Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tips For Doubling Guitar Sound

mark_shaw

I have a POD HD 500X.  Is it possible to split my guitar signal with one being slightly delayed (~10ms), thus making it sound like two guitars?

thanks.

I believe you will need to have dual amps and set the dealys, use PAN as well. :) 

• Upvote 1

Between the amp and the mixer there is a top line and a bottom line (A and B). Insert a digital delay onto the top line (A) with a delay set to minimum. 20ms.

I set mine up as Time 20ms / FB 1% / Bass / Treble / Mix all at the 12 o'clock position.(all 50%).

Try a chorus in only one of the paths.  Part of a chorus' effect is a slight delay.  Make the mix 100%.  Adjust the other chorus parameters to taste (start by listening to only the chorus' path).   Use the A/B volume and pan for your mix.  Start with a full left & right pan (I know, I know, it's not technically a pan).  You'll probably want to change it but start there for now.  At the very least you have a cool stereo chorus.  At least I think so.  I find I like most of the choruses better in this configuration.  Try this with all the other effects as well.  Effect in one path with mix at 100%.  Start to adjust the effects parameters by listening to the effect path only.  Use A/B volume and pan for mix.  After adjusting the A/B volume and pan, then try backing off on the effect's own mix parameter.  This is an FX technique I haven't seen posted and have been meaning to do so for awhile.  Please don't ask me about what the difference is between using a mono and or stereo effect.  Just try it.   It's way easier to hear than to explain..

Recording two different tracks always sounds fuller imho, if you are talking about studio use. The small timing differences in the takes add up to a rich texture. Just delaying and using chorus etc on a single guitar adds phase effects and just doesn't sound as big. Might be ok for live use

I do this exact thing for live use.  Really makes for a big sound.  It helps when recording too but multiple takes is still better.

After the amp block you'll have Left and Right signal paths.  Place a Delay at 20ms on one of them with mix set on 100% and of course make sure to pan the mixer for full Left and Right too.

Here's an example:

http://www.childrenofthegraveband.com/AngelHvyPre.hbe

• Upvote 2

There should be no need for separate paths or dual amps, unless you want two different sounds from the two amps. The DDL has a mix setting. Just set it at 50% and you have it delayed and undelayed in equal amounts. I would put it after the amp - no need to make the amp work harder, though it might sound good.