Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.8 is confirmed. No release date. Not until after NAMM Jan 24-27

brue58ski

I debated whether to post this or not. Bottom line, I'd want to know. So here's a quote from Digital Igloo posted today at TGP.

Finishing up Helix Core has been a slog. We have models for 2.80 finished (and more to come) but haven't even started on user-facing features, as we'd have to code everything twice (once for Helix Core SKUs, again for those that don't aren't yet fully Core). There'll probably be a preview at NAMM but it won't be ready until later.

My personal pet feature made it in. Finally.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, brue58ski said:

I debated whether to post this or not. Bottom line, I'd want to know. So here's a quote from Digital Igloo posted today at TGP.

Finishing up Helix Core has been a slog. We have models for 2.80 finished (and more to come) but haven't even started on user-facing features, as we'd have to code everything twice (once for Helix Core SKUs, again for those that don't aren't yet fully Core). There'll probably be a preview at NAMM but it won't be ready until later.

My personal pet feature made it in. Finally.

Well, I appreciate you sharing that information since L6 doesn't like to post here often for whatever reason, and I can't do TGP anymore...too many old farts that can't take a joke and report even the slightest thing to mods.

What was his personal pet feature again? Was it the coffee maker or was it polyphonic pitch stuff?

20 minutes ago, rsvette12 said:

Not a member and I see posts

I don't even check there any more. Couple of mods are basically "fun police" who ban/block people for whatever they see fit, even if it falls well within forum rules. That and I can't help but poke the bear when a certain speaker designer posts his condescending lollipopry, lol. Not sure why the L6 guys don't post over here more often.

• Haha 1

Well that's kind of exciting!  On one hand I'm grateful for you sharing, and on the other I'm  pissed that I just got past Christmas and am already feeling hyped for something. I was hoping for a few more days of a calm life void of the want for anything.

Seriously though, thanks for passing it on. I can't wait . . .

Sweet. I like new models, and I am excited about that, especially if it's a high gain focus.

Frank has me just as excited as DI. Stating that 2.80 is cool, but 2019 is gonna be a great year for Helix. I'm paraphrasing of course.

Especially since future updates will allow metering to be an option.

Breaking news! We now know exactly what we all knew when 2.7 came out: Eventually there will be a 2.8... and it'll have stuff in it. Whew! What a relief....but what stuff and when it might arrive are still (as always) a complete mystery.

I haven't been this informed since the last time I didn't know anything. ;)

• Upvote 2

Hot diggity, this is so fricking exciting. This is huge news. Read between the lines. They are basically updating the whole engine, allowing for more GUI options. They said meters can come. Well, so can probably stuff like visual EQ curves and other cool stuff. I mean, they mentioned meters specifically, but what this implies is that they can add more moving stuff to the screen. More interactive visual features. And that's only the GUI side. This is really huge imo. Way excited.

8 hours ago, feffa86 said:

Hot diggity, this is so fricking exciting. This is huge news. Read between the lines. They are basically updating the whole engine, allowing for more GUI options. They said meters can come. Well, so can probably stuff like visual EQ curves and other cool stuff. I mean, they mentioned meters specifically, but what this implies is that they can add more moving stuff to the screen. More interactive visual features. And that's only the GUI side. This is really huge imo. Way excited.

I wouldn't get too excited.  They're not "updating" Helix core as that was done a couple of releases ago which gave birth to Helix core.  It's more about consolidating Helix core so that it's consistent between all the platforms.  This will allow them to more quickly introduce features simultaneously between all the different platforms (floor, rack, LT, HX FX, Stomp), but the graphics part was all worked out with the tuner, so that does leave open some interesting possibilities for the future as you mentioned.

9 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Breaking news! We now know exactly what we all knew when 2.7 came out: Eventually there will be a 2.8. Whew! What a relief...of course what it'll contain and when it might arrive are still (as always) a complete mystery... 

I haven't been this informed since the last time I didn't know anything. ;)

This is pretty much why I had a debate with myself as to whether to post it here or not.

Apparently some people just hate being hyped. To me it's like watching the next Avengers trailer. The movie is probably nothing like you envision it, but who cares?  If it ends up being an awesome movie, the memory of the hype just makes it all the more cool.

If the movie sucks then yeah . . . but that's the risk of getting excited about anything, including Christmas.

