Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Standard Setup

stillgrinning

Hi there I am new to the Line 6 only had the Standard for a couple of months and need some help.

Not very happy with the general setup from the  Factory Yamaha I think, expected it to be a bit better.

Fret ends very sharp. This can be remedied.

The Relief and action was very high, now sorted.

The Tremolo is almost hard tailed, just a small amount of downward movement.

My questions are.

Where can I find the measurement's for the setup (neck and tremolo) or do you use a strat setup?

Will adjusting the tremolo affect the under saddle pickups or more to the point affect the built in settings?

Lastly when using the half step and whole step down settings, playing  alongside a guitar tuned down it sounds completely out of tune.

Any help appreciated. 

11 hours ago, stillgrinning said:

Hi there I am new to the Line 6 only had the Standard for a couple of months and need some help.

Not very happy with the general setup from the  Factory Yamaha I think, expected it to be a bit better.

Fret ends very sharp. This can be remedied.

The Relief and action was very high, now sorted.

The Tremolo is almost hard tailed, just a small amount of downward movement.

My questions are.

Where can I find the measurement's for the setup (neck and tremolo) or do you use a strat setup?

Will adjusting the tremolo affect the under saddle pickups or more to the point affect the built in settings?

Lastly when using the half step and whole step down settings, playing  alongside a guitar tuned down it sounds completely out of tune.

Any help appreciated. 

Factory set-up specs are all well and good if the end result happens to be comfortable for you. Set it up however you like it. 

As for the alt tunings, they only change the pitch of what's coming out of the amp...the guitar's physical tuning is unchanged. Thus, if you aren't playing loud enough, you will still hear the guitar acoustically, as well as the amp's output...hence the dissonance. This happens to almost everybody initially, and most don't believe that this is what's going on, but trust me...it's real. It's just the nature of the beast. The alt tunings are a compromise. 

I suggest you to setup the bridge plate parallel to the body, so the bridge will be very smooth and you will be able to setup the intonation very well.

Setting it up non parallel will give you more range when pulling up, but it will also make the setup a little bit harder. A very tight intonation is paramount for good alternate tuning performance.

Ahh thanks for that, the bridge plate is flat on the deck I can just get a .002" feeler gage under it but not all the way.

This is as it came from the factory.

As I said can only get downward movement on the tremolo, this is because there is a chanfer on the forward edge of the bridge plate.

Will probably get my guitar tech to set it up as per my strat. As you said parallel.

Many thanks

Var1.jpg

You can raise the bridge a little bit, while lowering the saddles, and get more range. Any competent guitar tech can perform a good setup on your guitar.

If you take an acoustic model and play the harmonics at the 5th, 7th, and 12th fret, you will be able to identify if the intonation needs adjustment. If the intonation is not correct, you will hear some artifacts under the note.

23 hours ago, stillgrinning said:

Thanks for the answers, I have got it set up as I would like it but surly there is a standard measurement to work from?

Yes, there are always factory specs...but getting anyone official to divulge them has proven futile over the years. The oft- provided (yet thoroughly absurd) reasoning is that no one but officially anointed service techs could possibly do it correctly, and providing that info to the unwashed somehow encourages the inept among us to damage their instruments. I maintain that morons will succeed in doing that regardless, whether specs are made available or not...but I digress.

Bottom line is, they steadfastly refuse to publish factory setup specs...so our only option is common sense and personal preference.