Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Really, really muddy sound

macmommasman

Hey Helix users. Anyone else getting crazy, non-articulate muddy sound from their Helix? I have tried every connection method possible, 3 different FRFR speaker setups, and using it with reference headphones (sennheiser HD 800s, as well as 2 other consumer-grade pairs for comparison.) Also have tried 3 different guitars, each with different pickup configurations. Lastly, all firmware is up to date and I have clean-rebooted to original factory settings. Mostly I'm getting mush as if I'm listening with industrial earplugs jammed in my ears, and in some cases, nearly all effect and no actual guitar tone. I have even gone as far as setting the global EQ to almost a full bass cut, AND have tried putting a hardware EQ in the chain. While I know speaker and output connection variables are impossible to troubleshoot, I would think I would get some clear sound from headphones. But no dice. Anyone? Bueller?

Does this apply to all presets or one's you've built?  It's hard to believe given the range of output types you've used that everything would sound muddy unless something is messed up within the preset, or something is messed up in the global settings somewhere.  The first step I'd take would be to make sure all your global settings are on the default settings and make sure your global EQ is turned off.  Then try it with some of the presets that come with the Helix.

It would also be handy to know what specific FRFR speaker setups you've been using.

Seems like you've done all the  reasonable troubleshooting... boomy low end is a common gripe with FRFR setups, but can usually be remedied with appropriate EQ. Perhaps it is a faulty unit? If you're creating your own patches, you could try uploading one or two, and someone can give them a test drive ams see if they have similar results...

Are you plugged into the Guitar In? Have you tried messing with the Input Z parameter to see if that makes any difference? Its default setting is Auto, so in most cases, that means the input impedance is usually 1 MOhm, but there are some instances where it could be lower. But this setting is saved preset to preset, not globally, so it shouldn't be across the board. I don't know... Honestly, I don't recall anyone saying the Helix sounded muddy out of the gate. I've more often heard the opposite complaint - that things sound too bright or harsh. Although, now that I'm thinking about this, I do remember one guy over on TGP who was had a similar complaint about his LT - it was muddy, etc. In his case, it turned out to be a bad guitar cable causing problems.

These issues are with the default, pre-loaded presets and not with anything I've downloaded or installed myself. I have reset the unit to factory defaults (per Line 6 customer service) by initiating a full system reboot (hold down buttons 9&10 while powering up, should anyone else need to do this)

Essentially i have a 15 lb doorstop at the moment

2 minutes ago, macmommasman said:

These issues are with the default, pre-loaded presets and not with anything I've downloaded or installed myself. I have reset the unit to factory defaults (per Line 6 customer service) by initiating a full system reboot (hold down buttons 9&10 while powering up, should anyone else need to do this)

Essentially i have a 15 lb doorstop at the moment

I would open a service ticket at this point... or return it if you're still within that window, and start fresh with a new unit. 

Any way to upload a clip recorded via USB? Honestly it sounds like you got a faulty unit (which happens in large-scale manufacturing occasionally) and if that's the case, L6 will take care of you (given it was purchased new, recently, anyways). But muddy is not the default sound of these units, that's for sure. 

One other troubleshooting thing you might want to try is to go to a blank preset and see what your guitar sounds like. Ideally, put the Helix between your guitar and an amp. Make sure the input pad is off, the 1/4" outs are set to instrument level, turn the master volume knob all the way up, and make sure the Global EQ is bypassed. This will give you unity gain. If the input is doing something weird to your signal because of a hardware issue, you would be able to hear it this way.

• 2 years later...

Muddy usually refers to too much emphasis somewhere 100-450Hz frequency spectrum.

A guitar can produce muddy sounds when it sounds dull. This can have multiple reasons: old strings, closed tone knob, a too distant pickup, very long cable, some kind of electrical defect. Check your dry unprocessed guitar sound and make sure it is balanced.

If that is not the cause of your problem please tell us how you use the Helix / what you're listening through and what your goal of a sound is that you want to achieve.

Ideally you'd also provide a patch that sounds muddy to you and even a recorded clip with a dry guitar and processed sound.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, r00t_acc3ss said:

Hey I know it's late but any update on your muddy tones? I'm facing the same issue with my Helix LT & JEM 555 :( 

Hi,

You have resurrected a thread from 2018, therefore you must feel this is important, but your not exactly helping us.

Have you tried the suggestions posted previously?

You aren’t giving anyone much to go on in your shout for assistance. Simply saying “I'm facing the same issue” is pretty meaningless - “muddy tones” - compared to what. What/how are you listening to your LT? 

As suggested by “Schmalle” in the post above, post an audio example and or preset you find “muddy” with an explanation of your listening environment.

Hope this helps/makes sense.