Jump to content
brue58ski

Helix 2.8 is confirmed. No release date. Not until after NAMM Jan 24-27

Recommended Posts

On 12/31/2018 at 4:12 PM, brue58ski said:

Yeah I agree. There is a bunch of info about the amps and effects used and the backstories about how they were created and useful inside info about the parameters and how to use them over there by the guys that did them. Never seen that here. I went through and compiled a word doc with everything I found over there. I posted it here at the bottom of the thread

 

Thanks for that Brue58ski. Triffic effort and much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vonprater said:

But I would imagine some of the guys who got the Helix on launch are a little disappointed. I would have hoped for more AMP models by now. There really isn't much of anything that is a modern high gain amplifier. I feel like they missed out on that demographic and handed it over to AxFx. I'm a little disappointed to be honest. 

 

Yet if you're part of the huge Facebook group, you'll see all sorts of guys using the Helix for this genre (modern high gain)...

 

I don't think the goal of the Helix was ever have as many amp models as the Axe FX. There will be more coming for sure, but the Helix isn't going to have over amp models.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, vonprater said:

But I would imagine some of the guys who got the Helix on launch are a little disappointed. I would have hoped for more AMP models by now. There really isn't much of anything that is a modern high gain amplifier. I feel like they missed out on that demographic and handed it over to AxFx. I'm a little disappointed to be honest. 

AFX has like 80 models that all sound almost the same, just to have that many models. There are several L6 original high gain amp models (badonk being a port of the iconic Big Bottom that basically made djent), Modded 2204, HBE, Archon, 5150 (still probably the MOST used metal/core amp)... There are more than enough high gain options in Helix. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, phil_m said:

I think a big part of it is that these forums simply don't have much traffic compared to other forums.

 

Makes sense to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gunpointmetal said:

I should have been more specific.

Blues dentists. 

The same guys who buy a Harley, put it on a trailer to haul it to Sturgis, but consider themselves "bikers". 

 

Well, that isn't me, but then again, when I was a kid I couldn't afford a $1500 piece of kit and would have laughed at anyone who could who also thought they were a bit rock'n'roll ;-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

I should have been more specific.

Blues dentists. 

The same guys who buy a Harley, put it on a trailer to haul it to Sturgis, but consider themselves "bikers".

I've been playing guitar for 55 years. At what point did I stop being a guitarist? I'm not a professional but yes, I consider myself a guitarist. I might even be able to teach you a thing or two, sonny boy. No offense, though. :-)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, gunpointmetal said:

AFX has like 80 models that all sound almost the same, just to have that many models. There are several L6 original high gain amp models (badonk being a port of the iconic Big Bottom that basically made djent), Modded 2204, HBE, Archon, 5150 (still probably the MOST used metal/core amp)... There are more than enough high gain options in Helix. 

 

I'm just going to have to disagree with you respectfully. I had a 5150 before, cranked it and it tightened up and sounded nothing like the amp modeled in the Helix.

 

While the Archon and Badonk are nice, it leaves more to be desired. I wouldn't consider the modded Marshall 2204 to be Modern High Gain.

 

The only Modern High gain amp on there relaesed in the past 10 years is the Archon. No 6505+, 5150 III, Savage, Dark Terror, JVM, Splawn, or Etc. The most used amp in metalcore is the 5150 III and I would be happy as hell with that. The Orange Dark and JVM would be amazing as well. Im not too familiar with the HBE but Ill check it out.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2018 at 10:12 AM, brue58ski said:

Yeah I agree. There is a bunch of info about the amps and effects used and the backstories about how they were created and useful inside info about the parameters and how to use them over there by the guys that did them. Never seen that here. I went through and compiled a word doc with everything I found over there. I posted it here at the bottom of the thread

 



 

Like you I don't understand why it seems to be a better informed place.

These docs are a great help and really appreciate you putting these together. Stuff like this should definitely be posted here in some sort of sticky post

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

Yeah, except he's not a "spokesman" at all, he's just also a gear nerd who participates in forum discussions. I do agree that if he's going to talk about future developments over on TGP, all of that information should be provided here as well, but he has no obligation to provide any information, so it is what it is. 

