Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 Cable Method Vs. L6 Link With Podhd And Dt25

STPLE

Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.  If this has been covered before I am sorry - I can't seem to find all the old threads.

I absolutely love the DT25.  I love the tones and flexibility.  Here is my setup.  Currently I have a PODHD500 and use the L6 Link to connect to the DT25 (head and cab).  I have not updated the DT25 to 2.0.  It still has the original firmware.  I use a XLR out of the DT25 to PA/House (I don't mic the cab).  The amp is setup on stage with an attenuator.  I use the amp as my own personal monitor for my guitar.  The master on the amp is usually stays put at around 2 o'clock.  This is a church setting so a typical set will range from very clean warm tone all the way to very aggressive crunch and/or distortion.  I usually use two or three amp models (usually 4-5 different tones with different delays, etc.) for each set.  (By the way, I have been able to control the volume between patches very successfully - with time, patience and help from other forum members it can be done).  I play an American Strat with humbucker pick ups.

Here is my question.  Would it be worth trying out the 4 cable method and not using the L6 Link??  I have heard others comment that they think the amp sounds better going direct into the amp.  Would it be worth trying out (borrowing cables, updating the DT25 firmware, getting a MIDI device, readjusting patches, etc.)??

Kinda an open ended question.  Just looking for those who have tried both methods and what you thought - or if you noticed a difference at all.

Thanks in advance.

You don't need the 4cm to try this, just plug your guitar directly to your amp.Does it sound better? Does it feel better? I guess that would answer your question :) In my case, I prefer the sound of the amp and I'm going 4cm all the way, but I'm in the minority side.

Here is the only thing that can be different by not using the L6 link.  You can keep your POD set to Studio Direct and you can use your dual amp patches, even though they get summed to mono in the end.  The preamps in the DT are EXACTLY the same as in the POD so there is NO benefit whatsoever to the 4 cable method except to limit your options and create a messy setup. 

Using the L6 link switches your POD to Combo/Stack depending on what you have and configures the power section accordingly.  By going straight into the FX Return however, you can just use the power amp section and your cab and keep the POD in Studio Direct.  All your patches stay the same, you are just using the tube power section to drive your cab.  You can still manually change the topography, Class A/AB and Triode/Pentode. 

Is it worth it?  Try it and see for yourself but I definitely think 4 cable with a DT is a complete waste of time.  I've tried it and you gain absolutely nothing.  Straight to the FX Return at least has a logical possible difference.

Edit - after careful thought, there is one scenario where 4cm could benefit.  By using the preamp in the DT you free up a lot of DSP in the POD for FX use if you really need a FX heavy patch.

• Upvote 2

I've been playing through a DT50 Head plugging the HD500 directly in the front using Stack Front setting and it sound pretty good to my ears. I'm going to try other ways down the line but I'm going to enjoy it like this for now.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I haven't played it direct since the day I bought it. I like the way it plays and sounds now so I'll just keep going as is and not mess with the 4cm.

Radatats you mentioned doing the firmware update. If the HD 500 is up to date - what is the benefit of the amp update??

Thanks again.