Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.8 is confirmed. No release date. Not until after NAMM Jan 24-27

brue58ski

55 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

Every ice cream shop I'm aware of, has more flavors than those three. There's a reason for that. And I've never heard any "regrets" in any of them. Everyone seems to be happy.

Um, Dairy Queen and any number of soft-serve joints have done very good business only offering two flavors - chocolate and vanilla... :-)

9 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Um, Dairy Queen and any number of soft-serve joints have done very good business only offering two flavors - chocolate and vanilla... :-)

Um, Dairy Queen doesn't just serve ice cream, they serve many different kinds of things and other variationss of ice cream service, Peanut Buster Parfaits, all kinds of blizzards, various flavors of Dilly bars as well as hamburgers, chicken strips, french fries, etc. The one soft serve ice cream shop that only sells ice cream I'm aware of is proud to have 36 flavors. I was referring to purely ice cream shops. If that's all your selling, you have to have some variety. Chocolate and Vanilla aren't gonig to cut it on their own.

7 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

What? You don't like ice cream? And why are you hanging out in a meaningless thread anyway? Why would you put yourself through that? Unless you just like complaining.

You're right. I'm leaving now (-ish).

3 hours ago, brue58ski said:

I would say the idea is not so much an expectation that everyone would fervently use every single amp in there, but to sell the most, you need to provide the most options.

As an example, one guy may just need a Hiwatt and a Vox. Another a Fender and a Marshall. Using your logic, the premise that you shouldn't have 4 amps because they each only use two doesn't really work. Now just extrapolate that out. I may only use, let's say 5, or even 20, amps of the 200, but I'll bet they won't be the same 5 or 20 that other people use. Ya gotta provide as many "flavors" as you can, in order to satisfy as many customers as possible. Thereby making everyone happy. If Fractal had the 200 amps but didn't provide the 4 or 5 you want to use among them, would you still get it?

The 200 amp list really only consists of about 20-30 sounds (if that), though. Just 4-5 variations/tone stacks of Vox/Marshall/Mesa/Fender-type sounds. I guess tone chasing is a fun hobby for some people though. I prefer to find something I like and play shows and make music instead of figuring out which of the 80+ high gain amps is going to get the exact perfect flavor of "British" distortion. There's nothing wrong with all the options, but from my experience/perspective, the dedication to minutia required to sort out the differences or even find a reason to sort out the differences is more of a time sink than anything useful.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

There's nothing wrong with all the options, but from my experience/perspective, the dedication to minutia required to sort out the differences or even find a reason to sort out the differences is more of a time sink than anything useful.  

Yup... those who want to spend all day measuring $hit with an oscilloscope, and making graphs and pie charts to categorize minute qualitative differences  (which are wholly subjective anyway), are free to tweak to their heart's content. Just don't be surprised if this great quest keeps leading to the "Land Of Meh"...;)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gunpointmetal said:

The 200 amp list really only consists of about 20-30 sounds (if that), though. Just 4-5 variations/tone stacks of Vox/Marshall/Mesa/Fender-type sounds. I guess tone chasing is a fun hobby for some people though. I prefer to find something I like and play shows and make music instead of figuring out which of the 80+ high gain amps is going to get the exact perfect flavor of "British" distortion. There's nothing wrong with all the options, but from my experience/perspective, the dedication to minutia required to sort out the differences or even find a reason to sort out the differences is more of a time sink than anything useful.  

I like to find stuff I like and I do play shows and make music. I also like to try new things, including amps. I would submit that the 20-30 sounds you hear is an opinion. I hear more subtlety in the amps. I find it provides me with a very large sonic palette. More flavors if you will. Both perspectives are legitimate and valid. Doing either isn't a character flaw nor is my method just a "hobby" as you implied. Just as I could imply that you just don't have the subtlety my ears do and have a limited ability to hear such a large sonic palette compared to me. But I would never do that! :-).  (I am just kidding here). But the great thing is that both of our thoughts/methods are addressed with the amp selection the Helix has and will continue to expand. That's a good thing I think. You get the few amps you want, I get the large sonic pallette I want. Win, win.