On that token, though, I do find it hilarious that a company-run forum that doesn't provide any official support has the forum listed in the "Support" section of the website. Pretty good joke.

Well yes he is gun. He works for Line-6, knows about what's in the next patch before it's released, and then reports that info here (and as of late elsewhere as well). He releases information that has been "approved" to be released. Stuff that isn't ready to be released is not discussed, at least by him here. That pretty much makes him a "forum spokesperson" for Line 6, whether or not his choice of distribution of information fits where I think it should happen first, or not. My point in bringing all this up (again), is that I was told here that he does not like saying much here because it's too intense (but doesn't seem to mind running his mouth @ TGP), and so if that's the case and he is indeed a mouthpiece for Line-6 (since he does work for them and answers to them and reports information released by Line-6) then maybe a new line of work is what is really needed here. In other words if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. That said, I don't think for a second anything said here on this forum bothers him at all, any more than posting info about the next Helix patch on another forum before this one. 

 

And to Phil, you are right in that D.I. Doesn't have to say anything (unless his Boss directs him to) here. And I do appreciate what information is released by him for/by Line 6. But this is the official Helix Line 6 forum, is it not? If so, then Helix patch information should be released here first, and it shouldn't matter how much traffic another forum has. In fact, if that info was only released here, we might pick up some of that same crowd .... And if it doesn't matter, then let's just close the place and meet over there then? Or would that be too intense? ; )

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, silverhead said:

I've been playing guitar for 55 years. At what point did I stop being a guitarist? I'm not a professional but yes, I consider myself a guitarist. I might even be able to teach you a thing or two, sonny boy. No offense, though. :-)

I bet you're right, ya old f art. ; )

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, vonprater said:

But I would imagine some of the guys who got the Helix on launch are a little disappointed. I would have hoped for more AMP models by now. There really isn't much of anything that is a modern high gain amplifier. I feel like they missed out on that demographic and handed it over to AxFx. I'm a little disappointed to be honest. 

 

I sold my AXE FX II for helix. You know how many amps I used for my metal patches? One. 

Now I only use HBE with the Helix :D

 

If Frederik Thordendal can play with his eight string on a Marshall Plexi, why can't we? I believe more 4x12 cabs would be much more welcomed feature (also added to ideascale :D). Adding more and more amps won't make us better players, it will just raise the level of confusion of the people who are switching from analog to digital.

 

I don't expect much from the upcoming update, but it would be nice to have advanced options on the delays and verbs like in the axe fx (also added to ideascale) :D

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

 

I sold my AXE FX II for helix. You know how many amps I used for my metal patches? One. 

This was kind of how I was feeling trying the AFX before I decided to stick with L6. Yeah, there's a tone of cool models, but most of them are basically Marshall/Mesa/Peavey Sound with a varying tone stack, and I didn't find anything I didn't think I could do well with the amps, ODs, and EQs in the Helix easy enough. I've never been one to suffer from option paralysis, so it's not like more models would be a problem, but 99% of the guitar sounds people know/want are in there with very little effort already. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gunpointmetal said:

This was kind of how I was feeling trying the AFX before I decided to stick with L6. Yeah, there's a tone of cool models, but most of them are basically Marshall/Mesa/Peavey Sound with a varying tone stack, and I didn't find anything I didn't think I could do well with the amps, ODs, and EQs in the Helix easy enough. I've never been one to suffer from option paralysis, so it's not like more models would be a problem, but 99% of the guitar sounds people know/want are in there with very little effort already. 

 

I dunno...seems we're all conditioned to want more of everything, all the time. But what's enough? I know a guy who owns more than 50 guitars. Most of them don't see daylight.... and I'm not taking about priceless vintage collector's items. They're mostly middle of the road, everyday instruments. There's only so many hours in the day... what's the point? 

 

I've got what, 40+ amps to choose from already?  On a good day, I might use 4 or 5. What the hell would I do with 200 Fractal amps? Maybe it's me...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

I sold my AXE FX II for helix. You know how many amps I used for my metal patches? One. 

Now I only use HBE with the Helix :D

 

If Frederik Thordendal can play with his eight string on a Marshall Plexi, why can't we? 

