Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie Q's on Best Practices for using Amp/Cab and/or Audio Interface

davewieser

Newbie questions on this amazing piece of gear I've had for almost a week.  

Running Helix through my "Cab" and bypassing cab's preamp 

I have a Hughes and Kettner 2x12  Switchblade combo that I'd like to use for jamming/practicing, but want to use Helix preamp/amp modeling for tone coloration.  Need help on proper setup to bypass Hughes and Kettner preamp, as well as any info on proper block or setting configuration within Helix interface.

For Recording:  Can I use Helix as the audio "Input" and my UA Apollo Twin as the "output" for monitoring connected via Yamaha HS8's?

Would prefer to use the Apollo Twin as primary soundcard but running into gain staging/weak input-output volume issues with this setup.  Not sure if it's best to connect the Yamaha's to the Helix XLR outputs to use Helix as the soundcard?  Does anyone use Helix with their existing audio interface and/or is this just pointless?  

Thank you!

1 hour ago, davewieser said:

Newbie questions on this amazing piece of gear I've had for almost a week.  

Running Helix through my "Cab" and bypassing cab's preamp 

I have a Hughes and Kettner 2x12  Switchblade combo that I'd like to use for jamming/practicing, but want to use Helix preamp/amp modeling for tone coloration.  Need help on proper setup to bypass Hughes and Kettner preamp, as well as any info on proper block or setting configuration within Helix interface.

In regards to this goal, the easiest way is to try first just plugging in your Helix directly into the effects return loop. That should bypass the H & K preamp.

In regards to proper block or setting within the Helix, that's either a really complicated answer or really simple depending on your experience.  The simple answer is if you've got a lot of experience with the traditional route (guitars/amps/pedals) then you basically mimic that virtually with the Helix. A simple path might look like this:

Helix Chain:

1. Guitar in to Helix >>>> Compressor Block >>> Distortion Block >>>> Preamp of Choice (no cab - that's the job of your H & K) >>>> Post time based effects blocks >>>> Main Out on Helix into FX Return on H & K.

2. H&K Volume/etc. tuned to taste.

That would be the place I would start with and work from there. The main thing to remember is that the Helix preamp only models, without the cabs, are meant to be used in cases where you already have an existing cab.

If you decide you want to use the H & K preamp then you would turn to a four cable connection and simply not add a preamp, amp, or cab to the Helix signal chain.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davewieser said:

For Recording:  Can I use Helix as the audio "Input" and my UA Apollo Twin as the "output" for monitoring connected via Yamaha HS8's?

Would prefer to use the Apollo Twin as primary soundcard but running into gain staging/weak input-output volume issues with this setup.  Not sure if it's best to connect the Yamaha's to the Helix XLR outputs to use Helix as the soundcard?  Does anyone use Helix with their existing audio interface and/or is this just pointless? 

This will depend on several variables - Mac or PC, what DAW are you running?  Some systems balk at different devices for in/out, as do many DAWs. You'll just have to plug'em in and find out...

Kilrahi, that setup worked perfectly - I also split the path for time based effects and added a high/low EQ post reverb.  The only friction is that you can't set the "Global Output" to the appropriate Send/Return so the output on every preset needs to be changed.  not a huge deal, but thanks again for your help!

• Like 1