Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider Iv 150 Sound 'issues'

Raain

Hey guys,

Not too long ago I've bought myself this amp. As a friend of mine had the older version and to me it sounded like a beast.

Seeing it wasn't that expensive and that I was a beginner guitarist, I thought this to be a good deal.

And it was, at the beginning... Now i'm not too sure anymore...

Guitars:

Epiphone les paul prophecy series (EMG pickups)

Some cheap lollipop fender stratocaster copy

Here's my issue:

Clean is what it's supposed to be. A nice clean tone. When I switch to an overdriven channel - the heavier ones for that matter, high gain, metal, insane...- 

it sounds like there is some sort of wah/tremolo effect on whilest there is infact none of them turned on.

This gets very annoying to say the least... It's not that it's THAT extreme, but it's definately noticable...

I get this on both guitars... With the EMG's i've switched out the batteries to see if that was the case, which it wasnt...

Another thing, now I think of it...

I've borrowed a friends Satchurator a while ago, and for some reason, when plugged in and on clean channel, clean was clean, and with the satchurator on (with gain at the lowest possible level) it sounded SOOO overdriven it was ridiculous...

I have no clue what i'm doing wrong... Am I doing something wrong, is there an issue with my guitar or the amp...?

If anyone got some advice for me, that would be greatly appreciated as i'm on the point of selling this amp...

Are you in manual mode when this happens or are you using preset patches?  Have you tried a factory reset?  Note that this will delete any custom patches you have set up in the User Patches.

To do a factory reset, hold the A button in while turning on the amp power, holding it for about 8 seconds.

Sorry, I can't listen to sound files at work, will try to remember to listen at home this evening and let you know what I think.

I can tell you with certain active EMGs people have had problems with the Spider amps - from what is described, the amp's input circuit gets overdriven by the voltage.  The only solution I have read about is it use a stompbox (any kind that does not have 'true bypass') to condition the signal.

Sorry, I haven't got any converter installed at the moment.

Sound was recorded with my phone ...

But, VLC media player seems to work fine with me.

Anyways, I'm starting to think I need to have my guitar properly tuned...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

What does mean it will not factory reset? Do you get a error message or does it simply not ract? I would try to reinstall the firmware, but most likely this is a case for the service. I guess the s-memory is faulty. If this is the case the reinstallation of the firmware will most likely also fail, but it's a try...

cu

Andreas

• 2 years later...