 

As a country guy I only use the Deluxe Reverb normal channel... and Brent Mason created the majority of his "most famous tracks" using a BF Twin Reverb. 

I can assure you that neither of those matter to my country colleagues nor should I expect it to ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, codamedia said:

 

As a country guy I only use the Deluxe Reverb normal channel... and Brent Mason created the majority of his "most famous tracks" using a BF Twin Reverb. 

I can assure you that neither of those matter to my country colleagues nor should I expect it to ;)

I’m not a country guy, but I likewise get everything I need out of the Deluxe Reverb model. It’s the only amp in my workhorse patches anymore. Helix could have just that amp and I’d be happy, haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

I’m not a country guy, but I likewise get everything I need out of the Deluxe Reverb model. It’s the only amp in my workhorse patches anymore. Helix could have just that amp and I’d be happy, haha!

 

I sometimes wonder if age matters in how the Helix products are perceived. Experiencing my teen years in the nineties, having one good amp you liked was awesome. Two would have been for the rich and famous. Line 6 products have far more amps than I legitimately know what to do with, to say nothing of effects. I have my favorites, but even 75% of the time I'm going with the Vox AC 30. Never could afford a real one, love the fake version. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of free updates and as stated earlier in this thread I get REALLY excited or them - but it's a perk more than a requirement.

 

However, if the guitar world you were born into is the modeling one with 2,000 amps available, maybe that's how you envision it has to be. 

 

I just don't fit that mold.

 

I could eat cheeseburgers and French fries everyday and be reasonably content with my cuisine in life. Maybe a hot and ready pizza to celebrate an anniversary or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

What the hell would I do with 200 Fractal amps? Maybe it's me...

 

I don't see it like that way Cru- and here's why. I have about 40 handpicked profiles in my Kemper "Favorites" that I use on occasion.

 

But for example, Rig-Manager has around 13000 profiles to choose from and directly load into the KPA.

 

So I don't think its necessarily the amount of profiles you use. For me, I think its more the amount you have to choose from. ; )

 

Quote

I could eat cheeseburgers and French fries everyday and be reasonably content with my cuisine in life. Maybe a hot and ready pizza to celebrate an anniversary or something.

Ah to be young again... You can do that Kilrathi until you are around 50 or so. Then your metabolism dies, your pancreas doesn't take care of the blood sugar any longer like it did, you start feeling arthritis more every day and the neuropathy in your feet, well, you get the picture. Pretty soon you are just glad your fingers still work so you can enjoy playing the guitar. Enjoy getting older my Friend lol...  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

 

I sometimes wonder if age matters in how the Helix products are perceived. Experiencing my teen years in the nineties, having one good amp you liked was awesome. Two would have been for the rich and famous. Line 6 products have far more amps than I legitimately know what to do with, to say nothing of effects. I have my favorites, but even 75% of the time I'm going with the Vox AC 30. Never could afford a real one, love the fake version. Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of free updates and as stated earlier in this thread I get REALLY excited or them - but it's a perk more than a requirement.

 

However, if the guitar world you were born into is the modeling one with 2,000 amps available, maybe that's how you envision it has to be. 

 

I just don't fit that mold.

 

 

 

Me neither. I'm a rock guy...

if I had nothing but the Plexi Bright, 2204, and Derailed Ingrid for dirt, and the US Double Norm for sparkly cleans... I'd be perfectly content.

 

I also have absolutely no desire to be in a constant state of reinventing the wheel. If I were to try and spend the time that would be required to audition and and thoroughly fine-tune every amp in there, I'd never play any actual music. There's little enough time as it is, with the rest of life's responsibilities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, spikey said:

 

I don't see it like that way Cru- and here's why. I have about 40 handpicked profiles in my Kemper "Favorites" that I use on occasion.

 

But for example, Rig-Manager has around 13000 profiles to choose from and directly load into the KPA.

 

So I don't think its necessarily the amount of profiles you use. For me, I think its more the amount you have to choose from. ; )

 

See my post above, lol. I simply don't have that kind of time... and even if I did, I wouldn't waste it wading through and auditioning 13,000 of anything. I'd drop dead long before I finished a project, or learned anything new. 

