Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Owner's Manual erratum - Let's help Line6!

zolko60

I think this is nice to start new year with some positive projects. What about helping Line6 in correcting User Manual and making Spec Sheet? All this to adress FAQ in future releases and better communication with users. I will use 2.10 OWNER’S MANUAL 90-20-0451 - B (For use with Helix LT Firmware 2.10) but i guess it refers to all Helix hardware family.

Page 7 "18. SENDS/RETURNS 1-2 These 1/4” ins and outs can be used as FX loops for inserting external stompboxes into your tone or as additional inputs and outputs for connecting keyboards, drum machines, mixers, and other gear."
Correction:
18. SENDS/RETURNS 1-2 These 1/4” ins and outs can be used as FX loops for inserting external stompboxes into your tone or as additional inputs and outputs for connecting keyboards, drum machines, mixers, and other gear. Ins are unbalanced TS and outs are TRS impedance balanced. Use TRS cables for SENDS when needed"

Page 7 "21. 1/4” OUT Use unbalanced 1/4" TS cables to connect to your guitar amp, FRFR speaker(s), studio monitors, or other playback system. When using a single amp or speaker, connect only the LEFT/MONO 1/4” jack."
Correction:
"21. 1/4” OUT Use unbalanced 1/4" TS cables to connect to your guitar amp, FRFR speaker(s), studio monitors, or other playback system unbalanced inputs. Use TRS 1/4" cables to connect to balanced inputs. When using a single amp or speaker, connect only the LEFT/MONO 1/4” jack."

Page 31 "4 Trails Trails Off: An external stompbox would be instantly muted when the FX Loop block is bypassed. Trails On: An external delay or reverb stompbox would continue to decay naturally when the FX Loop block is bypassed or a different snapshot is selected."
Correction:
"4 Trails off  : An external stompbox would be instantly muted when the FX Loop block is bypassed. Trails On: An external delay or reverb stompbox would continue to decay naturally when the FX Loop block is bypassed or a different snapshot is selected. Returns are not muted when FX Loop block is bypassed."

Page 58 "(...)However, note that this Apple Class Compliant driver offers strictly 48kHz native sample rate operation. If you prefer to use a different native sample rate (or if your particular DAW application requires it), you can optionally download and install the Line 6 Mac Core Audio driver from line6.com/software. This Line 6 driver offers 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88kHz or 96kHz sample rate operation.
Correction:
"However, note that this Apple Class Compliant driver offers strictly 48kHz native sample rate operation. If you prefer to use a different native sample rate (or if your particular DAW application requires it), you can optionally download and install the Line 6 Mac Core Audio driver from line6.com/software. This Line 6 driver offers 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88kHz or 96kHz sample rate operation in higer latency range required for sample rate conversion"

Page 23 "L6 LINK Output" - this section needs complete rewriting. It is almost useless if one wants to know how to route anything to that output.

Page 6 "12. VOLUME Turn this knob to control the main output and headphones volume."
Correction
"12. VOLUME Turn this knob to control the main output and headphones volume. This is analog attenuator for chosen outputs. See Global Setting Ins/Outs."

I wouldn't call leaving information out of the manual the same as "erratum". It's only in error if it's clearly incorrect. I think Line 6 tries to minimize the length and scope of the manuals just because they're trying to not scare casual users away (those sorts of users far outnumber the hardcore technical-minded guys).

7 hours ago, zolko60 said:

Page 6 "12. VOLUME Turn this knob to control the main output and headphones volume."
Correction
"12. VOLUME Turn this knob to control the main output and headphones volume. This is analog attenuator for chosen outputs. See Global Setting Ins/Outs."

The above is incorrect. The only analog pot on the Floor and Rack is the headphone volume pot, and I'm like 99% certain that the master volume knob on the LT is digital as well. It comes before the final D/A converters (so no analog pots on the LT). This is why leaving the master volume all the way up is a good idea while creating your tones. It means that if you create tones that don't clip the final converters in that scenario, you never have to worry about clipping them.

I tried not to place any scarry information in my erratum. If it is better word, please propose.
If something is incorrect please propose your own version.
Placing digital attenuator before DA converter would significantly make Signal to Noise and dynamic range ratio worse. This is why unity gain for input/ouput pair is full clockwise and volume knob can not add gain to any controlled outputs.
Thank you for your cooperation in the project!