I say it's awesome, and I'm excited to be excited.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PiFromBRC said:

TGP is blowing up over this.  I'm-a gonna sit it out as rumors suck until they're disproven.

I'm not sure what rumor you're talking about. I only quoted what Digital Igloo said and there was no more info other than it's coming next year. I've seen nothing else. DI wouldn't say it if it was merely a rumor. Lot's of what people hope is being posted over there in TGP. But no rumors to be disproven. Not yet anyway.

It's a wonderful piece of kit and you get free upgrades as well. You don't get that with nasal hair trimmers or those little vacs for doing the car. I got my Helix Floor last Christmas and I'm still happily playing with it (as well as through it) with no end to the fun in sight. I'll take whatever is given in v2.8 with appropriate gratitude :-)

We are so lucky to have stuff like this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BBD_123 said:

It's a wonderful piece of kit and you get free upgrades as well. You don't get that with nasal hair trimmers or those little vacs for doing the car. I got my Helix Floor last Christmas and I'm still happily playing with it (as well as through it) with no end to the fun in sight. I'll take whatever is given in v2.8 with appropriate gratitude :-)

We are so lucky to have stuff like this.

You bring up a good point though. If you can come up with a way to provide downloadable updates to nose hair trimmers you might have just created THE next innovation of the 21st century, and be rich beyond the dreams of avarice . . .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

No thanks... blind guessing is an excellent way to end up woefully disappointed.

It is really not just blind guessing.

This is a system-wide optimization pass to prepare for the next big thing. I do not agree that it is blind guessing. Guessing what card out of the 52 you are thinking about would be. Assuming what the exact feature the next patch has will be would also be a blind guess. But assuming that a large operational software restructuring is meant to prepare for a large software feature(s) is a given. Frank from Line 6 also specifically said in the thread that 2.80 was cool, but that 2019 will be big. And that this operational update enables a lot of GUI stuff like meters. He ALSO said that another thing this does is to make it easier to put out future updates)(plural). What do you make of those statements? Another stomp and a new flanger? We're getting something more than a few amp models. I don't merely just think that any more than I just think that my science book was right that the sun is in fact a star. I haven't actually been to the sun either. Maybe it's all voodoo. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

You bring up a good point though. If you can come up with a way to provide downloadable updates to nose hair trimmers you might have just created THE next innovation of the 21st century, and be rich beyond the dreams of avarice . . .

Imagine Beardmatching someone elses beard, saving a profile and then just running that lollipop across your face for a perfect length beard with custom sculpting. And if you get a base hair trimmer without that thing you attatch at the end you can make beard IRs to compensate. "That's the cleanest beard I ever saw. Lowing the bottom end."

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, zolko60 said:

What a nice number of that update! 2 dot 8. Eight is the lucky number in China. I knew it wolud be greater than 2.7 but I did not expect exactly 2.8.
... and that promise of free pet pony for SKU core metal players! Yummy!

I bet you can't wait for the actual Version 8. And Version 8.8 soon after. :-)

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

I'm not sure what rumor you're talking about. I only quoted what Digital Igloo said and there was no more info other than it's coming next year. I've seen nothing else. DI wouldn't say it if it was merely a rumor. Lot's of what people hope is being posted over there in TGP. But no rumors to be disproven. Not yet anyway.

Dang, dude.  There's more out there than you, yo ;)

Wasn't talking about you.  I'm talking about the six pages of guesses, debates, requests, prophecies, and general silliness over on TGP.  

1 hour ago, feffa86 said:

It is really not just blind guessing.

This is a system-wide optimization pass to prepare for the next big thing. I do not agree that it is blind guessing. Guessing what card out of the 52 you are thinking about would be. Assuming what the exact feature the next patch has will be would also be a blind guess. But assuming that a large operational software restructuring is meant to prepare for a large software feature(s) is a given. Frank from Line 6 also specifically said in the thread that 2.80 was cool, but that 2019 will be big. And that this operational update enables a lot of GUI stuff like meters. He ALSO said that another thing this does is to make it easier to put out future updates)(plural). What do you make of those statements? Another stomp and a new flanger? We're getting something more than a few amp models. I don't merely just think that any more than I just think that my science book was right that the sun is in fact a star. I haven't actually been to the sun either. Maybe it's all voodoo. 