 

My occasional experimentation with Customtone has proven to me, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that 98% of what one encounters out there will be unusable crap anyway. Endless tone-searching through thousands of profiles to find 40 that I'd like enough to use, has all the appeal of getting stabbed in the eye with a pencil. That's a 0.3% return... even a crappy bank pays better interest than that, lol. But as always, ymmv...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

My occasional experimentation with Customtone has proven to me that 98% of what one encounters out there will be unusable crap anyway. 

 

That's mostly true for the profiles in Rig-manager as well Cru, but every now and then there are some real gems in there... But ya gotta get used to them sharpened pencils to find um lol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

  On a good day, I might use 4 or 5. What the hell would I do with 200 Fractal amps? Maybe it's me...

 

I would say the idea is not so much an expectation that everyone would fervently use every single amp in there, but to sell the most, you need to provide the most options.

 

As an example, one guy may just need a Hiwatt and a Vox. Another a Fender and a Marshall. Using your logic, the premise that you shouldn't have 4 amps because they each only use two doesn't really work. Now just extrapolate that out. I may only use, let's say 5, or even 20, amps of the 200, but I'll bet they won't be the same 5 or 20 that other people use. Ya gotta provide as many "flavors" as you can, in order to satisfy as many customers as possible. Thereby making everyone happy. If Fractal had the 200 amps but didn't provide the 4 or 5 you want to use among them, would you still get it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

If Fractal had the 200 amps but didn't provide the 4 or 5 you want to use among them, would you still get it?

 

If it were my only option, then I'd bite the bullet and figure out how to use the available options to my satisfaction... otherwise, I have no intention of paying the exorbitant prices they demand. I also find their whole "invitation" to purchase rather off-putting. If I have money, and you have a product....we swap. The end. Being told "you can have one when we deem you worthy" is a bit elitist for my taste. I'm buying toy...it's a not a kidney transplant.

 

48 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

....but to sell the most, you need to provide the most options.

 

Well L6 seems to be doing OK with the "limited" number of amp models currently offered in Helix. If 5x as many options are truly necessary to remain competitive in the marketplace, then the company is doomed, because they obviously have no intention of catching up to that number. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

 

If Fractal had the 200 amps but didn't provide the 4 or 5 you want to use among them, would you still get it?

 

If there’s a recorded amp tone you want that you can’t finesse out 200 amp models, the 201st model probably isn’t going to get you there either... I think that having too many options makes people overlook the capabilities of any given single model. Really, there’s hardly any way to actually sit down and really understand the differences between that many models. It’s confounded when you consider all the possible IR choices out there. It’s really ironic that guitarists have more choices available to them now then ever, but do many of them end up sounding so similar regardless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, phil_m said:

 

If there’s a recorded amp tone you want that you can’t finesse out 200 amp models, the 201st model probably isn’t going to get you there either... I think that having too many options makes people overlook the capabilities of any given single model. Really, there’s hardly any way to actually sit down and really understand the differences between that many models. It’s confounded when you consider all the possible IR choices out there. It’s really ironic that guitarists have more choices available to them now then ever, but do many of them end up sounding so similar regardless.

 

Amen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

If it were my only option, then I'd probably bite the bullet... otherwise, I have no intention of paying the exorbitant prices they demand. I also find their whole "invitation" to purchase rather off-putting. If I have money, and you have a product....we swap. The end. Being told "you can have one when we deem you worthy"

is a little bit elitist for my taste. I'm buying a toy...it's a not a kidney transplant.

 

 

Well L6 seems to be doing OK with the "limited" number of amp models currently offered in Helix. If 5x as many options are truly necessary to remain competitive in the marketplace, then the company is doomed, because they obviously have no intention of catching up to that number. 

