Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Best OwnHammer IRs

IBbrianB

I tried Ownhammer but prefer Sigma Audio's IR's - mostly the Mesa Oversized Rectifier models.  My personal favorite is the 3A ACE file.  I would recommend the bundle deals for sure.   Not sure if Ownhammer does this, but 3 Sigma Audio will update the IR's and send you a notice to download the new updated files - no additional charges. 

1 hour ago, IBbrianB said:

So I will be getting a Helix soon. What OwnHammer products do I need? I would like to get IRs for the full range of all types of music/genres/sounds. Are the package deals good?

Well yeah. Theyre all good, but nobody here can tell you what you need....unless you want other people telling YOU what kind of guitar sound you like?

The thing about IRs is you need to know what you want or you'll just be going thru all of them looking for something that sounds good, which you may or may not find with a suggested pack. This is known as the rabbit hole.

• Like 1

You could walk before you run... the free Allure Pack offered by Line 6 can get you some decent IR's to get your feet wet. 

16 hours ago, IBbrianB said:

I would like to get IRs for the full range of all types of music/genres/sounds. Are the package deals good?

Yes the package deals are good... 

If you want a package that has options for all, I would recommend the "core tone bundle" under their multi cabinet libraries on the Ownhammer site. You will get a Fender, Vox, Marshall and Mesa cabinet which will cover a lot of ground. Once you get your feet wet you can decide which style you want to expand if you still think you need more options. 

There are a few Ownhammer options in the Line 6 Marketplace as well... but I think each bundle narrows in on one style of cabinet so you would like want more than one bundle to experiment. 

On a final note... if you have zero experience with IR's beware the rabbit hole that's already been mentioned. There can be hundreds of IR's in each pack... it can be very daunting if you don't know where to start. Rather than just experiment with each one looking for something you might like, take the time to learn (at least a little) how speakers, mics and mic position can effect the tones.  The better you understand this, the easier it is to identify an IR for your purpose much quicker.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2018 at 7:55 AM, njglover said:

Honestly try out the free Mesa pack from Ownhammer: https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=181&products_id=411. The IR I use is from that pack, so I haven't found much need to purchase a different one :p

I downloaded this last night....I just tried the first IR in the quick start folder and dropped it in the Cali Rectifier factory preset and WOW what a difference.

Highly recommend giving it a try.

This is coming from a novice Helix user that’s  not very good at dialing stuff in...but getting better.