Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

TouchOSC wireless MIDI app

forasong

I saw a post where a guy had programmed the TouchOSC app for wireless bluetooth midi on an ipad communicating with a Yamaha MD BT01 plugged into a stomp. I went down this rabbit hole and I am blown away by how good it works and how pretty simple it was to create my own template and program it. I think it is a great way to control the stomp without bending over to use knobs and  having the tuner and tap tempo control at my fingers frees up the FS3 to control an additional stomp. i have templates for my ipad and for my iphone to choose presets. I also just completed a template to control my helix floor as well. As a general rule, I do a preset per song for whatever show I’m doing plus a couple standard rigs that get me through multiple situations. With the Touch OSC I have them right on the screen in front of me graphically and just push the song name and the preset immediately comes up. I also programmed a horizontal fader where I can just swipe my finger and scroll thru all the presets. It has been bullet proof so far and has become a big answer for using my stomp as a standalone rig for fly dates or for gigs where the floor just doesn’t make sense. YMMV

1246199920_ScreenShot2018-12-13at10_10_09AM.png.c5220967a98212c0d37a5df48733db0e.png1068627370_ScreenShot2018-12-13at9_56_44AM.png.0dfba53e5634e031990420b65ed29bc8.png
  • Like 2

it will def work with a cam kit out of an ipad....i just dig the wireless option. i use a simple app called "midimittr" to check the midi connection between the ipad and my stomp or Helix. not exactly sure what you were referencing when you refer to a DAW since there is no traditional DAW workstation in play, just the touchosc app sending midi via ipad to my units. i will PM you my helix template and it will get you started, just replace the names of my presets with yours and check to see that the program change info is pointing to your preset location. you can see that easily in the preset scroll window on the helix.

Well, we got two expression pedals to change stomp parameters . Since expression pedals are just sending real time midi info, it seems an encoder or fader type set up sending midi could control stomp parameters from TouchOSC. Must give that some thought 

I can see this really only being useful for a stomp that has limited access to view presets and individual stomps.  On the helix floor, the only reason I can see this being useful is being able to trigger the tap/tuner button on the IPAD so that button could be eliminated on the helix and be converted to an additional stomp button.  I guess it could be useful on the Helix when it comes to dialing in preset tones to view presets if you have more than 10.  Sometimes I do forget what presets I have while banking forward since I have many more than 10.  But in live situation I always have my presets in a bank of 10 that I have preordered- so this would only be helpful to me while practicing and dialing in tones.  Is it worth having an IPAD on stage?  I have mine on stage anyhow for lyrics and chord progressions so I am always looking for ways to integrate my IPAD in ways to add value to a song.  I think the biggest thing I have added with my IPAD to certain songs played live is the ability to add midi guitar synth sounds from the IPAD to certain songs to fill some space when needed (no hands needed for this).  But the Helix is a pretty complete unit and I have found I have needed my IPAD far less since purchasing the Helix since it can also produce some synth like sounds.  I am sure there are guys doing far more with the IPAD to help their bands and songs along.  I have heard of bands using the iPads with a. click track to bring in parts of backing tracks or loops.  I am presently researching how to do that.

I agree that this approach really shines for the stomp, which is difficult to access presets directly without midi. I will mainly use my iPhone 8. The TouchOSC looks great on it. Plenty easy to see on the smaller screen than the iPad and disappears on a small mic stand mount much more than an iPad. I will say, that even for the helix floor, I’d rather see my preset list on my iPad or iPhone right in front of me and with on finger tap, directly go to a preset. It’s still much less hassle than hitting bank footswitch to get out of your current preset and then re entering your new patch with another press of a footswitch. And if you have to bank up or down to get to the next rig then it’s not even close in time saved toe tapping. Again YMMV, :)

all Of the preset names have to be typed into labels when you build your template. The app can’t go retrieve  preset names from helix. easy to highlight a label in the software and type a new name as set ups change. Of course you can also have as many templates as you want representing different use scenarios

to recall at will. 

• 1 month later...