Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Delay when playing audio from PC to Stomp via USB

Gandorf

Hi there,

I have the following setup (excuse the sad ASCII art): 

PC ---USB---> HX       

Guitar---------> Stomp  ---> Headphones

So basically PC and guitar into the stomp and headphones out. I want to use the Stomp as a soundcard so I can jam to tracks, youtube lessons etc.  (note I'm not using a DAW or anything on the PC, so am not sending any audio from the stomp to the PC)

With the Stomp, there is a 5 - 10 second delay when playing any sound from the PC (e.g. playing an mp3, watching a video).  Once playing it is OK, but once I pause,. pick a different videos etc the delay comes back.  It's almost as if the USB connection goes to sleep and needs to wake up.

I can play audio via my Yamaha THR10c amp (also connected via USB) and it works fine, without any delay.  So I think this is something Stomp or driver specific and not related to my PC  (note the Stomp and THR10c are not powered on at the same time  so shouldn't conflict).

Has anyone any idea how I might resolve this?

Details:

- Windows 10 64-bit

- Stomp firmware 2.71

- Control panel shows  

1. Line 6 > HX Stomp - Driver Provider Line 6, Driver version 1.0.0.0, Date 09/01/2018

2. Audio inputs and outputs > Speakers (HX Stomp) -  Driver Provider: Microsoft, Driver version 10.0.17134.1, Date 11/04/2018

- HX Stomp is the default device in Sound > Palback

- Using the cable provided with the stomp into a rear USB 2.0 port 

- Ryzen 5 CPU and B350 motherboard

Thanks!

23 hours ago, Gandorf said:

2. Audio inputs and outputs > Speakers (HX Stomp) -  Driver Provider: Microsoft, Driver version 10.0.17134.1, Date 11/04/2018

In the Windows Sound Panel, both Recording and Playback should be set to the HX.

Glad I came across this thread. 

I have a Yamaha THR10C that I've never USB connected to my Dell XPS15 Laptop while using my Helix Floor.

When my HX Stomp finally ships (may be a few more weeks) I will try it with the Laptop and probably on occasion the Yamaha THR10C (as the Yamaha is so compact and sounds great near-field).

In the meantime, post your updates.

2 hours ago, rd2rk said:

In the Windows Sound Panel, both Recording and Playback should be set to the HX.

Hi, I tried making the stomp the default for both recording and playback (previously it was only the default for playback).  but it doesn't make any difference, I have the same behaviour.  Youtube is interesting, it starts the video with no sound, then the sound comes in 10 seconds later, but from the start, so the video and audio are out of sync.  It's very annoying.

1 hour ago, MusicLaw said:

Glad I came across this thread. 

I have a Yamaha THR10C that I've never USB connected to my Dell XPS15 Laptop while using my Helix Floor.

When my HX Stomp finally ships (may be a few more weeks) I will try it with the Laptop and probably on occasion the Yamaha THR10C (as the Yamaha is so compact and sounds great near-field).

In the meantime, post your updates.

The THR10C is a great piece of kit :-)   Was playing around with it and the Stomp today and the THR actually sounds great as a FRFR speaker for the stomp.  Also is great with the Stomp in front for effects of course.  

I would like to get the HX Stomp USB playback issue fixed through, it's the only issue so far with what I think is a fantastic piece of gear!  So any suggestions feel free :-)

As an update I tried this today:

- Updated the chipset drivers for my B350 motherboard to the latest

- Updated the Realtek audio drivers to the latest

- Reinstalled the line6 HX Edit 2.70 and all the driver that come with it including the USB drivers

- Disabled all other playback devices in the sound panel except the Stomp and the Realtek Audio

- Moved the stomp from a USB 2.0 port to a USB 3.0 port

Something above seems to have helped - the audio delay is down to 5 secs now, and seems to occur less often after the initial occurrence (as if it doesn't "go to sleep" as quickly)

Not sure if this is as good as it gets or there is a fix to remove the delay completely.

Thanks for the updates. Keep chipping away at it.

When I have used the THR10C with the Helix Floor, it's been analog connected and near-field. I set the THR10C Amp selection knob to Flat with Helix connected to the THR10C's Guitar In. My preference, however, is to connect the Helix's L&R outs (Headphone, Mains, or FX Sends) to the Yamaha's AuxIn. Sounds absolutely phenomenal in stereo! If the Holiday's aren't too insanely crazy I may try connecting it via USB to see how things fly.

On ‎12‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, Gandorf said:

As an update I tried this today:

- Updated the chipset drivers for my B350 motherboard to the latest

- Updated the Realtek audio drivers to the latest

- Reinstalled the line6 HX Edit 2.70 and all the driver that come with it including the USB drivers

- Disabled all other playback devices in the sound panel except the Stomp and the Realtek Audio

- Moved the stomp from a USB 2.0 port to a USB 3.0 port

Something above seems to have helped - the audio delay is down to 5 secs now, and seems to occur less often after the initial occurrence (as if it doesn't "go to sleep" as quickly)

Not sure if this is as good as it gets or there is a fix to remove the delay completely.

I'm on the fence about getting a Stomp. This 5 second latency concerns me. I'm surprised I haven't seen other people complain about it, or I missed it if they did.

25 minutes ago, specracer986 said:

I'm on the fence about getting a Stomp. This 5 second latency concerns me. I'm surprised I haven't seen other people complain about it, or I missed it if they did.

I've never seen anybody complain about 5 SECOND latency on ANY L6 product. The reason that you haven't seen anybody else complaining is that this is a problem specific to OP's configuration. I have no clue what it could be, but it's certainly not standard.

OP - time to open a support ticket! Actually, I'd call and get a human on the phone. This sounds like that kind of problem!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, specracer986 said:

Just to weigh in here, I have a Stomp, I do this kind of setup all the time, and I have not run into the latency that is referred to by the original poster. For me, it's been nothing but awesome.

I'm not doubting their experience, but I have no idea why they're experiencing it. 

On 12/25/2018 at 3:19 AM, rd2rk said:

I've never seen anybody complain about 5 SECOND latency on ANY L6 product. The reason that you haven't seen anybody else complaining is that this is a problem specific to OP's configuration. I have no clue what it could be, but it's certainly not standard.

OP - time to open a support ticket! Actually, I'd call and get a human on the phone. This sounds like that kind of problem!

Hi,  yes - I think a support ticket is the only hope.  I've exhausted all the things I can think of, and there's nothing special about my setup (unless perhaps the Yamaha Steinberg THR and line6 USB drivers are conflicting somehow, hmmm).  

On 12/25/2018 at 5:58 AM, Kilrahi said:

Just to weigh in here, I have a Stomp, I do this kind of setup all the time, and I have not run into the latency that is referred to by the original poster. For me, it's been nothing but awesome.

I'm not doubting their experience, but I have no idea why they're experiencing it. 

Good to hear!  I figured it can't be a common thing or people would be complaining more.