Wandering outside the scope of Helix's amp measure, and staying there at the same time, I'm curious to know why many people find it difficult to be satisfied with what's currently right in front of them, to a rational degree?

3 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Yup... those who want to spend all day measuring $hit with an oscilloscope, and making graphs and pie charts to categorize minute qualitative differences (most which are wholly subjective anyway), are free to tweak to their heart's content. Just don't be surprised if this great quest keeps leading to the "Land Of Meh"...;)

I'm not sure what great quest you are referring to. I just like trying new things. And have had much enjoyment doing so. One man's Land of Meh is another man's fun place. I have no oscilloscope, graphs or pie charts either. Just my ears. So all of your characterizations are incorrect and I'm pretty sure were intended to be at the least, a little insulting. And gee thanks for the permission to tweak. You're so kind. I was waiting for you to let me.

6 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

You get the few amps you want, I get the large sonic pallette I want. Win, win.

That's pretty much what I'm saying. There's nothing wrong with tone-chasing, it's just not how I want to spend my time. I've never been one to care much about that 0.05% of a difference. And your ears are probably better than mine, lol. I'm usually mostly worried about remembering which notes to play!

3 minutes ago, duncann said:

Wandering outside the scope of Helix's amp measure, and staying there at the same time, I'm curious to know why many people find it difficult to be satisfied with what's currently right in front of them, to a rational degree?

I don't really think its a matter of satisfaction, more FOMO (fear of missing out) and that some people really can tell and do care about that 0.05% of a difference. Some people get to use/try out a new amp and they go nuts seeing what it CAN do, whereas I immediately dial it in to sound like me, instead of exploring the options available. 

6 minutes ago, duncann said:

Conditioning. A disposable economy is only sustainable if the average consumer is chronically dissatisfied with the things they own...

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, duncann said:

For me personally I am very satisfied with what's in front of me right now. I just find it odd that there are people that don't want more choice if it's there. Or at least that there are people that think that other people shouldn't want to have so much choice. Where does that attitude come from? If you're getting what you want, why would you want others not to? I mean what's with the attitude that if you like to have that much choice, that somehow it is a character flaw of some kind. Or that this must just be some kind of hobby if you like all that choice. And surely, by wanting all that choice, you don't actually have to to play or make music. I don't get that. It's amazing to me how much people will ascertain about other people with the barest of information. And how wrong they can be. Some people just have to berate others choices. It makes them feel good I guess.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, brue58ski said:

What else should they invest their time in then? I know they are working on many other things as well. It's not just amps. That just happens to be one of the things they are investing in. And let's not forget their main thing is amp simulation. Shouldn't they spend some time on that? That's what they do. So Line 6 the amp sim company should stop developing more amp sims and focus on what? The tuner?!?! (That was a joke by the way). And in what way should they differentiate themselves from their competitors that they haven't already done so? What feature set would be better? What is it Line 6, the amp sim company, should work on instead of amp sims? Someone there should, shouldn't they? And I've never gotten the impression that Line 6 was trying to match anyone's features. They do try to match the features that people request, which often includes features on other products. But their stated focus is on what their customers want and not what other companies do.  I guess they could be lying.

Amp modeling is at the core of Line 6's proficiencies, I'd agree, but I don't think it's what they spend most of their time and resources on. Just judging by their personnel, they only have a few people doing the actual sound design and modeling work. Part of it is that there's simply a limited talent pool to draw from. You can't just put an ad up on Indeed and find a new sound designer in a few weeks.

I think Line 6 is always going to juggle the customers' expectations and desires with their own vision and limitations for a product. Deciding which amp models and effects to add is probably quite difficult because it's always going to please some people and not others. Personally, I don't really care that much if they add more amp models, although there are a few I'd like to see. I'd like a Fender Princeton and a Two Rock, for example. But I can actually get pretty darn close to the sounds I'd create with those right now. Creativity is what you do with limited options, time, and resources, not necessarily what you do when you have virtually unlimited choices. A huge part of the creative process if forcing yourself to make a decision and stick with it, actually.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

I mean what's with the attitude that if you like to have that much choice, that somehow it is a character flaw of some kind. Or that this must just be some kind of hobby if you like all that choice. And surely, by wanting all that choice, you don't actually have to to play or make music. I don't get that. It's amazing to me how much people will ascertain about other people with the barest of information. And how wrong they can be. Some people just have to berate others choices. It makes them feel good I guess.

