Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rig Questions

Wondo

Hello. I have not been on this forum for many years. I used to own a POD, then the XT Live, then a Vetta. Then, I got tired of the modeling thing and went with back to tube amps. I ended up with a Hughes & Kettner Triamp and then added a Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister 36. I use a TC Electronics G-Major as my effects processor on the Triamp and the onboard effects on the Grandmeister. 

I just received a Helix yesterday and spent some time with it. I got it because I would like to get rid of my large Triamp Rig as I am not playing out that much any more and when I do, I use the little Grandmeister. I was looking to use the Helix for in home rehearsing and recording but would also like to use it playing out when the occassion presents itself. I really miss running stereo effects through two cabinets and so I am looking at my best options.

I thought that I would either get the Line 6 Powercabs or maybe the L2M or maybe some Alto TS312's. Or maybe just some simple studio monitors. The problem with studio monitors is that they sound good for recording and mixing, but I find that I am not getting the same kind of interaction that I would with some FRFR monitors with more power. 

I know there have been some threads on this, but they were inconclusive for me. I hesitated going down the rabbit hole of programming and editing patches like I did with the earlier LIne 6 stuff, but find the Helix to be very promising. 

Any ideas of the kind of rig I could put together with this? I would still like to bring the Grandmiester in to the mix with the Helix controlling patch changes, etc. but would like the Helix to be the main part of the rig. 

Thanks

Well you seem to know what your options are already... the only real question is whether or not you'd miss the whole "amp in the room" thing, which might make the Powercab a consideration, as that is what it's designed to bring back to the equation. Personally, I don't miss it...I do a lot of recording, and was quite accustomed to listening in the next room through studio monitors, long before I ditched my amps... it's been years now, and I wouldn't go back if you paid me. 

Well, maybe if you paid me, lol...but it would have to be a large check, and somebody else would have to carry all that $hit...my back hurts on a good day. ;)

Well...this is a real can of worms because it really boils down to what you want to get out of the Helix.

The full range of Helix capabilities is best mined with an output device that provides the least coloration as possible.  That allows the cabinets/IRs and their mic combinations and placement to be fully realized without any limitations placed on them.  But as Cruisinon points out, that's not necessarily what everyone wants as that also introduces a whole new world of sound and signal chain possibilities adding to the complexity of the design of a patch.  So it really does come down to what are the key things you want to get out of it and how you envision using it.

I'm very definitely in the same camp as Cruisinon in that what I want is a polished studio quality output, which is very different from the "amp in the room" sound.  My interest in the Helix was driven to accomplish a studio quality sound output in a live environment, so for me I'm firmly committed to using high quality powered speakers such as Yamaha DXR12's for larger applications or QSC CP8's for smaller applications and Yamaha HS7's for studio work.  I don't even own a cabinet at this point.  But the more you know about what you want to accomplish the more likely you'll be to able to make the right kind of choice.

Thank you for the replies so far. I know the decision is difficult. I am still torn if I would want to return the Helix and get an HX Effects and then get another Grandmeister with a 2x12 cabinet so that I can run stereo. However, I know if I play live, that stereo will not matter since it will not be like this with FOH. So, I guess what I am looking for is a good studio/practice arrangement where I can run stereo. I have a very flat response amp for my computer audio. It is an old NAD and I run Berhinger Truth passive speakers with it. I was thinking maybe just get some powered studio monitors or maybe get some Alto 12 inch. But, the power cabs look really cool too. 

Just not sure what will do it. The Line 6 monitors are expensive, but so are the cabs. 

43 minutes ago, Wondo said:

I was thinking maybe just get some powered studio monitors....

I like running stereo FX too... at least for playing/recording at home. So for me it's either studio monitors or headphones, depending on the hour. I also have an L2T that I use as a monitor live, but it's serious overkill for my small "studio" space at home, and two would be ridiculous, lol. 

In the end, needs, available space, and budget will make the decision for you. There's nothing wrong with a good pair of near-field monitors. But hey, if you have a huge room and the nearest neighbor is a mile down the road... then by all means, go big and go loud! ;) Patches will have to be tweaked accordingly either way....

Well, this might be an easy decision. Helix arrived yesterday. Today spending some time with it and it keeps shutting down on me when I am in editing. Simple hook up too. Just guitar in and two line outs going in to my stereo amp into studio passive monitors. It has shut down on me probably like 8-9 times already. Happens when I am using the joystick. But, now is happening randomly while in the middle of playing. I hooked up to my computer via usb to try the editor and as soon as I clicked on the amp setting, it shut down on me again. Not off to a good start and not easy to gain faith in something that so far is rather a P.O.S. 

I don't know who you purchased it from but most will take it right back and give you another unit.  Every manufacturer has an intermittent problem with some units and I tend to think it's rather rare with the Helix units.  I've purchased two myself and never had any problems.  Worst case, if it's under warranty you simply open a ticket and Line 6 will have you send it overnight and typically get you a fixed or replacement unit within five days and cover all overnight shipping charges.  They're absolutely the best customer service company I've ever dealt with.

Piggy backing on this thread as well. Let me know if this isn't allowed. I'm also torn. I've looked through literally every thread on this forum and others regarding in the direction I want to do when it comes to speakers. FRFR vs a Cab. Now that the Powercab is out I'm even more torn. 

I play in a band with just me on guitar and a keyboard player. It seems that him and I are fighting for frequencies in the PA speakers at times. Obviously this is an EQ thing we have to figure out. That being said, it's still hard to hear myself and we're not at a point of using IEMs yet. I've narrowed it down to either 2 1x12s (I already have one) and a poweramp (I've seen Rockton and ART mentioned most), or either a L2m, DRX10, Alto TX212. I do like the idea of stereo(2 1x12s) since that's how I go straight to FoH as it is. I'm leaning on the L2M the most with the wheel carry bag. I need it to be portable and light weight as I've been lugging around heavy gear for about 10 years now. The Helix into FoH is best but I think the band wants to hear me from a separate source as well. Any one in a similar situation?