Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

jtv-59 US seymour duncan??

thanks, i knew you'd have the answer -- which is as i had previously thought, based on this interview with rich renken: https://www.guitar-muse.com/interview-with-rich-renken-from-line-6-2979 -- but then this older video(2010?)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFsS6xyIra4, he refers to "seymour duncans and hipshot tuners"?

on another subject, i am about to receive a third korean cherry-burst 59(attached)new59.thumb.png.2e37d9d8905d27ec21385eab5aeaef36.png, from a top music industry person in L.A.(not someone i personally know, just turns out that's who it is) -- had to buy it due to its exceptional flame, more like a us made than a korean(though still a veneer) -- it's an early one, january 2011, i'm wondering if some of the early korean 59s were "special", as in world music showing what fine work they could do?

Yeah, Hip Shot tuners are standard on the US versions. PUP's based on Duncan specs.

We all know or met Duncan and chatted with him about pick-ups, and they do look a lot like his PUP's.

US 59 body/neck is more hand worked and finished. One of Tyler's people has a shop out here

where he does the US builds. He's really good, an old guitar guy like me.

Asian ones, like the one in the photo, are good too. I have three of them from the early batch, two from 

early 2011 (Tobacco and Cherry) and Black one from 2013. All play great.

The one you have now is Tobacco?

actually, the 3 i have are all cherry -- not by choice, just what was available

the latest, in the above photo, has arrived and i'm very happy with it, great deal -- a plus for me, its only 7 3/4# -- my other two are a lb more, not good for my back

so this new one comes, zero fret wear, rusted strings -- i don't think they ever used it in the studio -- also, the tuning knob, to go into 2-4, in which you use it as a push button, didn't want to do it at first, i think corrosion, 7 yrs of non-use

the bridge has more of an "aluminum" type appearance, not the later chrome plated look of my 2016 --wondering if the early ones had a different bridge? -- also, seems a bit more "plink" on the modelling?

so i guess some one didn't like their 59, but from what i've seen of the studio, it would appear that those recording had their pick of the real instruments -- well, its now my #1, paf all the way, and even if there was no modelling, this is as close to a 59 lp as i need to get.

Didn’t know Seymour background about 59 pups until reading here but I’ve always held JTV59 pups in high regard.  Very good sounding IMO.

Mr D wound some incredible Tele pups for me decades ago.  Really nailed what we were going for at the time.

I upgraded 2 Korean JTV59's with Hipshot locking tuners.  Great bang for buck.