Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.8 is confirmed. No release date. Not until after NAMM Jan 24-27

brue58ski

17 minutes ago, vonprater said:

I don't understand anything besides the new amp models thing. I'm excited about that though and hoping for something more in my ballpark. 

Crossed fingers for a 5150 III or high gain orange 

Not that you asked but, there are 6 different Helix products. Right now, there are differences in the "core" of, I think, two groups of them so before this next upgrade they would have to code things two times to accommodate the differences between them. With the coming update, they won't have to do that anymore. They fixed the "core" so it's the same in everything. And they appear to have made the Helix program itself overall more efficient. So it will be able to do more things. It basically means they won't have to spend as much time "coding" so we get updates sooner. (Oh boy!) and some things that they couldn't do before they are able to do now because they've tweaked it. There were a couple of amps they couldn't do before but because of the tweaking, are able to now. Don't know what amps they are.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2018 at 7:43 PM, Ed_Saxman said:

I would bet on the Polytone miniBrute, I think Digital Igloo was some kind of jazzer before being a tech guru.

polytone-mini-brute.jpg

Seriously ??   POLYTONE BRING IT ON

Sure hope so :) 

But don't recall any mention of jazz in DI interviews. 

Personally - considering he said pet FEATURE not pet MODEL i don't think polytone is it.

A really loud clean amp would be welcome.

Personally the #1 feature I'm missing that would help completely replace the only other piece of gear I'm using now is user customizable scales in the smart harmonizer. Additional polyphony would be perfect but getting 4 voice polypohony in the smart harmonizer is probably never going to happen. My Voicelive products are always probably going to fill that niche.

I debated whether to post this or not. Bottom line, I'd want to know. So here's a quote from Digital Igloo posted today at TGP.

Thanks for that info, otherwise we would have to go elsewhere to get it I guess? Please forgive if I missed it, and I guess DI can post stuff about Helix upgrades/updates where ever he wishes. That said, I'm a bit mystified ( and annoyed) as to why this info was not posted here ?... Then again maybe this isn't the right forum any longer for Helix information like this, or updates and info? Just asking (and I asked over there too why it wasn't mentioned here)... BTW I stay annoyed so don't take it personally but I would like to know why update info on Helix winds up on the Gear Page 1st? ; )

8 hours ago, spikey said:

..... but I would like to know why update info on Helix winds up on the Gear Page 1st? ; )

Possibly because the update info it's pretty meaningless. We already knew that another Helix update is coming sometime. Whether the version  number is 2.8 or something else doesn't matter. The timing and content of the update is still unspecified so all this speculation, while some may find it fun and interesting, is also meaningless.

Here's another piece of update info that you can take to the bank, and I am announcing it here for the first time...... soon after the v2.8 release there will be a v2.8x hot bug fix release!!! I bet it will contain something almost everybody wants!

.... and I know you'r still annoyed but if that's how you choose to feel, well fill your boots!

1 hour ago, zolko60 said:

It is meaningful to me. Nothing will happen until February-March 2019. I can go skiing! ;)
Happy New Year!

You don't seem very committed. What's wrong with skiing with a backpack containing your Helix and a laptop and updating using the wireless connection in the lodge at the mountaintop? You can leave your guitar at home or in the rental chalet and enjoy the update that very evening! :-)

• Haha 1

Possibly because the update info it's pretty meaningless.  if that's how you choose to feel, well fill your boots!

Meaningless? Well, obviously it is for some. If that's how I choose to feel, like its wrong to feel this way? Really? As far as I'm concerned it's not the way "you" should feel about this. Yea, I'm saying you are wrong-headed on this one Silver (if that's indeed the case). If I'm wrong then I wonder If the update itself is meaningless to you as well? My point is, Just because we know Helix will be updated at some point has nothing to do with (or make it meaningless) reporting the information 1st to the Helix Forum that was made to discuss this very information. Why even come here if the information about Helix will be posted elsewhere?

10 hours ago, spikey said:

Meaningless? Well, obviously it is for some. If that's how I choose to feel, like its wrong to feel this way? Really? As far as I'm concerned it's not the way "you" should feel about this. Yea, I'm saying you are wrong-headed on this one Silver (if that's indeed the case). If I'm wrong then I wonder If the update itself is meaningless to you as well? My point is, Just because we know Helix will be updated at some point has nothing to do with (or make it meaningless) reporting the information 1st to the Helix Forum that was made to discuss this very information. Why even come here if the information about Helix will be posted elsewhere?

