuck on the boot screen which shows the Firmware 2.82

I have tried the Reset Procedures and I have held the >right button while booting and re-installed the firmware.  The firmware says everything is fine and when it restarts it won't boot or pass processed audio. 

Any ideas? I have a gig I'm flying to tomorrow and this was my plan :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/27/2020 at 12:57 PM, RolxD said:

and how do you do this?

I don't know what to download from their stupid page. I donwloaded HX Edit but i can't select it on offline mode

Official Line 6 update procedure is described here.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• 1 month later...

I too am stuck at the same point with the HX Stomp firmware upgrade.  Received the unit with 2.65 and tried to update to 3.01 with the latest HX Edit (per instructions on the site).  The firmware update was successful but the Stomp never started the rebuild preset step.  It is stuck at the intro screen showing the current firmware release and is not recognized over USB (HX Edit shows no device connected).

I have tried all of the advice listed in this thread with no success.  I've tried with multiple cables, multiple USB ports, on Windows, on Mac, even different versions of firmware and they all end up at the same place.

Any other ideas or am I headed toward a support ticket?

Thanks.

22 hours ago, mnimon said:

Any other ideas or am I headed toward a support ticket?

You say that you have read through and tried all the suggestions posted here, but let’s just give this one more go around.

You don’t mention what your computer and OS are, but I will guess Windows, plus the routine should be the same for a Mac.

Firstly go to the "DOWNLOADS" menu at the top of this page and from  "-ALL HARDWARE-" select HX Stomp then go to  the "-ALL SOFTWARE-" menu item and select HX EDIT, now select your Windows system or Mac OSX from under the "-ALL OS-" tab, then click “GO”. From the next page you can select HX Edit 3.0 for your HX Stomp. then below that you will also need the Firmware 3.01 Flash Memory. Now scroll right the way down the page where you will find Line 6 Updater version 1.9. 

Download all these items to your computer and note where they are. 

Then:

1. Remove all the previously installed Line 6 software from your computer especially the Windows drivers and then restart your computer.
  2. Make sure to turn off the power to your HX Stomp.
  3. Unplug the USB cable from the computer and HX Stomp.

Ensure that HX Edit is definitely closed and that you have your HX Stomp reconnected to your PC by USB cable (do not use a hub, some front USB ports on PCs act like a hub) and hold down “Page >” while turning the power on. (You may see a blank screen, but keep going).

Now, launch the Line 6 Updater Utility and select "Offline Mode". Your HX Stomp and current firmware version should now show up in the window, click on the dark green coloured band and you should now have the option to select a  local file - point it at, and select the Flash Memory file you downloaded and let it get on with the update.

When it completes you can install the new HX Edit v.3.0 software and you should be good to go.

No guarantees are given or implied, you do this at your own risk. If it doesn’t work, raise a ticket with Customer Support.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Upvote 1

OK.  I have tried this on multiple computers now.  A MacBook Pro, an HP laptop (Windows 10), and a Dell Inspiron PC (Windows 10).  The results below were on the Dell PC with the USB cable plugged into a port on the back of the PC (direct motherboard connection hopefully).

I followed your directions for uninstalling all Line6 SW and drivers then downloaded the latest HX Edit, Firmware 3.01, and the Line6 Updater 1.19.

When I power on with "Page >" held down, the Line 6 Updater screen looks like this...

image.png.2b42106ec64a0f96fc6f3e5a8224c996.png

I selected HX Stomp Unkown version then selected the version 3.01 Firmware previously downloaded (offline mode).  The update progresses ...

image.png.de78a828ccd85d4efb34fbffdf220007.png

And completes with the process with the following screen...

image.png.ca1a181f31a1b81665dd97571e766d5b.png

The Stomp now looks like this and I am stuck.  The Stomp never resets and is not recognized via USB unless I  reboot with "Page >" again (which takes me back to the top).

IMG_4377.thumb.jpg.162d3afc90feaa08dd9752599e6fdbb1.jpg

35 minutes ago, mnimon said:

The Stomp now looks like this and I am stuck.  The Stomp never resets and is not recognized via USB unless I  reboot with "Page >" again (which takes me back to the top).

Uhmm! This one is exceptionally weird.

Judging by the final image it obviously got to the point of registering as v.3.01 firmware.

One final thing before you contact Customer Support. Try a factory reset while the USB cable is not connected. Hold down Foot Switches 2&3 while turning on the power to the Stomp. If the hardware gets past the start up screen to a preset page, then reconnect the USB and launch HX Edit. If it fails then it may be a hardware issue that requires a technician.

HX Stomp

Button Combination

Description

All 3 Footswitches

Clears all presets/IRs

FS1+2

Resets presets and IRs

FS 2+3

Factory restore (globals, presets, IRs

Hope this helps/makes sense. I’m all out of ideas now.

Thanks for the input on this datacommando.  I tried the power on, no USB connection, with switch 2 + 3 held down.  The Stomp comes up just as it did before with the additional message "Will reset Globals, Presets, IRs..." but does nothing after that.

I also noticed that after the FW is updated, the Updater screen still says firmware version not available.  Wonder if there is some final check or handshake that is missing.  I've opened a support ticket.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just wanted to say that this thread has saved my Stomp.  I tried to do an update using a regular USB (don't remember if I tried 2.0 or 3.0 first) port on the front of my PC case, which is is a regular, usable, standard port.  It is one (if you're familiar with building PCs) that is connected to the motherboard via the regular 9 pin connector.  The update failed, and bricked my stomp completely.  It would boot up and just say the firmware version.  I tried a dozen different things, but the computer wouldn't even recognize my Stomp anymore.  It was just like this thread is talking about.  

So I tried the "Power on + Page ->", like this thread says.  Still nothing.  But...I was using the various USB ports on my PC case and not the ones on the back of my PC.  I didn't want to use those, because it's a pain to get to the back of my PC and I thought "surely, there's no way that could possibly make a difference".  So I booted the Stomp into Update Mode ten different times and tried all my updates on all my USB ports on my case multiple times...and nothing.  

SO, I said "fine, I'll try the stupid motherboard USB ports, though there's no reason they should perform any differently".  Well, I booted the Stomp into Update Mode, plugged it into a motherboard USB port, chose a firmware version from the list and it just installed fine.  My Stomp is working once again.  I honestly can't believe my eyes right now.  

THANK YOU to all those who have replied in this thread.  I felt like I should do the same.  

• Upvote 2