Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 and THR10

jsieow002

Hello all,

I am new to guitar effects so apologies for my ignorance.

I have a THR10 and was wondering what ways there are to use w the HXstomp.

Is it possible to use the modelled amp/cabs and just use the THR10 as powered speakers (DIR)? Or do I have to use the THR10 as an amp and HXstomp as effects (FX)?

Also I was reading about speaker vs instrument vs patch cables and TS vs TRS cables and was confused. May I know which cable to connect the HXstomp to the THR10 in FX or DIR modes?

You may use the THR10 either way!

As a Powered Stereo Speaker patch the HX Stomp into the THR10 via the AuxIn. The THR10 would need a 1/8" Stereo TRS cable. The HX Stomp would need a 1/4" Stereo TRS plug if you're going to use the Headphone Out. (My HX Stomp has yet to ship, so I'll defer to those that already have one). Connected this way, all of the THR's Amp selections, Tone Stac, and FX are bypassed and thus have no affect on what is fed to the THR10 via the AuxIn jack. 

If used as an Amp, the THR10 series offers Amp selections and a Flat Selection on the Amp selection knob. You would connect to the THR10 via the Guitar In and the HX Stomp would be used for it's FX. I would probably feed the THR10 from the HX Stomp's Main L/Mono Out via 1/4" TS cable Guitar Cable. I probably would not use the HX Stomp's FX Send as this would consume one of the HX Stomp's Six (6) Blocks for the FX Send (unless the Output Block can be reassigned as is the case with the Helix Floor). Again, my HX Stomp is not yet shipped, so all I can go by is what I know from my Helix Floor. Existing HX Stomp owners, please jump in....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MusicLaw said:

You may use the THR10 either way!

As a Powered Stereo Speaker patch the HX Stomp into the THR10 via the AuxIn. The THR10 would need a 1/8" Stereo TRS cable. The HX Stomp would need a 1/4" Stereo TRS plug if you're going to use the Headphone Out. (My HX Stomp has yet to ship, so I'll defer to those that already have one). Connected this way, all of the THR's Amp selections, Tone Stac, and FX are bypassed and thus have no affect on what is fed to the THR10 via the AuxIn jack. 

If used as an Amp, the THR10 series offers Amp selections and a Flat Selection on the Amp selection knob. You would connect to the THR10 via the Guitar In and the HX Stomp would be used for it's FX. I would probably feed the THR10 from the HX Stomp's Main L/Mono Out via 1/4" TS cable Guitar Cable. I probably would not use the HX Stomp's FX Send as this would consume one of the HX Stomp's Six (6) Blocks for the FX Send (unless the Output Block can be reassigned as is the case with the Helix Floor). Again, my HX Stomp is not yet shipped, so all I can go by is what I know from my Helix Floor. Existing HX Stomp owners, please jump in....

You pretty much covered it. My recommendation would be to set the THR to flat mode and let the Stomp do it all, but if you'd like you could use the Stomp for pre amp effects and the THR for amp and post amp. 

Another thing I've done with amps with no effects loop, but a aux in, is split the Stomp signal so a separate path of wet time based effects goes into auxiliary in (like the Helix, you can specify one of the two output paths to go out the send without the use of an FX block).

Bottom line, the Stomp is very versatile.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jsieow002 said:

Also I was reading about speaker vs instrument vs patch cables and TS vs TRS cables and was confused. May I know which cable to connect the HXstomp to the THR10 in FX or DIR modes?

There's a lot to unpack there, but to answer your direct question, the only cables you will NEED to connect your Stomp to your THR is two standard run of the mill guitar cables. One for the guitar into the Stomp, and one for the Stomp into the THR.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

You pretty much covered it. My recommendation would be to set the THR to flat mode and let the Stomp do it all, but if you'd like you could use the Stomp for pre amp effects and the THR for amp and post amp. 

Another thing I've done with amps with no effects loop, but a aux in, is split the Stomp signal so a separate path of wet time based effects goes into auxiliary in (like the Helix, you can specify one of the two output paths to go out the send without the use of an FX block).

Bottom line, the Stomp is very versatile.

Awesome suggestion to route just the wet feed to the AuxIn! Will give that a try.