It was a few days ago that I looked at the thread, but if I remember right it looks like it was never intended as an official notice of an official update.  Someone posted that they wondered when we'd get another update, and it just so happened Digital Igloo replied, probably as an after thought, and said, "Hey, it's actually coming pretty soon here, and here's kind of what we've done . . ."

I still get where you're coming from. Obviously he replied there because he's more active in that forum, and you do kind of wish the official forum had the same amount of activity, but my hunch is this one is scanned less because it's seen as more of a user/technical support forum and their perception is the users do just fine handling most of those issues. Meanwhile, they love music, gear, etc. and there are more interesting general gear conversations over there.

On 12/29/2018 at 10:13 PM, spikey said:

Thanks for that info, otherwise we would have to go elsewhere to get it I guess? Please forgive if I missed it, and I guess DI can post stuff about Helix upgrades/updates where ever he wishes. That said, I'm a bit mystified ( and annoyed) as to why this info was not posted here ?... Then again maybe this isn't the right forum any longer for Helix information like this, or updates and info? Just asking (and I asked over there too why it wasn't mentioned here)... BTW I stay annoyed so don't take it personally but I would like to know why update info on Helix winds up on the Gear Page 1st? ; )

Yeah I agree. There is a bunch of info about the amps and effects used and the backstories about how they were created and useful inside info about the parameters and how to use them over there by the guys that did them. Never seen that here. I went through and compiled a word doc with everything I found over there. I posted it here at the bottom of the thread

Like you I don't understand why it seems to be a better informed place.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, brue58ski said:

Yeah I agree. There is a bunch of info about the amps and effects used and the backstories about how they were created and useful inside info about the parameters and how to use them over there by the guys that did them. Never seen that here. I went through and compiled a word doc with everything I found over there. I posted it here somewhere. Like you I don't understand why it seems to be a better informed place.

Well, that admittedly shoots down my theory two posts above.

Is there a general link to that stuff?  Or a title I should search for?  That would be interesting.

3 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Well, that admittedly shoots down my theory two posts above.

Is there a general link to that stuff?  Or a title I should search for?  That would be interesting.

I found the link and edited my post after you posted. I'll put it here as well. It's at the end of the thread. Had to divide it into two docs. By the way, just about everything in them was from the TGP Helix post which is over 2000 large. I got about 500 posts in before the first "juicy" Helix info showed up.

• Thanks 2

it was never intended as an official notice of an official update.

And it was NOT made official over there either, but it was there and not over here and that's my gripe (that iy should have been here 1st). And according to at least one of the "Experts" here, it a meaningless point I made,  of which I wholeheartedly disagree. Mountain out of a molehill? Maybe,  but I come to this place to read about my Helix product, and that's not meaningless to me.

I still get where you're coming from. Obviously he replied there because he's more active in that forum

I am glad you see my point, but I disagree that the information (official or otherwise) needed to be posted from a Line-6 Employee on a specifically NON- Line-6 Helix forum 1st before this site got that information, busy or not. And then to state that didn't matter anyway because it's meaningless, is just a slap in the face for everyone who owns a Helix and visits this site for information, in my humble opinion. Who knows... Maybe Silver is right. Maybe this is just meaningless to the ones that it should matter to. As always YMMV 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, spikey said:

...And according to at least one of the "Experts" here, it a meaningless point I made,  of which I wholeheartedly disagree. Mountain out of a molehill? Maybe,  but I come to this place to read about my Helix product, and that's not meaningless to me.

I didn't say your point is meaningless. I said the info about the update is pretty meaningless since it lacks info about the timing and content of the update. You asked why the info was provided elsewhere rather than here and I offered a potential reason - perhaps DI didn't consider it very significant or important. We all know an update is coming sometime.

I understand and don't disagree with your point. I just don't think it's worth being so annoyed about. But as you say, that's how you feel and you're certainly entitled to your feelings - there's no right or wrong about that.. Happy New Year!

