Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Connecting Expression pedal and switch to HX Stomp

dawg2k5

Hi. New to forum as I am hoping to purchase the HX stomp (my first ever Line6 product) shortly, and am feeling confused over whether my existing expression pedal will work or not with HXS. I hope the folk here can help. My existing exp is the Boss FV-500H. I have read conflicting views on this forum and elsewhere whether it will work or not. Some users say ABSOLUTELY, others say that it doesn't work well being the high impedance version. It's confusing. Also, those that contend that it does work talk about soldering a cable for it. Necessary? or could I just use a TRS-->2 TS  Y insert cable, assuming of course that the 500H works at all.

I know there are a lot of fans of the Mission Helix expression pedal, but I really don't want to spend €169 on an expression pedal. If the 500H doesn't work, are there other pedals that are known to work well, that are nicer on the pocket?

Thanks.

5 hours ago, GingerLefty said:

Hi. New to forum as I am hoping to purchase the HX stomp (my first ever Line6 product) shortly, and am feeling confused over whether my existing expression pedal will work or not with HXS. I hope the folk here can help. My existing exp is the Boss FV-500H. I have read conflicting views on this forum and elsewhere whether it will work or not. Some users say ABSOLUTELY, others say that it doesn't work well being the high impedance version. It's confusing. Also, those that contend that it does work talk about soldering a cable for it. Necessary? or could I just use a TRS-->2 TS  Y insert cable, assuming of course that the 500H works at all.

I know there are a lot of fans of the Mission Helix expression pedal, but I really don't want to spend €169 on an expression pedal. If the 500H doesn't work, are there other pedals that are known to work well, that are nicer on the pocket?

Thanks.

Interesting.  The HX Stomp manual doesn't specify that it needs a special expression pedal.  It only recommends the Mission one because it can actually act as a dual pedal (for wah and volume - thus saving space).

Based on the manual alone, my assumption would be the Boss FV-500H would be no problem at all.  However, generally I trust user reviews more than general manual guidelines as long as those users have actually tried it.  One user, you can chalk it up to user error.  Multiple users you can start to assume there's a problem. Did you read reports of users who've actually tried it failing?  It would be surprising to me because expression pedals are actually pretty simple circuitry and it's hard for me to fathom the Stomp failing with any pedal designed for general use.

To answer your second question, as far as I know any normal expression pedal would be just fine. So if the Boss one failed for some inexplicable reason it would be a unique case, and any other expression pedal you liked should work just fine.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Had a very busy week so only getting to log back in today. I had read specifically from users here that there are notable dead spots and jitter in the sweep when using the Boss. One user had put forward that the low impedance Boss FV-500 works perfectly, but that the H version causes issues. Again, I'm brand new to Helix and Line6, so I'm only regurgitating what I've read from others.

I have also seen numerous requests from users to have a list compiled and stickied of all expression pedals known to work with HX Stomp. This would be very helpful but I don't think it has gained any traction.