 

Re the first paragraph. Are you referring to Fractal or Line 6. And I don't know what the "invitation" to purchase means. So far, Line 6 isn't asking people to purchase any amps like they have done before. Is that a Fractal thing or are you referring to Line 6's official IR's?  I only used Fractal as an example so I can see why you would have thought I was specifically referring to them. I was thinking of all amp sim creators, Line 6, Digitech, Boss, Amplifire, etc., as far as having more amps. Sorry, I should have made a more generic statement. I'm not sure what the "you can have one when we deem you worthy" refers to. I'm aware of no test or competition I have supposed win to prove my worth to "have one". And have one what? What does that refer to. Perhaps I missed a post of yours.

 

Re the second paragraph. One reason they (Line 6) are doing OK is because they offer a wide variety of amps. If they just offered let's say 1 Vox, 1 Marshall, 1 Fender, and 1 Hiwatt amp, I don't think they would have sold as many Helixes. So I would say that yes, having many options is necessary to remain competitive in the "amp simulation" business. Since the main thing about Line 6 is amp simulation, that would be the thing I would think they would want to provide the most of. Just from a business point of view. I'm not sure what else they should be focusing on more? Should they, Line 6, the amp sim company, stop simulating more amps? And, looking at most of the amp simulation products, the amp sim companies seem to agree, given all of the amp options they provide. I personally use a lot of the different amps. It's fun for me. And I've never understood people who complain about too much choice in this case. If you're getting what you want, why would you care if I get what I want? I mean you don't have to use them. So what's the big deal? I am pretty sure that every amp the Helix provides is used by someone somewhere. So it provides a service for both customers. Those that only want to use a few amps, and those that want to use many amps. I'm rambling a bit but does that make sense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

I'm not sure what the "you can have one when we deem you worthy" refers to. I'm aware of no test or competition I have supposed win to prove my worth to "have one". And have one what? What does that refer to.

 

 

Try and buy a Fractal product. You have to get on a waiting list... eventually, one fine day, your "invitation" (their term, not mine) to purchase arrives. Whoopy! At least that's the way it used to be... perhaps they've since dispensed with that nonsense, fine. But if not, I'll pass on the pomp and circumstance....I don't need to feel "special" when buying gear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

And I've never understood people who complain about too much choice in this case. If you're getting what you want, why would you care if I get what I want? I mean you don't have to use them. So what's the big deal? I am pretty sure that every amp the Helix provides is used by someone somewhere. So it provides a service for both customers. Those that only want to use a few amps, and those that want to use many amps. I'm rambling a bit but does that make sense?

 

Well, there's the opportunity cost... Every hour of R&D a company invests in modeling a new amp is an hour not spent on something else. I do think that there's a law of diminishing returns when it comes to modeling amps. Once you get the major circuits covered, everything else is pretty much a variation of those. I'd personally rather see Line 6 invest resources into things that differentiate it from its competitors, not try to match feature sets of an existing product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, phil_m said:

 

If there’s a recorded amp tone you want that you can’t finesse out 200 amp models, the 201st model probably isn’t going to get you there either... I think that having too many options makes people overlook the capabilities of any given single model. Really, there’s hardly any way to actually sit down and really understand the differences between that many models. It’s confounded when you consider all the possible IR choices out there. It’s really ironic that guitarists have more choices available to them now then ever, but do many of them end up sounding so similar regardless.

 

I don't agree that the 201st model probably won't get me there. There are several amps the Helix provides that I can't get the sound I get from them, from any other amps I've tried. And if you are overlooking the capabilities of any single amp model then that's your problem. You (not you personally) need a little more self discipline. I always tell people that ask, "how do I pick an amp from so many choices" to spend at least a whole day pulling all you can out of one amp. And spend some time with each sound you create from that one amp. Like we used to do when all we could afford was one amp. You have a choice, you can be given a key to a room chock full of amps or the key to a room with only a couple of amps. I think the answer to that choice is obvious. And if you actually do prefer the room with only a couple of amps that's fine. But I don't think you others choices should be limited because of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, brue58ski said:

 

I don't agree that the 201st model probably won't get me there. There are several amps the Helix provides that I can't get the sound I get from them, from any other amps I've tried. And if you are overlooking the capabilities of any single amp model then that's your problem. You (not you personally) need a little more self discipline. I always tell people that ask, "how do I pick an amp from so many choices" to spend at least a whole day pulling all you can out of one amp. And spend some time with each sound you create from that one amp. Like we used to do when all we could afford was one amp. You have a choice, you can be given a key to a room chock full of amps or the key to a room with only a couple of amps. I think the answer to that choice is obvious. And if you actually do prefer the room with only a couple of amps that's fine. But I don't think you others choices should be limited because of that.