• Like 2

If you dig back to old threads where DI has dangled update teasers here, you’ll probably start to understand why he doesn’t. It is mostly wailing, moaning and gnashing of teeth as people criticize the functionality of features they’ve not yet seen, gripe about the developers decisions on what new things to include, and go on about how Line6 doesn’t do enough free updates. I wouldn’t post that stuff here either!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

If you dig back to old threads where DI has dangled update teasers here, you’ll probably start to understand why he doesn’t. It is mostly wailing, moaning and gnashing of teeth as people criticize the functionality of features they’ve not yet seen, gripe about the developers decisions on what new things to include, and go on about how Line6 doesn’t do enough free updates. I wouldn’t post that stuff here either!

That's pretty much exactly how the convo goes on TGP, as well.

So, if that happens at both websites (the whining and bickering) then why did D.I. post it over there 1st?

Fine, I'll ask him then.

D.I., care to comment on this? After all, I am asking why you would post Helix information elsewhere "before" you would here 1st? Im not trying to lollipop you (or anyone else) off here. I am NOT trying to get you to STOP posting information, but I am trying to get you to consider this site as "Primary" as far as Helix information is concerned. Is that too much to ask for? As I said earlier, you can post where-ever you choose and It's not that your information isnt appreciated (it IS), but where you decide to post it and who you leave out (specifically us here) is a concern of mine. So I'd like your input. What say you?

On 12/31/2018 at 9:37 PM, spikey said:

D.I., care to comment on this? After all, I am asking why you would post Helix information elsewhere "before" you would here 1st? Im not trying to lollipop you (or anyone else) off here. I am NOT trying to get you to STOP posting information, but I am trying to get you to consider this site as "Primary" as far as Helix information is concerned. Is that too much to ask for? As I said earlier, you can post where-ever you choose and It's not that your information isnt appreciated (it IS), but where you decide to post it and who you leave out (specifically us here) is a concern of mine. So I'd like your input. What say you?

I asked him that question a while ago. I asked here, and I got an answer. I don't remember his exact words but, as I understood, he kinda complained about people getting a bit too intense a bit too often around here.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Inerzia said:

I asked him that question a while ago. I asked here, and I got an answer. I don't remember his exact words but, as I understood, he kinda complained about people getting a bit too intense a bit too often around here.

WTF IS HE TALKING ABOUT?!?!?!?! *?!@#!

• Haha 4

Inertia, D.I. Is the Line6 spokes person for this forum, as well as others I'm assuming since he talks else-where about new things up and coming for Helix there too. He is one of the guys that speaks for the Company in other words. Are you trying to tell me in having a job like that, that  he has issues dealing with the general public being intense?

9 hours ago, spikey said:

Inertia, D.I. Is the Line6 spokes person for this forum, as well as others I'm assuming since he talks else-where about new things up and coming for Helix there too. He is one of the guys that speaks for the Company in other words. Are you trying to tell me in having a job like that, that  he has issues dealing with the general public being intense?

Yeah, except he's not a "spokesman" at all, he's just also a gear nerd who participates in forum discussions. I do agree that if he's going to talk about future developments over on TGP, all of that information should be provided here as well, but he has no obligation to provide any information, so it is what it is. 

On that token, though, I do find it hilarious that a company-run forum that doesn't provide any official support has the forum listed in the "Support" section of the website. Pretty good joke.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, spikey said:

DI has explained it several times... Posting on forums isn't something that part of any Line 6 employee's job description. They do it because they want to, and a good bit of the time, they're doing it outside of normal work hours, including weekends and holidays. I know DI posts not only on TGP, but on a bunch of other forums and Facebook. As to why they don't post here that often, I think a big part of it is that these forums simply don't have much traffic compared to other forums. The huge Helix thread over on TGP has almost 4.5 million views currently. I doubt even if you added up all the views from every thread on this forum that there would be that many.

The main thing is these are user forums more than anything else. Their main purpose is for users to interact with each other. Yes, we get news about updates and such, but they aren't a main communication vehicle for Line 6 right now. There just isn't nearly the use that other forms of social media get nowadays.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, phil_m said:

The main thing is these are user forums more than anything else. Their main purpose is for users to interact with each other. Yes, we get news about updates and such, but they aren't a main communication vehicle for Line 6 right now. There just isn't nearly the use that other forms of social media get nowadays.

I get that, but they should offload it from the "Support" section of the site. Unless its user to user moral support or something. You can't even legitimately ask L6 a question here, and about half of the "experts" (no offense, you are always cordial and helpful when you can be) come off as old guys with too much time and expendable income instead of actual guitar players. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

I get that, but they should offload it from the "Support" section of the site. Unless its user to user moral support or something. You can't even legitimately ask L6 a question here, and about half of the "experts" (no offense, you are always cordial and helpful when you can be) come off as old guys with too much time and expendable income instead of actual guitar players. 

