Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mic Input for Vocoder

VmusicV

I haven't used the vocoder in a long time, and then only for experiment, but I recall that the Mic input is automatically assigned to it when the vocoder is added to a preset. You do not have to specifically assign it a an Input to the preset. You need to physically connect a mic to the Mic Input but you do not need to assign it otherwise.

Thank you for your response.

I haven't seen any videos of it on Youtube - so that's why I'm asking.

I "think" it's similar to the Boss VO-1. Where you provide a mic input and and instrument input - and then adjust your settings to mesh or vocode the two together ---  is that how it works??

Hi,

So now I'm concerned - there's one video online for the "voice box" effect, however it does not use a real mic input.

What I want to know is - does the Helix have an effect the Boss VO-1. (please check out the link)  It works because you provide a mic input and and instrument input - and then adjust your settings to mesh or vocode the two together ---  is that how this effect work in the Helix??

This is very different from a "formant" or vowel processor where vowel sounds are auto generated by the effects processor.

Which does Helix have?

Cornfuzed in Columbus

I'm darn near positive that it does not work like it did in the HD500. It has options for the vowels sounds it creates probably based on volume. Why would you need that if it uses the mic? I'm not at home so I can't confirm. But if it don't do anything with a mic connected and there's nothing in the parameters about a mic, I can only assume there is no mic involved.

Here's a quote in this thread from Digital Igloo

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, Helix was designed to act as the centerpiece of one's rig; it was not designed to replace every component in someone's rig. If a formant filter is mission crucial, we've provided multiple ways to incorporate it into Helix's signal flow. 

This would indicate to me there is no formant filter (what you would need to do what you want.).

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't believing anything, I was asking people who already have the Helix to get some confirmation from them.

The "other guy" down the road (FA Axe-Fx iii) - DOES have an effect much like the Boss VO-1, so it is possible.

So I'm disappointed here. While I get that no unit can be everything to everyone; since there's a truly a stomp box pedal (the Boss VO-1) that does this, it does seem like they could incorporate this into the unit. As far as vowel sound "formants" are concerned, again there are, and have been pedals like the Mobius that provide this effect, so it seems they should be able to incorporate this effect. What they have in there now is pretty lame based on the videos I've seen.

Disappointed in Denver

;-(

• Sad 1

Yeah, I would agree it's a little disappointing. Especially since it was in the HD500. Not a deal breaker for me personally but it would be nice.

It's has a couple of entries in the Line 6 Ideascale area. Vote it up!

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/ideas/search?templateId=0&query=formant

(you do need to log on before you can see them)