Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 700 Vs 600

I recently acquired a used 700 on eBay for an amazing deal.  1st impressions... it plays and feels better.  The controls feel much tighter and better.  I was able to load a recent bundle backup from my 600 to the 700 so I'd be familiar with what was on board.  Used it at a few rehearsals with the battery pack, and the power supply at different times; solid as a rock...  no issues.   On 11/2, its first gig was at a private party.  I ran it via the VDI cable, as I had earlier while loading the new bundle and playing with it at home.   Half way through the night, it just quit.  I'm not positive if I had not programmed the X3 Live to allow the Variax as input, or what, but I had to switch to my standby guitar.  I have not had the chance to plug everything up and see if it still fails.   I notice that I had trouble getting Workbench to discover the Variax via the VDI/X3L, but figured it was the computer I was using.   The VDI is brand new and has only been used since I bought this 700 a few weeks ago.  Could I have a bad cable?  I was beginning to think the 700 was going to be an error free experience... obviously I was wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

Well... it works fine with the 1/4"... power supply, or batteries.    The VDI finally worked and it was nice to be able to use it with the X3 Live.  However, half way through the night it died.   Haven't had time to check anything else.   The 700 is definitely the better guitar, but not glitch free.  Have brand new cables been known to fail immediately?   I noticed where the shrink wrap stops, it looks a little bent... kinda like the cable had been bent at a 90 degree angle.   More as I know it.

I think the 600 and 700 are the highest end guitars of the old Variax line. 700 might be a bit better than the 600.

The 600 is more of a Fender Strat while the 700 is more of a Super Strat, with a bit of a Les Paul design influence.

bad VDI cable can be true, though. Mine likes to disconnect from workbench if I pull it out a bit even if it's still latched in.

AS mentioned, sounds like the VDI jack on the guitar has a bent pin (pretty common occurance). Use a flashlight to lok into the jack to see if you notice any pins that have become bent, or have corrosion on them. Sometimes a quick shot of electronic cleaner does the trick, If a pin is bent, it is possible to CAREFULLY ,using an appropriate small tool) to get behing the bent pin and "push" is forward again (better than purchasing a new jackplate!). By the way-how did you manage to transfer models from the the 600 to the 700, as they have different boards? the 600 and 300 electronics are the same  as well as  the 500 and 700 (electrics). Didn't think you could mix them.

. By the way-how did you manage to transfer models from the the 600 to the 700, as they have different boards? the 600 and 300 electronics are the same  as well as  the 500 and 700 (electrics). Didn't think you could mix them.

i think thats correct from a firmware perspective... but the workbench patches are universal.