Again, this was NOT about optimization.  As Digital Igloo pointed out and has been talked about several times this is about getting a consistent Helix Core between all platforms.  From the end user's perspective that's exciting in one regard which is that there will be fewer impediments to developing new features in the future since they won't have to be individually coded to each different platform.  That means a greater likelihood in the future of faster development of new features due to less overall platform coding time.  There will certainly be some interesting new features in 2.80, but if you want to build up some excitement then keep your eyes focused on 3.0.  That will be a major revision.  The last major revision of 2.0 included a new feature called "snapshots"...and you can see what that meant for everyone.  THAT will be something to get excited about....

35 minutes ago, DunedinDragon said:

Again, this was NOT about optimization.  As Digital Igloo pointed out and has been talked about several times this is about getting a consistent Helix Core between all platforms.  From the end user's perspective that's exciting in one regard which is that there will be fewer impediments to developing new features in the future since they won't have to be individually coded to each different platform.  That means a greater likelihood in the future of faster development of new features due to less overall platform coding time.  There will certainly be some interesting new features in 2.80, but if you want to build up some excitement then keep your eyes focused on 3.0.  That will be a major revision.  The last major revision of 2.0 included a new feature called "snapshots"...and you can see what that meant for everyone.  THAT will be something to get excited about....

Now why'd you have to go raining on everyone's parade by being a realist? 2.8 is a guaranteed miracle... the first firmware update destined to satisfy 100% of users. It is known...(sorry... binge-watching GoT) ;)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, DunedinDragon said:

Sounds like we're actually in agreement on most points then, however, if there is no optimization, consider this:

"Way too obvious (regarding the meters). Helix Core, however, will improve GUI performance so meters are no longer off the table." 

It says it right there. GUI performance. Allows new features that weren't previously possible on the GUI (visual representation) level. Here's another non-guess: that also, at the veryleast, opens the door for any other visually oriented feature you can think of. Isn't a performance improvement per definition an optimization? Sure, they could go out of business before we see another patch and the earth could get hit by a meteor, but assuming the status quo they have confirmed meters, more amps, and more future updates. I guess the only reason I'm replying is to point to the fact I didn't actually make any specific guesses that weren't rightfully inferred from the posts they made. 

5 hours ago, feffa86 said:

Sounds like we're actually in agreement on most points then, however, if there is no optimization, consider this:

"Way too obvious (regarding the meters). Helix Core, however, will improve GUI performance so meters are no longer off the table." 

It says it right there. GUI performance. Allows new features that weren't previously possible on the GUI (visual representation) level. Here's another non-guess: that also, at the veryleast, opens the door for any other visually oriented feature you can think of. Isn't a performance improvement per definition an optimization? Sure, they could go out of business before we see another patch and the earth could get hit by a meteor, but assuming the status quo they have confirmed meters, more amps, and more future updates. I guess the only reason I'm replying is to point to the fact I didn't actually make any specific guesses that weren't rightfully inferred from the posts they made. 

I guess this all comes down to one's definition of optimization.  To me optimization is about improving core functionality such as modeling performance and DSP usage which applies to all platforms, but I can see where it could be applied to GUI performance enhancements.  The rest of the post goes on to warn against getting expectations too high as they'd just finished the new amps and Helix core..meaning there's very little time left between now and NAMM to code and test too much in the way of GUI related features.  This is why he was non committal when it came to meters (no longer off the table) actually being in THIS release.  Meters may be there for all we know, but we're at the end of the year and they've got to lock down features very soon in order to complete coding and testing before NAMM.  I'm just being cautious about expectations is all.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PiFromBRC said:

Dang, dude.  There's more out there than you, yo ;)

Wasn't talking about you.  I'm talking about the six pages of guesses, debates, requests, prophecies, and general silliness over on TGP.  

I didn't think you were specifically talking about me, it was about the TGP thread and when I posted my response to you, guesses and prophecies were not part of that conversation (that could have changed by now). Certainly not rumors which was what your first post declared. At that time there were no rumors about anything in that thread. Nor guesses or prophecies for that matter. Lots of debates, requests and yes, general silliness, but NO rumors which is what my post (and I thought yours given the words you chose to use) was specifically referring to. I was just pointing out that particular inaccuracy. No more, no less.

(I just looked at the thread. Still no rumors, guesses or prophecies. In fact, it's kind of turned into a how to handle IR's debate.)

• Like 1