 

There's a concept called the "paradox of choice" (and a book of that same title that came out about a decade ago). The basic concept is that the more options someone has to choose from, the greater the chance that they'll regret the choice they actually make. It's human nature. Think of like this. If you go to an ice cream shop that has only vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, you'd probably quickly be able to pick what you want, and you'd be happy with that choice. If you go to one that has 50 flavors, you'd pick one, but then you'd see someone eating some other exotic flavor and you'd think, "man, I should have tried that...". So in some ways, providing people with endless options isn't really helping them. It's actually contributing to more regret further down the road. :-)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Ya gotta provide as many "flavors" as you can, in order to satisfy as many customers as possible.

 

Spot on. I'd rather have 5000 choices I never use than need 3 I don't have...

 

Quote

providing people with endless options isn't really helping them.  It's actually contributing to more regret further down the road. :-)

 

Less is more says the guy with the 3 he needs but doesn't have... ; )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

I've never understood people who complain about too much choice in this case. If you're getting what you want, why would you care if I get what I want? I mean you don't have to use them. So what's the big deal? I am pretty sure that every amp the Helix provides is used by someone somewhere. 

 

I don't. If you're happy, that's swell. Regardless, I won't ever be any less perplexed about some folks' relentless appetite for more. If 40 amp's isn't enough, what's the magic number? And 200 or more, imho, is serious overkill. How long before there ceases to be any discernable difference from one to the next? 

 

Doesn't much matter... this discussion is starting to be as much of a waste as time as sifting through 200 amp models to find "the one". Agree to disagree? 

Edited by cruisinon2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cru my friend, there is no magic number. That's the Key ; )

When you or I decide there should be that's when restrictions are placed instead of options.

I choose options every time. Whether I need them or not.

 

Which is better really? To have and not need, or the other way around?

Without playing the "which is a better box game", Its a simple choice for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, phil_m said:

 

Well, there's the opportunity cost... Every hour of R&D a company invests in modeling a new amp is an hour not spent on something else. I do think that there's a law of diminishing returns when it comes to modeling amps. Once you get the major circuits covered, everything else is pretty much a variation of those. I'd personally rather see Line 6 invest resources into things that differentiate it from its competitors, not try to match feature sets of an existing product.

 

What else should they invest their time in then? I know they are working on many other things as well. It's not just amps. That just happens to be one of the things they are investing in. And let's not forget their main thing is amp simulation. Shouldn't they spend some time on that? That's what they do. So Line 6 the amp sim company should stop developing more amp sims and focus on what? The tuner?!?! (That was a joke by the way). And in what way should they differentiate themselves from their competitors that they haven't already done so? What feature set would be better? What is it Line 6, the amp sim company, should work on instead of amp sims? Someone there should, shouldn't they? And I've never gotten the impression that Line 6 was trying to match anyone's features. They do try to match the features that people request, which often includes features on other products. But their stated focus is on what their customers want and not what other companies do.  I guess they could be lying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, phil_m said:

 

There's a concept called the "paradox of choice" (and a book of that same title that came out about a decade ago). The basic concept is that the more options someone has to choose from, the greater the chance that they'll regret the choice they actually make. It's human nature. Think of like this. If you go to an ice cream shop that has only vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, you'd probably quickly be able to pick what you want, and you'd be happy with that choice. If you go to one that has 50 flavors, you'd pick one, but then you'd see someone eating some other exotic flavor and you'd think, "man, I should have tried that...". So in some ways, providing people with endless options isn't really helping them. It's actually contributing to more regret further down the road. :-)

 

Every ice cream shop I'm aware of, has more flavors than those three. There's a reason for that. And I've never heard any "regrets" in any of them. Everyone seems to be happy.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Doesn't much matter... this discussion is starting to be as much of a waste as time as sifting through 200 amp models to find "the one". Agree to disagree? 