It's easy (for me especially) to forget that not everyone is as, uh, tightly scheduled, maybe? I have maybe an hour a day, two-three if I'm lucky where I can play guitar on non-rehearsal/show days and if I don't spend that time working on technique, or nailing down parts of new songs, I feel like I'm doing something wrong. An extra 15 minutes fiddling with amp/cab settings when nothing sounds wrong or bad and I'd be kicking my own lollipop about it. If the gear inspires you, use it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

Um, Dairy Queen doesn't just serve ice cream, they serve many different kinds of things and other variationss of ice cream service, Peanut Buster Parfaits, all kinds of blizzards, various flavors of Dilly bars as well as hamburgers, chicken strips, french fries, etc. The one soft serve ice cream shop that only sells ice cream I'm aware of is proud to have 36 flavors. I was referring to purely ice cream shops. If that's all your selling, you have to have some variety. Chocolate and Vanilla aren't gonig to cut it on their own.

It just shows what you can do with a limited pallet of basic ingredients... :- )

People like variety, that's for sure, and I'm not even arguing they're wrong for it. All I'm saying, I guess, is that sometimes there's more of an illusion of variety than actual variety. If you have 50 amp models that sound relatively similar to each other, that's not really variety - it's marketing.

2 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

For me personally I am very satisfied with what's in front of me right now. I just find it odd that there are people that don't want more choice if it's there. Or at least that there are people that think that other people shouldn't want to have so much choice. Where does that attitude come from? If you're getting what you want, why would you want others not to? I mean what's with the attitude that if you like to have that much choice, that somehow it is a character flaw of some kind. Or that this must just be some kind of hobby if you like all that choice. And surely, by wanting all that choice, you don't actually have to to play or make music. I don't get that. It's amazing to me how much people will ascertain about other people with the barest of information. And how wrong they can be. Some people just have to berate others choices. It makes them feel good I guess.

Not against having more amps or choices, if a particular amp actually adds something unique. If it's an amp that's more or less just a variation of something already there, it wastes development resources that could be spent more effectively on something else. There's already too much repetition for amps in Helix. A choice in name only isn't really a choice, just noise.

4 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Creativity is what you do with limited options, time, and resources, not necessarily what you do when you have virtually unlimited choices. A huge part of the creative process if forcing yourself to make a decision and stick with it, actually.

That's another that that is easy for me to forget about. Everyone's idea of enjoying all this gear is different. Some people really love playing through classic songs and dialing in the tones as exact as possible and never really worry about "creativity" and some people would never enjoy the instrument if they weren't actively creating something new (to them, anyways).  Some people get to a point with their skill level where they can do anything they want, and that frees them up to explore other things surrounding the instrument, some people obsess over constantly evolving or adding new techniques and they're going to spend more time focused on the frets instead of the gear, or like me, they're mediocre players but can't stop writing music, so demoing, preparing for live play, running multiple creative projects takes up more headspace than focusing on micro-aspects of tone. It's all good, and its all different.

• Like 1

I have strongly felt, for many years now, that guitar playing was very comparable to ice cream, with your guitar being the spoon, the amp being the flavor of ice cream, and your pedals being additional ingredients like Reese's pieces, Oreo cookie bits, and gummy worms. My friends and family laughed me to scorn.

I've found a home here.

On a serious note - some people really DO like drowning in choice. That's what they like. Fractal appeals to that crowd, but it wouldn't make sense for Line 6 to complete on Fractal's turf. It's kind of niche group.  I am confidant L6 fans want more releases over time, but I don't think most of us demand an avalanche or we wouldn't be hanging out with the Helix brand.

