Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New To Helix and Looking for a good power cab to compliment.

nels2481

Hello, Kyle here...I'm new to the forums but am a little familiar with Line 6 products.  Back when I gigged in college, I always had a DL4 pedal but took a hiatus from actively playing once I graduated.  Anyhow, the guitar bug has bitten me again and I've been actively playing, practicing and collaborating with local artists in the Portland, OR area and am taking it seriously again.  It's really one of the things I love the most.

I just got a Line 6 Helix Floor for Christmas (early).  I literally just got it yesterday and am already started looking to buying a powered speaker/ FRFR to use live and at home in my basement.  I have been building up my guitar rig and figured having a helix would be the most efficient thing for me to do.  Plus I play at home a lot and have to go to different locations in town to meet up and jam/practice with folks.

I guess my question is, have any of you used the powercab plus from Line 6?  I was looking at this or the Mission Engineering Gemini. I want to be able to take this with me to gigs and practice sessions.  Not playing any place too big.  Can anyone attest or suggest any other powered speakers that work well with the helix?  I loved the idea of the powercab having the ability to load IRs to it.

Again, I'm new to this whole modeling thing as I've usually kept my guitar rig pretty simple but love the looks and sounds of the helix.  I can't wait to really dive into this weekend.

Thanks again for your input and hope everyone has a Great Holiday!

I really like Line 6's Powercab and it usually gets my vote. Generally the Mission Engineering Gemini is the one I hear described as the bee's knees, and it's definitely nice, but it's price tag puts it pretty far out of my range.  I've always been impressed with Mission products, and their FRFR stuff is no different. The best budget option I know if is the Headrush.

Have you considered going to a local music store to test them out?

I like running stereo, so I'd need two Powercabs - a bit too expensive and a bit too heavy. I'm currently using two JBL EON610s for gigging. I can't say these are stellar and wonderful, but they certainly get the job done. I've used them in different configurations depending on how much stage space I get (often not much in small pubs): side by side, stacked, and only one/mono. 

I think you can get good results from a lot of different FRFR options. But you'll need to create your patches for your FRFR, no matter what it is.

I bought a PowerCab+ to use with my Helix. I'm very happy with it. My other top consideration was the Gemini Io. But that seemed to have limited options, it didn't even have a 1/4" input if I remember right. I couldn't find any good reviews on it, so I went PC+ and it's working for me very well. 

I run a simple rig on stage... I keep it mono. Add to that, I'm a cheap bugger that doesn't like to spend money :) 

I picked up an old Peavey Silverstripe Bandit a while back for about $50... then loaded it with an Eminence BETA 12LTA Coax full range speaker. I plug my Helix into the EFFECT IN which bypasses the Peavey pre-amp, but still gives me access to the T-Dynamics, Presence and Resonance which I may adjust for the room on occasion.  

80% of the time I don't need that as I have an adequate monitor system / mix to use, but it comes in handy when I am playing a gig with a small monitor rig... or something with just one mix. 

At home I run the helix through my home studio setup which includes a couple of sets of monitors I can flip between. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, codamedia said:

I run a simple rig on stage... I keep it mono. Add to that, I'm a cheap bugger that doesn't like to spend money :) 

I picked up an old Peavey Silverstripe Bandit a while back for about $50... then loaded it with an Eminence BETA 12LTA Coax full range speaker. I plug my Helix into the EFFECT IN which bypasses the Peavey pre-amp, but still gives me access to the T-Dynamics, Presence and Resonance which I may adjust for the room on occasion.  

80% of the time I don't need that as I have an adequate monitor system / mix to use, but it comes in handy when I am playing a gig with a small monitor rig... or something with just one mix. 

At home I run the helix through my home studio setup which includes a couple of sets of monitors I can flip between. 

Do you use this in a live setting? Do you mic the Bandit or go direct from Helix to PA?

23 hours ago, Rocco_Crocco said:

Do you use this in a live setting? Do you mic the Bandit or go direct from Helix to PA?

The only time I use this setup is in a Live setting... I always go direct to the PA/FOH. 

I setup my patches on my studio monitors (2 sets) at relatively loud volume....and they translate well to the PA, Monitors, and this little pseudo FRFR I put together. 

Sometimes I need this setup to fill a small room (legion gigs in particular) and it does a great job, but on most gigs it only supplements what I hear through my monitor mix, and fools the musician snobs into thinking I'm playing through an amp :) 

I'd love a L6 Powercab... but even the regular one is $800 here in Canada. I also don't think I would use the speakers models.. I'd just set it to full range and use the cab modeling or IR's from the Helix. That is sort of what I put together with my little setup. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Think I'm just going to keep it simple and get the Helix and Powercab plus.  I really wanted to splurge and get the Gemini but the ability to load custom IR on the powercab is what made it the deciding factor for myself.

Might have to get another one in the future since my main guitar now is a Jp15 in trans black.  Want to get the best out of that piezo haha.

Think I'm just going to keep it simple and get the Helix and Powercab plus.

Smart choice! And you can always add a second one later to run stereo if you so desire. As far as weight, they re fairly light- 35lbs is "not" heavy for a speaker cab even @ 60. ; )