Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recommendations about Spider Valve MK2 120 2x12

Backhoe

Hello,    Looking for tips on how to use/setup a Spider Valve MK2  120 2x12 that I recently purchased from an individual. Unfortunately two weeks after purchase the small rotary knob for the selections (toward the right side) fell off. Closer inspection proved the metal stem was broke off and someone had glued it back on. Contacted Line 6 to locate an authorized repair location. The only one in Indiana is 65mi South of me. Took it in and they estimated $160(ouch) and three weeks time. It has bee five weeks now, and was told it would be another two to three weeks yet when I called last week. 

So, while I am waiting on it to be fixed, I would appreciate any suggestions on how to set it up and get the best out of it.  The music I play is: 50/60 Rock n Roll, Old Country, and Gospel. Prior Line 6 experience is with my Spider 2 160w 2x12, and a Spider 3 75w 1x12 amp..    Thanks for the info and replies.

Best advice,...

Use the specified tubes, and have it properly biased by a Line 6 authorized service tech who knows the insides of these.

Don't do it yourself, the high voltage hazard makes it a dangerous thing. Keep your fingers out of the insides of these. It really

hurts if you get zapped.

• 4 years later...

Question.

I have my Catalyst (Send) jacked into my Spider Valve (Power Amp In). I know what happens at the Spider Valve end; access to full tube amp (pre & post) with just controls of Master & Presence. Manual found online states this plus provides a schematic. The Catalyst though, the manual gives 1 line. No schematic. So where in the signal chain is Catalyst Sending?
Reason, is the volume controls on the Catalyst work. I am concerned about whether too much volume from the Cat will blow the circuit (or whatever) on the Spider Valve Power Amp in.

I've plotted some tests (except for blowing it if that is possible) but also wanted to get any input from the experts.

Oh, why am I doing this? The front end of the Spider is WAY dated and out of support so no firmware update. But it is a tube (2x 12ax7s pre, 2x Sovtek5881s power) with 2x12 V Celestions. Love the front end of the Catalyst. Bought the Bogner for $250 at a pawn shop.

Thoughts? Any help appreciated.

Thanks!