1 minute ago, gunpointmetal said:

That's another that that is easy for me to forget about. Everyone's idea of enjoying all this gear is different. Some people really love playing through classic songs and dialing in the tones as exact as possible and never really worry about "creativity" and some people would never enjoy the instrument if they weren't actively creating something new (to them, anyways).  Some people get to a point with their skill level where they can do anything they want, and that frees them up to explore other things surrounding the instrument, some people obsess over constantly evolving or adding new techniques and they're going to spend more time focused on the frets instead of the gear, or like me, they're mediocre players but can't stop writing music, so demoing, preparing for live play, running multiple creative projects takes up more headspace than focusing on micro-aspects of tone. It's all good, and its all different.

I mean, I do get the obsession part, really. I've done that while mixing. I got some new drum plug-ins recently, and I started thinking, "man, I bet some of my old mixes with this stuff", so I spent a few hours fiddling and changing stuff. I did a new mixdown and master, and then after a few days, I compared the new mix to the original. The original still sounded better by almost every measure... So I think forcing yourself to just stop trying to obtain perfection is one of the hardest lessons to learn. At least for me it has been. Although, I've generally never been that way in regards to guitar tone. It's always been with the mixing and editing aspect, for me.

wow, this kind of reply wasn't expected.

"I sold my AXE FX II for helix. You know how many amps I used for my metal patches? One. 

Now I only use HBE with the Helix :D"

Well... I consider that just plain crazy and stupid. If you needed the money... well... But to me that`d be a no-no. 

Read my full story. Axe Fx suffers from too many options, it just got my tone killed. I don't mind if you keep one in your bedroom, good for you.

"I believe more 4x12 cabs would be much more welcomed feature (also added to ideascale :D)."

You can always download 4x12 cabs in IR packs for free... There are many Torrents available in cyberspace land with every cab and microphone combined you can possibly imagine.

Indeed. IR's can be downloaded but the helixs IR manager is rubbish and the built in cabs have the options to change the mics on the fly, the distance and other options. Try that and the different placements with your 2568 ownhammer IR's. Also, the cabinet gives the character to your tone, not the amp.

"If Frederik Thordendal can play with his eight string on a Marshall Plexi, why can't we?"

Doesn`t he have a custom amp model in the Axe FX II which came when he asked Cliff to retrieve the old Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier from the Axe Standard?. Anyways... who cares what Thordendal does with his tone? 

Frederik is one of the kind musician. Does not matter what kind of amp he plays, it will always sound awesome. Compared to most of the metal players, who always want an upgrade on the amp list, thinking that might have finally a positive effect on his tone, that's why I took him as an example. I know, because I suffered from this as well.

Adding more and more amps won't make us better players, it will just raise the level of confusion of the people who are switching from analog to digital."

Yes indeed, it won`t make us better players. But it will at least give back a lot of the amps we lost ever since the POD X3 got outdated. Diezels, Bogners, Soldanos.

And bring a couple new ones. Randalls are my hope. (Satan, RG 100, Warhead). Wouldn´t mind losing a month for a Krankenstein.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not speaking against addig the good old classics or adding anything new to helix. I'm speaking against the common misconception that everybody thinks when it comes to new gear. Also, each of us has it's own priorities. For me, much more advanced settings would be more welcomed than limited new options.

51 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

It's easy (for me especially) to forget that not everyone is as, uh, tightly scheduled, maybe? I have maybe an hour a day, two-three if I'm lucky where I can play guitar on non-rehearsal/show days and if I don't spend that time working on technique, or nailing down parts of new songs, I feel like I'm doing something wrong. An extra 15 minutes fiddling with amp/cab settings when nothing sounds wrong or bad and I'd be kicking my own lollipop about it. If the gear inspires you, use it.

In my case I am of limited time as well. Not like what you're describing but I do have to work outside of music. For me I would take the time I have left after work, one day during the week, to play with "my new amp". I've been doing that for awhile so I got through all of the amps awhile ago. When new amps come, I do the same thing. I'm not just sitting there fervently tweaking every amp all the time everyday. Just once a week at the most, often skipping a week. It's kind of my playtime (that and playing along with Permanent Waves :D). It's not like a huge discipline or anything where I have to do it. I choose to and like to do it every now and then. Not chasing tones I have in my head but discovering what new tones might be there. That's the fun for me. Sounds like you've got a full docket. Very nice. I don't know a lot of musicians in my area that can make a living playing full time. They all have to work. I'm talking very good players. I'm just a hack compared to these guys and even they can't find steady work. It's a shame really. Glad to hear someone is able to do it. I do know about making a good tone worse by fiddling. And then of course never getting it back exactly the way you had before. Thank goodness I can save my settings now.