2 minutes ago, zolko60 said:

Placing digital attenuator before DA converter would significantly make Signal to Noise and dynamic range ratio worse. This is why unity gain for input/ouput pair is full clockwise and volume knob can not add gain to any controlled outputs.

This is where the information about the large volume knob comes from: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/22000181/

"The big volume knob for 1/4" and XLR out is digital. Therefor it reduces the volume level in the digital domain before the D->A conversion.
The headphone D->A converter gets an un-attenuated digital signal. The headphone volume level is a stereo analog pot after the D-A conversion."

Thegearpage is not reliable source of information for me. I will take Support Ticket to clarify that .

From Frank Ritchotte Line 6 official message on Helix facebook group:

"(...)2019 is going to be a banner year for the Helix family. Our goal is to get you more tools to make more music and maybe push you to try some things you might not otherwise. I think we will deliver.

Thank you so much and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!"

Are we prepared?

2 minutes ago, zolko60 said:

Thegearpage is not reliable source of information for me. I will take Support Ticket to clarify that .

Ben Adrian is a Line 6 employee... The head sound designer for the Helix, to be exact. It's as reliable as you're going to get.

OK, but I don't know Ben Adrian and I don't care to any private (edit: unofficial public) posts of any company employees on public forums.
What he wrote is scarry for me.

Edited by zolko60
erratum

5 minutes ago, zolko60 said:

OK, but I don't know Ben Adrian and I don't care to any private posts of any company employees on public forums.

Well, anything posted on TGP isn't private as it's a public forum. And while I guess it's true their statements aren't "on the record" in the same way an official Line 6 press release would be, these are people who know the unit in and out because they're the ones who designed it. Eric Klein, aka, Digital Igloo on the TGP, is the Chief Product Design Architect for Yamaha (his title used to be product manager). He's the one that writes the manuals, btw.

Not really sure why you're arguing with me about this...

• 4 months later...

Page 29 "Helix can load and store up to 128 IRs at a time. 48kHz, 16-bit, mono, .WAV type IRs of up to 2,048 samples are natively supported. But the Helix app allows you to import IR .WAV files of different sample rate, bit depth, length and stereo format, and the app will convert these attributes automatically before sending to the Helix hardware."
Correction:
"Helix can load and store up to 128 IRs at a time. 48kHz, 32-bit, mono, .WAV type IRs of up to 2,048 samples are natively supported. But the Helix app allows you to import IR .WAV files of different sample rate, bit depth, length and stereo format, and the app will convert these attributes automatically before sending to the Helix hardware."

And yes: Customer Service confirmed The Volume Knob is digital attenuator before the chosen DA converter.

24 minutes ago, zolko60 said:

Page 29 "Helix can load and store up to 128 IRs at a time. 48kHz, 16-bit, mono, .WAV type IRs of up to 2,048 samples are natively supported. But the Helix app allows you to import IR .WAV files of different sample rate, bit depth, length and stereo format, and the app will convert these attributes automatically before sending to the Helix hardware."
Correction:
"Helix can load and store up to 128 IRs at a time. 48kHz, 32-bit, mono, .WAV type IRs of up to 2,048 samples are natively supported. But the Helix app allows you to import IR .WAV files of different sample rate, bit depth, length and stereo format, and the app will convert these attributes automatically before sending to the Helix hardware."

And yes: Customer Service confirmed The Volume Knob is digital attenuator before the chosen DA converter.

What makes you think the IRs are being converted to 32 bit files?

The 128 limit was just (somewhat) arbitrary. The Helix can actually store many more.

When I download IRs back from Helix they are 32 bit and truncated to 2048 samples. This is why I assume they are stored and used as 32 bit.
I do not propose to change anything about 128 limit unless some future firmware update will change it. Please consider the manual is outdated. It needs some lifting.

You do realize there won't be another manual update until 3.0, right?  Line 6 has long established that manual revision publications will only occur with major firmware releases.  So I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish with this effort except to provide those that come across this thread with some additional information.

