Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

External Looper with Helix LT

gibsonsj

Very new Helix LT user here.  I know the Helix has a built in looper, but it's functionality seems limited.  I have an external (3rd party) looper that I enjoy using and understand I can put it in an effects loop, which I've done and it works as expected.  As a new user I'm experimenting with the presets getting a feel for what sounds this thing is capable of.  I would like to be able to create a short loop on my external looper and flip through the different presets playing lead licks over the loop.

However, as soon as I change presets the external looper is no longer heard.  I assume this is because the preset I've changed to does not have an effects loop block at the end of the signal chain.  Is that correct?

In order to scroll through the presets experimenting with different sounds played over the external looper must I add an effects loop block to the signal chain of each preset I hope to use?  If so, is there a way to add blocks to all presets, or must this tediously be done hundreds of times?

Lastly, if I'd rather change the presets and have the looped sound (again on the external looper) change with the presets, must each preset then have an effects block added to the beginning of the signal chain.  Again, must I add this to every preset?

4 hours ago, gibsonsj said:

Very new Helix LT user here.  I know the Helix has a built in looper, but it's functionality seems limited.  I have an external (3rd party) looper that I enjoy using and understand I can put it in an effects loop, which I've done and it works as expected.  As a new user I'm experimenting with the presets getting a feel for what sounds this thing is capable of.  I would like to be able to create a short loop on my external looper and flip through the different presets playing lead licks over the loop.

However, as soon as I change presets the external looper is no longer heard.  I assume this is because the preset I've changed to does not have an effects loop block at the end of the signal chain.  Is that correct?

In order to scroll through the presets experimenting with different sounds played over the external looper must I add an effects loop block to the signal chain of each preset I hope to use?  If so, is there a way to add blocks to all presets, or must this tediously be done hundreds of times?

Lastly, if I'd rather change the presets and have the looped sound (again on the external looper) change with the presets, must each preset then have an effects block added to the beginning of the signal chain.  Again, must I add this to every preset?

You have to think of a preset almost like it's own pedal board. If you had your looper on one pedal board, but not another, the board without a looper would never be able to loop anything.  You'd have to pick it up and carry it to the new board. 

The above user does give some good ideas that there's no reason you can't throw it before the Helix or after the Helix in your signal chain, but alas, one thing the Helix can't do is anticipate when and where you want a Looper block or effects loop in a new preset unless you tell it so.

Maybe the Helix 2026. Good question though. 

Edit:  On a side note, if you're not doing it already, I'd recommend doing massive preset changes with the PC program HX edit.  It's honestly pretty fast - comparatively - to drop a looper and FX block where you want it. Not perfect, but pretty fast.