Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Workbench, Jtv, Hd500 Workflow Suggestions

I have had the HD500 for a year or so and have just added the JTV59P to my setup.  I was wondering if anyone can suggest the best workflow for creating models in workbench (or loading patches found on the internet) and storing them in patches on the HD500 for selection from the floor when playing live.

First thing to recognize is that Workbench HD works only with the JTV/Workbench hardware interface device; it does not work with the JTV connected via VDI to your HD500. So I would suggest the following connections:

- JTV -> Workbench h/w interface -> computer running Workbench HD

- JTV 1/4" output -> HD500 Guitar In. Make sure your JTV battery is adequately charged.

- monitors connected to HD500 outputs, with HD500 assigned as computer audio card

Then for workflow.......

- Download workbench patches, or create them, and edit them using Workbench. Monitor the sounds using HD500 presets. Tweak both WB models and HD presets as desired.

- When desired sounds have been achieved (and/or frequently along the way) download the WB patch into the desired model location on your JTV, and save the HD500 preset with the JTV model selected.

That should do it. You're ready to disconnect the computer, and reconnect your JTV to the HD500 using the VDI connection so that the JTV is controlled by your HD500 preset selections.

• Upvote 1

First thing to recognize is that Workbench HD works only with the JTV/Workbench hardware interface device; it does not work with the JTV connected via VDI to your HD500. So I would suggest the following connections:

- JTV -> Workbench h/w interface -> computer running Workbench HD

- JTV 1/4" output -> HD500 Guitar In. Make sure your JTV battery is adequately charged.

- monitors connected to HD500 outputs, with HD500 assigned as computer audio card

Then for workflow.......

- Download workbench patches, or create them, and edit them using Workbench. Monitor the sounds using HD500 presets. Tweak both WB models and HD presets as desired.

- When desired sounds have been achieved (and/or frequently along the way) download the WB patch into the desired model location on your JTV, and save the HD500 preset with the JTV model selected.

That should do it. You're ready to disconnect the computer, and reconnect your JTV to the HD500 using the VDI connection so that the JTV is controlled by your HD500 preset selections.

Thanks for an excellent response.  When I got the guitar on Saturday I found that the Variax would not switch on when connected to the H/W device but when connected to the HD it was fine.  I will try again this weekend. Dumb question alert....How to download them into the HD from the guitar?

...How to download them into the HD from the guitar?

You don't actually download the JTV models into the HD. The models live in the JTV.  You can store the JTV model selection (e.g. SPANK-2) and some parameters (e.g. tone knob position, alternate tuning) in the HD preset. When the HD preset is loaded, it sends commands to the JTV via the VDI connection. The JTV responds by loading the specified model and parameters.