2 hours ago, brue58ski said:

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

Or at least that there are people that think that other people shouldn't want to have so much choice. Where does that attitude come from? If you're getting what you want, why would you want others not to? I mean what's with the attitude that if you like to have that much choice, that somehow it is a character flaw of some kind. 

If I offended you, I apologize... but I honestly don't know why you seem to be taking this so personally. Nobody has said you have a "character flaw"... that would be insane. All this is, is a difference of opinion. Those who don't want to sift through a million options will never "understand" why some do. The converse is equally true... if nothing but limitless options will make you happy, you'll be forever mystified by those of us who think it's a waste, and can be just as thrilled with much less...but at the end of the day, who cares? Nobody's gonna change their mind anyway. 

• Like 2

cruisinon2

those who want to spend all day measuring $hit with an oscilloscope, and making graphs and pie charts to categorize minute qualitative differences  (which are wholly subjective anyway), are free to tweak to their heart's content.

That would be one of your statements that I found, at best, to be a bit condescending. Maybe I'm wrong. And I am not mystified by "those that can make due with much less". I do understand. I get that. I respect that. I'm mystified as to why anyone wouldn't want Line 6 to model more amps. I thought I made that clear.

I wish I was making money doing it! My musical endeavors are basically art projects. But I'm not content to be "another local metal band" and that means that on the nights that nothing is scheduled between either project I'm gonna be programming lights, or building stage scrims, or working with the bassist/drummer on demoing new material, or hustling emails trying to book better shows, etc etc etc as well as practicing playing. Add in full-time work, sometimes part time work, my GF. I spend so much time working on "music stuff" whether its actually music or not, when I would have the time to tweak, I'd rather NOT do music stuff.

5 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

I wish I was making money doing it! My musical endeavors are basically art projects. But I'm not content to be "another local metal band" and that means that on the nights that nothing is scheduled between either project I'm gonna be programming lights, or building stage scrims, or working with the bassist/drummer on demoing new material, or hustling emails trying to book better shows, etc etc etc as well as practicing playing. Add in full-time work, sometimes part time work, my GF. I spend so much time working on "music stuff" whether its actually music or not, when I would have the time to tweak, I'd rather NOT do music stuff.

Oh sorry. I assumed too much. Sounds like a couple people I know. And then to add the GF. She must be one of the good ones. Hard to keep all of that going. Good Luck!!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

cruisinon2

those who want to spend all day measuring $hit with an oscilloscope, and making graphs and pie charts to categorize minute qualitative differences  (which are wholly subjective anyway), are free to tweak to their heart's content.

That would be one of your statements that I found, at best, to be condescending. Maybe I'm wrong. And I am not mystified by "those that can make due with much less". I get that. I respect that. I'm mystified as to why anyone wouldn't want Line 6 to model more amps. I thought I made that clear.

My apologies...

For the record, I don't want, or not want L6 to do anything in particular... aside from bug fixes for things that don't work as advertised, I don't dwell on what the updates may or may not contain. Gear purchases aren't speculative for me. If I wanted to do that, I'd have been a day-trader. I bought what I bought, and I use what's in front of me. If they want to add to it, great... but I honestly don't care one way or the other.

2 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

My apologies...

For the record, I don't want, or not want L6 to do anything in particular... aside from bug fixes for things that don't work as advertised, I don't dwell on what the updates may or may not contain. Gear purchases aren't speculative for me. If I wanted to do that, I'd have been a day-trader. I bought what I bought, and I use what's in front of me. If they want to add to it, great... but I honestly don't care one way or the other.

I agree with all that you said here. Very content with what I have. Love it when they give me more but not necessary.

But I'd be content with just the 5150 III, the most popular amp in metal. They obviously supplemented amps for guys like me with the Line 6 Originals.