I think the forums are a kind of support. A lot of people ask questions that other users are able to help them with still. There a separate link from the "Technical Support" section, so I think it's OK. I guess Line 6 could be more explicit about what types of issues people should open tickets for and whatnot. But that sort of stuff seems to happen on all manufacturer forums.

As far as the "old guys", I won't comment... I think I'm the youngest one left, and I'm not as young as I used to be... :-) I still play in two bands if that helps.

1 hour ago, gunpointmetal said:

I do find it hilarious that a company-run forum that doesn't provide any official support has the forum listed in the "Support" section of the website. Pretty good joke.

User forums are support, and many company's have them as part of their support network. 

For official support you pick up the phone, or you use a ticket system. Also common of most company's. 

I just looked at the support page... Line 6 is pretty clear in telling the visitors EXACTLY what the forums are for and what to expect when they click on the link.

This is the blurb....

"Explore our forums where tens of thousands of other users talk about Line 6 gear and help each other."

55 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

I can't help but think that only "actual guitar players" would buy a $1500 piece of equipment for guitar playing. Why would someone one who's not an "actual guitar player" buy something like this? And as an old guy I can assure you, there is never too much time. You young whipper snappers will find that out later. ;)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gunpointmetal said:

come off as old guys with too much time and expendable income instead of actual guitar players. 

I bought my HX Stomp to make gourmet rotisserie chicken.

It may surprise you, but I've been VERY disappointed thus far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

... and about half of the "experts" (no offense, you are always cordial and helpful when you can be) come off as old guys with too much time and expendable income instead of actual guitar players. 

Nice to see that ageism exists everywhere. If you're  lucky you'll be old enough to be its target someday.

But you're right - don't ask me for advice about playing metal, especially at gunpoint.

23 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

I should have been more specific.

Blues dentists. 

The same guys who buy a Harley, put it on a trailer to haul it to Sturgis, but consider themselves "bikers".

Eh? What's that you say. Sorry sonny, yer gonna half ta type a little louder. I'm a bit deef ya know. Which explains my Helix purchase. I ain't an actual guitar player, but the guy at the store assured me I'd be one as soon as I got it. 'Course 'cause I'm so old and hard of hearing, I can't tell if I'm any good or not. :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brue58ski said:

Eh? What's that you say. Sorry sonny, yer gonna half ta type a little louder. I'm a bit deef ya know. Which explains my Helix purchase. I ain't an actual guitar player, but the guy at the store assured me I'd be one as soon as I got it. 'Course 'cause I'm so old and hard of hearing, I can't tell if I'm any good or not. :D

my bad...

I SAID I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE SPECIFIC.

BLUES DENTISTS. B L U E S  D E N T I S T S.

LIKE THE GUYS WHO BUY HARLEY DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLES AND HAUL THEM ON A TRAILER TO STURGIS BUT THINK THEY ARE BIKERS.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

my bad...

I SAID I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE SPECIFIC.

BLUES DENTISTS. B L U E S  D E N T I S T S.

LIKE THE GUYS WHO BUY HARLEY DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLES AND HAUL THEM ON A TRAILER TO STURGIS BUT THINK THEY ARE BIKERS.

Much better!!! ;)

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 2:28 PM, brue58ski said:

Not that you asked but, there are 6 different Helix products. Right now, there are differences in the "core" of, I think, two groups of them so before this next upgrade they would have to code things two times to accommodate the differences between them. With the coming update, they won't have to do that anymore. They fixed the "core" so it's the same in everything. And they appear to have made the Helix program itself overall more efficient. So it will be able to do more things. It basically means they won't have to spend as much time "coding" so we get updates sooner. (Oh boy!) and some things that they couldn't do before they are able to do now because they've tweaked it. There were a couple of amps they couldn't do before but because of the tweaking, are able to now. Don't know what amps they are.

That's what I was guessing but wasn't totally sure. I understand it takes a while to develop new amp models, I think they've said a month actually. 

But I would imagine some of the guys who got the Helix on launch are a little disappointed. I would have hoped for more AMP models by now. There really isn't much of anything that is a modern high gain amplifier. I feel like they missed out on that demographic and handed it over to AxFx. I'm a little disappointed to be honest.