Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 6 Button Looper - Button Behavior Change?

jdag

I updated to 2.71 the other day, and I THINK that the 6 button looper buttons have been modified.  They don't react as in the past (unless I've been sipping too much egg nog these past few days).

Now, after recording a loop then going over to stomp mode, when you return to the looper the overdub button is no longer ready to accept an overdub.  If you step on it, it starts recording a new loop and you lose your old one.

In the past I would be able to record a loop, change presets, use stomps to change delays/reverbs/overdrive/etc, and then go back to the looper to add a new layer.  What I am finding now is that I have to hit the stop/play button 1st.

Anyone else seeing this???

Yep. Unfortunately that's just how it operates right now. It's a shame because it makes it fairly unusable live. I really hope they change it back. I've had to add an external looper for live performance. (Pigtronix Infinity). I'm not TOO bummed about it as the infinity is a pretty awesome looper, but it would be nice to be able to ditch it and use the built-in looper.

UUGH!  So was this an "upgrade" from 2.7 to 2.71?  I assume that's the case as I just updated to 2.71.  Doesn't this negate the main benefit of the 6 button looper (as compared to the 1 button model)?  Let's hope it is a mistake/oversight.

27 minutes ago, silverhead said:

That sounds like a bug. It's not something I recall being discussed as a desired feature modification. I suggest you open a support ticket to report this officially.

It's not a bug. I contacted support about it. The said that's just how it works now and suggested that I use the 1 switch instead... :-/

Are you saying the original loop is still playing while you go back to Stomp Mode?

This came up a few months ago, and I couldn't repeat the behavior. Although maybe I'm not understanding what people are expecting.

Just now, phil_m said:

Are you saying the original loop is still playing while you go back to Stomp Mode?

I am away, so not in front of my Helix, so cannot be 100% sure this is accurate.  But yes, the loop still plays when I navigate over to stomp more and/or change to a different preset.  However, when I go back to the 6 button looper, the record button is not "ready" for an additional overdub.  And if you click it, it starts a brand new recording, erasing your old one.

The only thing I've found to do is to click the play/stop button, then do an overdub, but it is not as smooth a transition.  You used to be able to just click the overdub again without "risking" your existing loop.

I am (embarrassingly) going to say this was user error.  I was away for the past week, but just used my Helix and the looper is working as it had in the past.  I think maybe I had too much wine on Christmas when trying it last!

Hello. This is what support told me when I contacted them with this EXACT issue:

"Hi, This is unfortunately how the looper currently works. But, a workaround is to use the 1 button looper which can exist on the stomp box panel. Using the 1 Switch Looper: Add a Looper > 1 Switch Looper block to your preset and assign it to a stomp footswitch.(Adding a 1 Switch Looper to HX Effects from Stomp view automatically assigns it to the selected footswitch.) Press the 1 Switch Looper switch. The LED lights red, indicating the loop is recording. Press the 1 Switch Looper switch again. The LED lights green, indicating the loop is playing back. Press the 1 Switch Looper switch again. The LED lights amber, indicating the loop is in overdub mode. Subsequent presses of the switch toggle between play and overdub mode. While the 1 Switch Looper is in play or overdub mode, press and hold the switch for 1 second.The most recent recording is undone. Holding the switch again will redo the recording. On Helix, Helix Rack/Control, and HX Effects, “UNDO” or “REDO” briefly appears on the scribble strip. On Helix LT, “UNDO” or “REDO” briefly appears in Performance view. Quickly double-press the 1 Switch Looper switch.Playback/recording stops and the LED lights white, indicating a loop is in memory. While Looper playback/recording is stopped, press and hold the switch. The recording is deleted and the LED lights dim white. Let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks, Will - Yamaha Guitar Group Support"

Well I don't know what happened to give me the differing behaviors...whether it was my error or not!  But my 6 button looper blocks are now working as they always have.  I had updated from 2.7 to 2.71, which is what I attributed the issue to.  Very mysterious!

It IS a mystery! I have seen both behaviors randomly out of the Helix. Sometimes it does what I want, and sometimes it does what you mention... which led me also to believe that it was a bug. I have seen it on 2.6 and up. I am getting along well with an external looper, and even the one switch looper as support suggested is working for me, so it's a non issue right now. If only we could coax some more recording time out of Line 6 software guys though! I would love a solid 2 minutes or so.

2 minutes ago, JeremiahEdward said:

It IS a mystery! I have seen both behaviors randomly out of the Helix. Sometimes it does what I want, and sometimes it does what you mention... which led me also to believe that it was a bug. I have seen it on 2.6 and up. I am getting along well with an external looper, and even the one switch looper as support suggested is working for me, so it's a non issue right now. If only we could coax some more recording time out of Line 6 software guys though! I would love a solid 2 minutes or so.

Well, it in some ways makes me feel better.  I was so confused initially when seeing it happen, then assumed it was a purposeful change between 2.7 and 2.71.  Although, for the life of me I could not come to grips as to why they would make such a change to essentially make the 6 button looper function similarly to the 1 button looper.  Then it suddenly went back to normal behavior so I wrote it off as if I was "seeing things"!

1 minute ago, jdag said:

Well, it in some ways makes me feel better.  I was so confused initially when seeing it happen, then assumed it was a purposeful change between 2.7 and 2.71.  Although, for the life of me I could not come to grips as to why they would make such a change to essentially make the 6 button looper function similarly to the 1 button looper.  Then it suddenly went back to normal behavior so I wrote it off as if I was "seeing things"!

Yep. Extremely unsure of myself as well... It was an hour or so of:

confiused.gif

Well, I'm not a looper user but I did mentioned this "bug" with the 6 button looper since 2.6 FW upgrade. I didn't reported it because it affected very few people so maybe it was something that could be fixed by installing the FW again.

If L6 said that they changed how the looper works they just made it unusable in a live situation so that's strange. I suppose they wouldn't do that and simply didn't understand bug, maybe...

To me it happened consistently and not randomly when I was trying the loopers with 2.6 and 2.7 FW. And when changing snapshots and presets. I pretty much gave up on the loopers since the 1 button looper also had a small delay when recording and didn't tried them since.

I hope they fix these bugs for all you looper users.

But anyway, I'm not ranting at L6.

They're awesome!

Cheers

It happened to me again last night.  But I have not been able to determine the sequence that causes it.  I do know that it occurred when switching presets, but I don't know other details.  For instance, was it because I switched to a specific preset?  The 1 thing that did occur to me is that the present I switched to used an IR and not a stock cab.  I power cycled the LT and it was fine once rebooted.  I will continue to watch for it, but it is definitely a thing and not my imagination.