Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question about OwmHammer IR pack

vonprater

I just bought the OwmHammer Recto 412 pack. Last night I figured out how to authorize my purchase and downloaded the zip file. I'm new to this to forgive the weekly questions from me.

I quickly recognized that my Helix can't hold all of the Presets available in the pack - first world problems. I read the "Read Me" section and decided the best course of action was to download all the premixed IRs. So I imported ALL, BAL, FWD, MDRN, etc. for each of the speaker options. My question is am I IR'ing right and am I missing out on the other IRs that are in the pack? What's your approach?

Also I must give praise to OwmHammer. I immediately did comparisons between stock cabs and IRs. To my ears the IR has a sense of authenticity and breath life into each AMP Block I selected. Went with the Recto 412 because I play primarily 80s Dokkenesque stuff, Metalcore, thrash, etc. 

Also looking for opinions on my next purchase. 

EDIT(spelling): HAHAHAHA I thought it was OhmHammer, so stupid....

Not to nitpick... but it's "OWNHAMMER" with an "N". As in... "I own a hammer" :)  

There is no right or wrong way to approach it. Some of us have enough "real world" experience with cabs/mics/placement to zero in on the IR's we are looking for, others don't know where to start - and that can be a little daunting. 

Every cabinet has a tone, every speaker has a tone, every mic has a tone, and every mic position has a tone. Ownhammer goes further by combining cabinets, combining speakers, combining mics, combining positions, etc... etc...   If I'm not mistaken, the Marketplace set you bought has narrowed it down to ONE CABINET, but you still have a lot of speakers, mic's and positions to figure out. 

How much you want to learn is up to you. You can choose an IR that sounds good and call it a day until you decide to try something different, or you can read a bunch of articles and watch countless hours of videos about all the differences so you can feel more confident in your choices. Either way, over time you will learn and understand not only the differences, but what you actually like and don't like.

I thought I corrected the Own/Ohm thing before anyone saw this. Ohm seems to make more sense to me but I don't call the shots.

Yes the pack I bought was $19.99 and was my testing of the IR world to see if it was worth it. It includes the following:

https://www.ownhammer.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=176

Cab based on a "Based on a Mesa Boogie Standard/Oversized straight 4x12 cabinet"

-6 Speakers including a C60, C70, and C90

-7ish? Mics

I'm so far partial to the C70 and other Celestion speakers with Balanced, Modern, Forward, and Full mixes. As of right now, no this isn't something I want to research super deep. I think I'll continue to use OwnHammer because I really like their mixes they include in the pack and they sound super legit. I had a really hard time dialing in the stock cabs and mics. It seemed like only a couple of mics weren't muddy and a lot of the cabinets just didn't sound good for metal. I mean I tried quite a few things but didn't and still don't understand how that all works. All my attention is on dialing in Amps and learning how signal paths work to my benefit.