• Upvote 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/24/2019 at 8:27 PM, DunedinDragon said:

You do realize there won't be another manual update until 3.0, right?

No, I don't. If something is so outdated and can be better with a little effort, I don't see the point of waiting for 3.0 to update.

Page 52
1 Guitar In Pad "If your guitar or bass has active or really loud pickups, you may want to turn this on. There's really no rule; use what sounds best."

Correction: "If your guitar or bass has active or really loud pickups, you may want to turn this on to prevent A/D converter clipping"

... which only begs the question: "what is A/D converter clipping?". Should that then also be explained in the manual? A technical manual involves lots of decisions about what sort of general knowledge vs. product specific information should be included. Line 6 determines that, not you or me. Your quote from pg 52 of the manual is not incorrect information and hence does not need 'correction'.  It's just a different editorial decision on the part of Line 6.

4 hours ago, zolko60 said:

No, I don't. If something is so outdated and can be better with a little effort, I don't see the point of waiting for 3.0 to update.

It would be one thing if the manual were only being made in English, but it's available in 25 other languages as well. So it's not really just "a little effort". It's a substantial investment of time and resources.

3 minutes ago, phil_m said:

It would be one thing if the manual were only being made in English, but it's available in 25 other languages as well. So it's not really just "a little effort". It's a substantial investment of time and resources.

I think you may be forgetting the fact that in zolko60's mind the whole world only consists of his needs and wants.........  ;)

40 minutes ago, silverhead said:

. which only begs the question: "what is A/D converter clipping?"

OK. I do understand your point.
So why not use "There's really no rule; use what sounds best"  sentences more? You like digital clipping? - Go for it! ;)
If you know what is A/D converter, you know it can be clipped and "not clipping" means "rule". If you don't know, you will probably already know that only rule is "There's really no rule; use what sounds best" but you don't need the manual to tell you. :)
In the first case you can come to the right conclusion that if you are not clipping at input than replacing a pad with volume block is better solution. In the second you will convince other people to your opinion based on your personal experience and feeling.
I make only suggestions about what I would read in the manual. They are based on the threads I read, so maybe I am not the only guy looking for some serious treatment. 

BTW: Low level technical correction would look like that: 
"Guitar In Pad - 5dB pad for the hot sources that could possibly overdrive A/D converter (+11dBu full scale) . Does not change input impedance. Use DAW (DI input) peak metering to make sure it has to be switched on to avoid clipping.

9 minutes ago, phil_m said:

It would be one thing if the manual were only being made in English, but it's available in 25 other languages as well.

I can help in english and polish versions only. :( My russian is not very good.

• 9 months later...

New idea! Let's help Line6 2.0 - Helix wiki manual
The Helix manuals (especially FL , LT) are very outdated. We are told writing a new manual is very substantial investment of time and resources. This is probably written by one author Eric Klein (aka DigitalIgloo) and need to be translated to many languages. This is why that work can be done at major releases firmware updates (X.00).
Useful knowledge as specifications, new DSP blocks decription and their DSP usage, new funcionalities, MIDI manual, that should be in the owners manual, can be found in various places.
Why not help Line6 and cooperate on the Helix wiki manual when all that content can be published, verified by Line6 employees and then edited and PDF published as neeeded?

Just an FYI....

The Helix Native manual has been update to v1.90 (compatible with Helix v2.90). Many of the features and operations are similar if not identical. The Native manual might help with features that have been introduced to Helix since v2.0.

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

Some minor changes were made to the 3.0 manual. Not many, but thank you Digital Igloo.
https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4112b165fb6a3fe41663/application/pdf/Helix 3.0 Owner's Manual - Rev E - English .pdf
What I miss is DSP allocation values and latency of DSP blocks.

Page 9
29. MIDI IN, OUT/THRU Connect Helix to your MIDI gear for sending and receiving program changes, continuous controllers, and other MIDI messages.
Correction:

29. MIDI IN, OUT/THRU Connect Helix to your MIDI gear for sending and receiving program changes, continuous controllers, and other MIDI messages.
Please be aware that THRU operation filters some MIDI data. Please refer to the Helix MIDI Implementation Chart.

Specifications is still missing. That can be helpful:

Greetings for all Line 6 employees for a new year!

• 10 months later...