GuitarjonSDS

Line 6 should recieve an award....

I feel like Line 6 should recieve an award for creating the best virtual amp for metal in the history of the world.

I'm talking about Badonk of course. :)

Sure, there are other amazing high gain amp models in the Helix platform like the Cali IV lead and others.

However, Badonk is something totally unique ad original since it's not really based on just one amp.

Badonk was based on the old and mighty Big Bottom model from earlier Line 6 platforms and that one was loosely based on a Dual Rectifier and a Rivera Los Lobottom.

The Big Bottom amp was used by quite a few famous artists such as Meshuggah and guys from bands like Periphery etc.

It's a well known amp just as amps like the JCM800 and Fender Twin are in the analog amp world.

I think this amp also deserves to be credited as a world-class and famous amp!

Who here agrees??

A couple of tips about dialing in the Badonk:

-Careful with the Depth (I usually have it set to somewhere in between 0.0 and 0.4-ish). Luckily Line 6 have recently changed the default settings.

-Also be careful with the Bass control, I never set it higher than 5, usually a little lower.

-Don't be afraid to be generous with the presence control to make it as bright or dark as you need it.

-Try it without a boost since it's already pretty tight sounding!

Using these tweaking tips I created this tone, and I really dig how it turned out:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That amp is pretty sick. I love it through a power amp into a good 2x12. Mixes really nice with the Fireball model for live FRFR tones, too!

14 hours ago, gunpointmetal said:

That amp is pretty sick. I love it through a power amp into a good 2x12. Mixes really nice with the Fireball model for live FRFR tones, too!

hmmmm I need to try that mix!!

Hey guys.

Im new to the forum - just jumped into the helix world 3 days ago and bought a LT. So farm Im very happy!

This sounds really great @GuitarjonSDS

On 12/27/2018 at 9:10 PM, gunpointmetal said:

How do you mix those 2 amps together? Could you post a screenshot just from the routing / setup? I would like to build something like that.

I guess that you do not pan it hard left / right, correct? I red something about it to not use a setup like this for live...

Best

Stephan

2 hours ago, stephankay said:

Hey guys.

Im new to the forum - just jumped into the helix world 3 days ago and bought a LT. So farm Im very happy!

This sounds really great @GuitarjonSDS

How do you mix those 2 amps together? Could you post a screenshot just from the routing / setup? I would like to build something like that.

I guess that you do not pan it hard left / right, correct? I red something about it to not use a setup like this for live...

Best

Stephan

I have the signal split after my comp/boost/gate then merged back together right before my IR, then use the mix controls on the merge block to adjust the balance between amp levels. Some amps do have weird issues when mixed like that, but these two seem to be fine as long as I don't max the gain out, which is totally unnecessary with either of those models.

• Upvote 1

On 1/14/2019 at 2:57 PM, gunpointmetal said:

I have the signal split after my comp/boost/gate then merged back together right before my IR, then use the mix controls on the merge block to adjust the balance between amp levels. Some amps do have weird issues when mixed like that, but these two seem to be fine as long as I don't max the gain out, which is totally unnecessary with either of those models.

Thanks. I’ll look into it :)

Definitely agree!

Wanna hear something scary? I occasionally use it for Praise and Worship--it's good for that too!

• Haha 1

I don’t play metal, but that makes me want to play metal. Killer!

• Upvote 1

I feel the same way about the Cartographer.