Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv89f Questions

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I intend to buy a JTV89F soon. I have a few questions I couldn't find answered in any of the online manuals, maybe you guys can help me out.

1. I see a Variax Cabled Power Kit for sale at the Line 6 online store. This means I can use modeling on the guitar even if the battery is dead? The guitar is powered by the TRS cable? The TRS cable connects to the regular intrument jack? Can I power the guitar through the TRS cable while outputting the intrumeng signal through the Variax digital cable?

2. How many hours the battery allows you to play continually? Do you recommend an extra battery?

3. What's the string gauge that comes with the guitar? I've seen posts saying that the JTV89F did not need any setup out of the box, but I assume that if I have to change the string set I will need to have a setup. Is the JTV89F setup any different from other guitars?

Thank you very much,

Marcelo

1. I haven't tried it, but my understanding is VDI cable (as opposed to the TRS) can pull power from a POD.

2. Something like 9 hours? 

3. I think I saw somewhere that it comes with 10s.  My guitar could use some setup -- a couple of strings are too low and buzz a bit -- but I have been having too much fun with it to give it up.  Plus, I don't hear the buzz as much on the modeled tones, just when I'm playing with the mags.  Otherwise, no, I don't think the setup is any different than any other guitar with a double-locking trem.

VDI Connected to a POD will power the guitar.  Battery life is much longer than the original VAX 700 and I have had one last through two nights of gigging and not go below the second indicator light. The original Variaxes used the TRS cable which is actually a stereo quarter inch with the provided switching box bertween quarter inch and XLR outputs (I am forgetting what is was called at the moment) and I am not sure the JTV will power that way and I would not try it unless it specifically says so.  If you are that worried about it I would buy a second battery just in case instead and keep it charged.  Even if the models fail for some reason the pickups will still work.

Off the top of my head I can't comment on the stock strings.

• 2 weeks later...