Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sample Rate Craziness

vstrattomusic

Hello,

I've been recording some songs, and the Helix's sample rate is default at 48000Hz, however my projects are in 41000Hz, I've run into problems after hearing ticks in my tracks, thinking I'm going to have to record it all again, but then I switched the project sample rate to 48000Hz, and they went away however, the audio files now come up as modified, I'm using Studio One 4.

What should I do? Re-record 4 songs again just to be safe or is there some workaround to this?

Nope, nevermind turns out Helix only outputs 48000Hz audio, the setting has no effect on USB signal, turns out I'm doing all my songs in 48000Hz now? Or maybe I should record with my Focusrite 2i4 and then Reamp through the Helix? But then the signal will be different since the Focusrite guitar signal will be a lot stronger than the Helix guitar signal.

10 hours ago, zolko60 said:

Nope.
Helix LT, Floor, Rack outputs and inputs all sampling rates up to 96kHz thru USB on Win nad OSX.
Helix LT, Floor, Rack outputs all sampling 
rates thru AES/EBU.

It can't be!! Then why do all audio interfaces have an option to change sample rates in the driver options but not this one? Why do I get pops and crackles that are related to sample rate?

5 minutes ago, zolko60 said:

It can be!
I do not know anything about Studio One 4 and your operating system, but on Windows, any ASIO DAW/host I use requests sample rate and buffer size and gets it. No pops and crackles, just higher latency than expected.

Anyway I'm going to try again today, switched all projects to 48kHz, disabled & disconnected all other audio interfaces. Usually I switch between Helix & the Focusrite, using the Focusrite for direct monitoring with XLR & mixing when I'm done with the Helix, today I'll be direct monitoring through the headphones output.

Update (from the manual):

Helix functions as a USB 2.0, multiple-input/output, 24-bit - 96kHz, low-latency audio
interface for Windows
® and Mac® computers, as well as for iPad and iPhone (with
optional Apple Camera Connection Kit adapter), and is compatible with all major DAW
software.

NOTE: For USB audio operation on Windows® computers, it is necessary to
download and install the Line 6 Helix ASIO
® driver (see page 56). For Mac®
computers, it is only necessary to download and install the Line 6 Mac® Core
Audio driver if you desire audio sample rate operation at rates other than 48kHz
(see
page 56). These drivers are available from line6.com/software. There is no
driver installation necessary for an Apple iPad or iPhone.

This seems to imply the USB is set to 48kHz as standard and can be changed thrue the driver software.

Don't ypu just love manuals?

• Sad 1

On 12/26/2018 at 1:11 PM, zolko60 said:

(...) on Windows, any ASIO DAW/host I use requests sample rate and buffer size and gets it. No pops and crackles, just higher latency than expected.

USB sample rate is independent from Hx DSP native sample rate. It is dependendent on ASIO driver (or OSX Core Audio request when multi sampling rate driver is used).

It can't be changed by control panel.

This is Focusrite Control Panel, which I can access from the Win start menu:

j3ZfR2s.png

This is Helix Control Panel, which I can only access from the DAW:

D0H7aOe.png

It doesn't specify any sample rate in the manual, that's wrong, there should be more info on that. It just sticks to the sample rate of the project, it's a bit confusing.

Yeah, in Studio One 4 you don't need to touch anything either but still it would have been nice to have some official clarification, I was having pops/crackles issues, which seemed to be related to sample rate so I wanted to sync the Helix > Helix Driver > DAW sample rates. Then again the Helix itself outputs 16 bit audio but then works as a 24 bit interface too doesn't it?

Anyway I don't care that much about the drivers bugging out and giving me pops and crackles, what bothers me is that I don't want those pops and crackles to be recorded in my DI guitar takes that I will use for reamping later. It can be very hard to get everything in perfect timing and tuning, it makes me mad having to record the same song like 5 times.

I can not confirm the behavior you report. I have some crackles on the 64 samples buffer at 96 and 48kHz with high CPU load, however Helix seems to be stable audio interface (with higher latency than I was expected in 2015).
Maybe you run two interfaces with no sync and that induces jitter?
I believe helix is 24 bit.
If you are not successful at making Helix work as an interface, you can try its digital outputs to another interface.

EDIT: I used to have big crackle problem and Hx Edit disconnecting after couple of minutes untill I swapped USB cable.