Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

A love letter to the Helix!

GuitarjonSDS

Hey guys,

Helix is straight up lovely and you know it!

I felt like making a video that would sum up everything that's great about this platform:

I'd love to know how you build your presets too.

I know guys who need at least 12 blocks to get a good tone and others 2, it's interesting to me that approaches can vary so much.

Do you prefer the simple approach like me, or do you like to add a bunch of blocks to finetune your sound?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GuitarjonSDS said:

I know guys who need at least 12 blocks to get a good tone and others 2, it's interesting to me that approaches can vary so much.

Yup...it's the result of countless variables. Other hardware, the chosen monitoring method, what you play, how you play it...all sorts of other intangibles that make each of us sound like the players we are. It's why Customtone is useless 99.97% of the time...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Yup...it's the result of countless variables. Other hardware, the chosen monitoring method, what you play, how you play it...all sorts of other intangibles that make each of us sound like the players we are. It's why Customtone is useless 99.97% of the time...

For sure!

What kind of approach do you prefer in general?

17 hours ago, GuitarjonSDS said:

Do you prefer the simple approach like me, or do you like to add a bunch of blocks to finetune your sound?

Great video... my studio approach is similar to yours... but my live approach is very different. 

Live I setup my Helix as a Mega Chain.... 32 blocks in a serial path. That doesn't mean I use all the blocks, and it most certainly doesn't mean I use them all at once. My tones are natural... but I like to have everything I need available to me within a preset when playing live. The HELIX is the first multi fx with enough horse power to allow me to do this. 

My "Live" presets are all the same, just adjusted to optimize each guitar. EG: When I pick up my tele I open my Telecaster preset. When I grab my Strat I open my Stratocaster preset, etc... etc... .

• I open the appropriate preset for the guitar I have grabbed... I don't change presets again unless I change the guitar.
  • My snapshots lead me to my fundamental tones... eg: clean slap, ambient tap, overdrive slap, more drive tap, big lead, dotted 8th,  etc... etc...  
  • My stomps are setup to give me access to all my modulations (tremolo, chorus, phase) as well as a touch wah, octave effect, boost, and the option to toggle between slapback and tap delay regardless of my snapshot choice. 
  • I have an external exp pedal connected to a volume block... and my internal exp is actually set to control delay levels - it is setup as such for all my delays.
  • My TOE switch is actually setup for the reverb on/off. Some rooms I play don't need it so rather than dive into menus I just have to turn it off with the toe switch and save the patch and it's gone for the night. 

So in short... it's a complicated patch but only for versatility. 

• Like 1

Excellent video, thanks for making it. If I didn't already use Helix Native for studio tracks, I'd be ordering it! Like you, I prefer simple block chains, tweaked slightly to match the song. Its wonderful to be able to dial in any sort of tone needed: clean, crunch, lead, etc. I usually focus on recording a good mono amp sound, and later add any stereo stuff like reverb (room, plate, or chamber) or delay using other plug-ins, to fit the mix. (Of course if I was playing e-guitar live, I'd use Helix blocks for those.)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, soundog said:

I usually focus on recording a good mono amp sound, and later add any stereo stuff like reverb (room, plate, or chamber) or delay using other plug-ins, to fit the mix.

That is my approach in the studio as well. A simple core tone (in mono) is my main goal. I don't track ambient delays or reverb... although some effects may get tracked if there is a strong commitment to those parts (ie: tremolo guitar, syncopated delays, etc...)

Generally speaking, my studio presets would only be a small handful of blocks... at most. 

On 12/13/2018 at 7:02 PM, codamedia said:

That is my approach in the studio as well. A simple core tone (in mono) is my main goal. I don't track ambient delays or reverb... although some effects may get tracked if there is a strong commitment to those parts (ie: tremolo guitar, syncopated delays, etc...)

Generally speaking, my studio presets would only be a small handful of blocks... at most. 

Yep, that's also how I work often.

That's why Native is also so nice, just the added functionality when you want to change or automate something during the mixing process.