 

Do you mean all this has become "meaningless" to you as well? ; ) LMAO....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/3/2019 at 4:11 AM, funkyou86 said:

 

 

"I sold my AXE FX II for helix. You know how many amps I used for my metal patches? One. 

Now I only use HBE with the Helix :D"

 

Well... I consider that just plain crazy and stupid. If you needed the money... well... But to me that`d be a no-no. 

 

"I believe more 4x12 cabs would be much more welcomed feature (also added to ideascale :D)."

 

You can always download 4x12 cabs in IR packs for free... There are many Torrents available in cyberspace land with every cab and microphone combined you can possibly imagine.

 

"If Frederik Thordendal can play with his eight string on a Marshall Plexi, why can't we?"

 

Doesn`t he have a custom amp model in the Axe FX II which came when he asked Cliff to retrieve the old Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier from the Axe Standard?. Anyways... who cares what Thordendal does with his tone? 

 

"Adding more and more amps won't make us better players, it will just raise the level of confusion of the people who are switching from analog to digital."

 

Yes indeed, it won`t make us better players. But it will at least give back a lot of the amps we lost ever since the POD X3 got outdated. Diezels, Bogners, Soldanos.

And bring a couple new ones. Randalls are my hope. (Satan, RG 100, Warhead). Wouldn´t mind losing a month for a Krankenstein.

 

"I don't expect much from the upcoming update, but it would be nice to have advanced options on the delays and verbs like in the axe fx (also added to ideascale) :D"

 

Well... there are a couple of us who expect much from it specially in the high gain territory where it seems you`ve got everything already covered. Good for you.

A couple more HX reverbs are welcome with flangey, chorusy and wild phasey modulations... Please no more delays... there are a lot in there... and they do their work quite good. 

 

Thing is... Can anyone please explain why have the high gain amps suffered a major stripdown since the POD X3 got outdated and why clean amps not? Isn`t there any recognizable BIAS against the heavy metal guys? In detail: Diezel VH4 and Herbert, Bogner Ecstasy, Soldano X88R (Modern High Gain), Engl Powerball, Cornford Mk 50, Line 6 originals (Lunatic, Spinal Puppet, Smash, etc.) I believe Helix has improved a lot of the quality of the existing amps and effects from former units... but there are a few things which got lost in the way...

Please take no offense in case you`re and old fart, a blues dentist or a mid gain lawyer. I`m just a medical science heavy metal poser who misses the 80s and 90s more than anything...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

But it will at least give back a lot of the amps we lost ever since the POD X3 got outdated. Please take no offense in case you`re and old fart, a blues dentist or a mid gain lawyer. I`m just a medical science heavy metal poser...

 

Old farts don't take offense Sonny Boy, they just outplay ya... ; P

 

All Kidding aside BAmartin, I think you are saying the same, adding is always a better option than subtracting your options. Be it amps, profiles, etc...

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

 

I don't. If you're happy, that's swell. Regardless, I won't ever be any less perplexed about some folks' relentless appetite for more. If 40 amp's isn't enough, what's the magic number? And 200 or more, imho, is serious overkill. How much variation can there be before it stops sounding like a guitar amp?

 

Doesn't much matter... this discussion is starting to be as much of a waste as time as sifting through 200 amp models to find "the one". Agree to disagree? 

 

Agree to disagree? As long as I get my 2,000,000 amps I will. ;) Just kidding, I absolutely agree to disagree. I do like discussing things but it does seem to be a case of diminishing returns. Wait a minute!! Isn't that your reason for less amps?!? Damn. I just proved you right!!! DOH!!!

As far as finding the one. Isn't that what many guitar players who could afford it did when there were no amp sims? Not all of them but there would be no boutique amp market if many didn't. There will always be players who like all of the choices. I would be one of them. Those that don't, don't have to use all of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, you step out for a couple of hours to buy your hearing aids and walker and look what happens - another meaningless discussion. ;-)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, silverhead said:

Wow, you step out for a couple of hours to buy your hearing aids and walker and look what happens - another meaningless discussion. ;-)

 

Meaningless!!!! What do you mean meaningless!!!!! How dare you!! Now about that tuner............  ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×