Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is this a bad time to buy a brand new HD500x? (or any other ME in the same price range)

Takoyaki92

Hello everyone. I want to buy a mid range ME pedal, and my options so far are Zoom g5n, POD HD500x, and Boss GT-100. Upon lots of research I've decided on the HD500x, but due to tax deduction it is not convenient for me to buy it second hand. Now, I've seen that the HD500x has a few years on the market (even the software looks a bit outdated), and with NAMM 2019 just around the corner I'm starting to suspect that the HD 500x might be going bust soon (the same with the g5n and the GT-100). With Line 6 so adamant in pushing the Helix line, I can't help but picture a future with a Helix 2xLite that ends up replacing the HD500x.

Being that this would be my first Line 6 product, I wanted to ask to those who have better knowledge about the brand about the longevity of the HD500x , or any other mid range ME in the market. 

Thanks.

1. If you want an MFX, don't buy a L6 product. Buy L6 if you want to use amp modeling. Otherwise, you are buying a Ferrari to use as a golf cart. 

2. If you can't afford the 500x, you can buy a 500 for a few quid less. Literally the same unit, but an internal part had been discontinued (by the supplier), so L6 added an X to the name to keep them separated. 

3. The 500x is the best unit in its (retail) price range. 

4. The HD series was replaced years ago, but because of business stuff they are still keeping it around - and they will for quite awhile yet. In addition, a Helix Jr would be more like a M series (effects only) than it would an HD. Besides, if a company stops making a product, does a product automatically stop working? 

25 minutes ago, pianoguyy said:

1. If you want an MFX, don't buy a L6 product. .....

Not so sure about that. The Helix FX device has no amp modeling and is, I think, a good candidate to compare with non-L6 MFX units. The Line 6 M9 and M13 are still good candidates too, I think.

Please clarify... are you looking for a good MULTI EFFECTS or did you also want amp simulation? 

If you just want effects, look at the HX Effects... just a few pennies more than the HD500 and you get the HX (Helix) technology. 

8 hours ago, Takoyaki92 said:

I can't help but picture a future with a Helix 2xLite that ends up replacing the HD500x.

That would already exist... it's the HELIX LT. Similar size, similar "hardware" (in/outs/switches/pedal) just with the latest technology. If you want something more lite on the pocket book then there is the HX Stomp or HX Effects (effects only) mentioned earlier which are both closer to the HD500 in price.

6 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

2. If you can't afford the 500x, you can buy a 500 for a few quid less. Literally the same unit, but an internal part had been discontinued (by the supplier), so L6 added an X to the name to keep them separated. 

X has an upgraded processor so the DSP limit is increased by about 20%. 

X has upgraded footswitches that are more reliable, and have the O rings. 

This is an advanced difference... but it's always worth noting. The X cannot make a connection between older Variax guitars and Workbench on a computer.... something the original HD500 could do with no problems. So even though the units are suppose to be running the same software, SOMETHING has changed under the hood :) 

7 hours ago, pianoguyy said:

1. If you want an MFX, don't buy a L6 product. Buy L6 if you want to use amp modeling. Otherwise, you are buying a Ferrari to use as a golf cart. 

3. The 500x is the best unit in its (retail) price range. 

4. The HD series was replaced years ago, but because of business stuff they are still keeping it around - and they will for quite awhile yet. In addition, a Helix Jr would be more like a M series (effects only) than it would an HD. Besides, if a company stops making a product, does a product automatically stop working? 

1. I am so sorry I did not clarify this before, but amp modeling is my priority (thats why I ended up with L6 in the first place). I'm looking for an "all in one" station sort to speak. 

2. It is not that I cannot aford it, is just that I want to make a smart investment. 

3. I'm aware of that, that's why in the end I went with the 500x :)

4. Glad to know that that you are positive about the future of the 500x. Indeed, a company stopping the production of a product doesn't make it useless; however once a company stops production, prices tend to go lower both on second hand and retail of said product (unless we are talking about "holy grail" kind of thing). As you can probably tell, if I found the 500x cheaper two months after I bought it brand new just because L6 announced its discontinuation. 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

Please clarify... are you looking for a good MULTI EFFECTS or did you also want amp simulation? 

If you just want effects, look at the HX Effects... just a few pennies more than the HD500 and you get the HX (Helix) technology. 

That would already exist... it's the HELIX LT. Similar size, similar "hardware" (in/outs/switches/pedal) just with the latest technology. If you want something more lite on the pocket book then there is the HX Stomp or HX Effects (effects only) mentioned earlier which are both closer to the HD500 in price.

I am so sorry I did not clarify this before, but amp simulation is indeed my priority. As I answered before, my objective with a MFX AMP SIM pedal is to have an all in one station. As for what I meant with the "Helix 2xLite" was an even more stripped out version of the HELIX LT. Maybe I don't understand how the instrument industry works, but it is difficult for me to understand why a company wouldn't make an effort to push its brand new technology to a bigger audience, more so after said technology has been on premium products for a couple of years. But maybe it is not the time yet. 

1 hour ago, codamedia said:

This is an advanced difference... but it's always worth noting. The X cannot make a connection between older Variax guitars and Workbench on a computer.... something the original HD500 could do with no problems. So even though the units are suppose to be running the same software, SOMETHING has changed under the hood :) 

Thanks for clarifying the differences beetwen the X and "non X". 

3 hours ago, hurghanico said:

If you look for more product development and updates about the POD, forget it and buy something else, the Line6 HX Stomp or the Atomic Amplifire would be good newer alternatives to the POD being more or less in the same price range, they are still in development but both have less useful hardware options available compared to the older POD.