Not having the 5150 III for guys like me would be the equivalent of not putting a JCM800 in there for the 80's guys or a Twin Reverb for the Country guys. I understand the lack of empathy, most of the people on here aren't using the tones I'm digging for. Arguing that more options would be useless because it has the particular amps you like, or that the AxFX having 200 different amps is a con is just ridiculous. I'm sure they will, but it'll just be another Fender, Marshall, or an amp that's a competitor for either. I paid $1,000 for a piece of modelling technology. I feel obligated to offer my opinions on these threads in the off chance L6 read these threads. That's a lot of money of someone in their 20s like me. 

Sure there are guys in my genre who use the Helix, but start competing with Fractal in the High gain section and you'll attract a lot of those guys to the L6 side of the fence. 

Having said that I love the Helix, but as of late they have shifted the focus of bettering the Helix and focused on getting the products in more people's hands. Not saying that's a bad approach as a business. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, vonprater said:

Having said that I love the Helix, but as of late they have shifted the focus of bettering the Helix and focused on getting the products in more people's hands. Not saying that's a bad approach as a business. 

They actually haven't shifted their focus that much... It's just that there's a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes at the moment. But, also, the more stuff in the HX sells, the more likely Line 6 is to keep on investing in updating it.

2 minutes ago, phil_m said:

They actually haven't shifted their focus that much... It's just that there's a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes at the moment. But, also, the more stuff in the HX sells, the more likely Line 6 is to keep on investing in updating it.

LT in 2017 and Stomp in 2018. 

This update will be telling for me personally. So their overall focus is still as much devoted to making the Helix better as it never was, it's not way more focused on more streamlined units of an existing product?

33 minutes ago, vonprater said:

LT in 2017 and Stomp in 2018. 

This update will be telling for me personally. So their overall focus is still as much devoted to making the Helix better as it never was, it's not way more focused on more streamlined units of an existing product?

The HX Effects was released in 2018 as well.

From Line 6's perspective, all these products are part of the Helix platform, and they were all planned almost since the Helix was first released, or even before. I have mock-up 3D models of the Stomp that Eric sent me going back to 2015, for instance. They weren't just afterthoughts. There part of a long term plan. The 3.0 update for the Helix is going to be a big deal...

8 minutes ago, phil_m said:

The HX Effects was released in 2018 as well.

From Line 6's perspective, all these products are part of the Helix platform, and they were all planned almost since the Helix was first released, or even before. I have mock-up 3D models of the Stomp that Eric sent me going back to 2015, for instance. They weren't just afterthoughts. There part of a long term plan. The 3.0 update for the Helix is going to be a big deal...

That last sentence. Please don't do that to me man now I'm all excited. What do you mean by "Big Deal"?

1 hour ago, vonprater said:

Not having the 5150 III for guys like me would be the equivalent of not putting a JCM800 in there for the 80's guys or a Twin Reverb for the Country guys. I understand the lack of empathy, most of the people on here aren't using the tones I'm digging for. Arguing that more options would be useless because it has the particular amps you like, or that the AxFX having 200 different amps is a con is just ridiculous.

I have zero interest in high gain amps... anything beyond a JCM 800 is too much fore me. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a Peavey 5150 and an EVH 5150 III in real life or in a modeler.

BUT I couldn't agree more with what you are saying here. I already got my Deluxe... I got my Twin... I got my AC30 (two of them actually), and I got my Plexi. Just because I have everything I love about the amp world doesn't mean you should be deprived of what you really want. If the 5150 III is an iconic amp missing from the Helix, then you have the right to request it, and I hope you get it! 

More choice is not a bad thing... I already ignore 85% of the amps in the Helix.... ignoring 95% is just as easy. If it draws more users, I'm all for it. 

1 hour ago, vonprater said:

Having said that I love the Helix, but as of late they have shifted the focus of bettering the Helix and focused on getting the products in more people's hands.

You should think of HX as a series... the Helix is just one product (the flagship) of that series.

The more successful the series is with a growing and diverse user base, the more they can develop the series... including the Helix.

• Upvote 2