That said if you buy a POD HD500X new it should work very well at least for some years without having to be serviced to replace some of the worn out parts, unless some accident happens before.

Regarding the dedicated computer editor I guess that it will still work with the future windows and mac OS updates/upgrades, nobody can really guarantee it, but at least until the HD500X will not be EOL there shouldn't be compatibility problems.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

I am not exactly an "early adopter" kind of guy, and I understand a product like this achieving its "final state" after many years of support where all the glitches and bugs have been corrected and there is nothing more substantial to work on. Throughout the years I have learn that when buying retail, its best to buy on the mid term of the product of choice (maybe Apple have corrupted me in that sense). It is obviously difficult to predict when L6 is going to slash the 500x, but given its number of years and the fact that there is new technology I assumed that the product was close to be unlisted. 

I've researched some of the products you suggested. They sound like terrific products, however I'm looking for a unit that includes the expression pedal on itself. I am looking for an "all in one" station kind of thing. And as for the editor, I'm a Windows user and I wouldn't be too much concerned about compatibility. Is just that the presentation of the software and it's many changes (or its complete stasis) can sometimes tell you how much more the company is paying attention to such product and how much are they betting on its future. 

4. The HD series was replaced years ago, but because of business stuff they are still keeping it around - and they will for quite awhile yet. In addition, a Helix Jr would be more like a M series (effects only) than it would an HD. Besides, if a company stops making a product, does a product automatically stop working? 

4. Glad to know that that you are positive about the future of the 500x. Indeed, a company stopping the production of a product doesn't make it useless; however once a company stops production, prices tend to go lower both on second hand and retail of said product (unless we are talking about "holy grail" kind of thing). As you can probably tell, if I found the 500x cheaper two months after I bought it brand new just because L6 announced its discontinuation. 

They have raised the price. 

Plus, they have a very beneficial deal with the manufacturer. 

Maybe I don't understand how the instrument industry works, but it is difficult for me to understand why a company wouldn't make an effort to push its brand new technology to a bigger audience, more so after said technology has been on premium products for a couple of years. But maybe it is not the time yet. 

Most of the allure of the Helix are the non-musical things, like a color touchscreen. Those things can't be made cheaper to accommodate "smaller" devices like a Helix Jr. So, it becomes cost ineffective to "push the technology to a larger audience". Particularly when they have a long term manufacturing contract on the older gear. Think about it, if you could make a product for 10% of its retail price, or one for 90% of the same retail price... as a business you have to think about profit margins and make the cheaper one. 

Thanks for clarifying the differences beetwen the X and "non X". 

But even though the DSP has been increased (that is the part that was discontinued), the unit does not run any faster, and you are still limited to a maximum of 8 effects and 2 amps. 

I am not exactly an "early adopter" kind of guy, and I understand a product like this achieving its "final state" after many years of support where all the glitches and bugs have been corrected and there is nothing more substantial to work on. Throughout the years I have learn that when buying retail, its best to buy on the mid term of the product of choice (maybe Apple have corrupted me in that sense). It is obviously difficult to predict when L6 is going to slash the 500x, but given its number of years and the fact that there is new technology I assumed that the product was close to be unlisted. 

I've researched some of the products you suggested. They sound like terrific products, however I'm looking for a unit that includes the expression pedal on itself. I am looking for an "all in one" station kind of thing. And as for the editor, I'm a Windows user and I wouldn't be too much concerned about compatibility. Is just that the presentation of the software and it's many changes (or its complete stasis) can sometimes tell you how much more the company is paying attention to such product and how much are they betting on its future. 

Music technology is not like other technologies. For example, MIDI music (keyboards) used floppy discs well after the rest of the world, and probably would still be using it had Microsoft (software) and Dell (hardware) not made the decision to stop including them as standard equipment. MIDI file size is very small. Who needs a 700mb cd or a 128gb thumb drive when 1.44mb can store hours of music.  

And the editor is designed just for that - editing. It is not a 'live performance controller'. It doesn't need to be a showpiece. 

Just because something is old doesn't make it bad.  For example the Tube Screamer is still one of the most popular overdrive pedals and it's been out for decades.  The PODHD is still and will always be a very good product.  It just won't be updated anymore.  With that said, I would personally be looking at the Helix LT.  I know it's twice the price but it sounds better and is much easier to use.  If that's just plain out of your budget then the PODHD is still a very good product.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I bought a pod hd 500x in April 2020 lockdown , brilliant piece of kit.

I was going to buy a helix but i didn't need all the in's and out's and IR.

The hd500x  is excellent for the price i paid, £349.00 new.

Well worth the money, dont bother with the  pre installed presets, make your own or download some from custom tones and tweak them to taste.

Sounds awesome. 

And for the age of the unit, still worth every penny.  Or cent.

In a stunning twist of funny: 

This posting is 18 months old. You can search to see others that are even older - all talking about how the unit is old and will soon be discontinued. 

Yet, here we are, with the product still being made and sold. 

What would some of these people have done had they waited for a "discontinued" or "remaining inventory" price. 

*Of course, I don't know what the 'global plandemic' is going to change when it comes to device availability/continuity. But, six year old posts all declaring the device dead and not worth buying... 

• 2 months later...

Hi, I just bought the POD500X. This is my very first L6 equipment. I remember not liking L6 back in the day. Always stuck with CRATE and BOSS. I've always used BOSS pedalboards, no single pedals. (it gets quite expensive). So I got this last week and I'm in love with it. I've been told that it's an amazing pedalboard and others tell me that it has been outdated. But, so far I'm happy with my purchase. It's not cheap, but I know it's money well spent.