Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V as Interface for Amp Sims...IT WORKS

Pacemaker1000

Can’t find anything on this so apologies if it’s old news.

i just discovered you can use the Spider V as an iOS interface with all the top amp sims even MobilePod!

Not got it perfect at the moment but it is workIng. Surely wouldn’t be hard for Line 6 to make this happen. Although it would make sonic ports irrelevant..lol

Connected as usual and created a new patch called 'pass through ' with all amps, cabs, effects etc turned off. Don’t forget to set the downloaded Apps to use the microphone.

like said it’s not perfect as I’ve used sims before with a sonic port and sound is slightly out and a bit dull. Managed to improve this by just turning on the equaliser on the amp and upping the treble. 

You can even use the amp effects in conjunction with the sim for on the fly reverb and delay etc.

Download something like Tonebridge free and give it a go. Plus I’d appreciate input in case I’m wasting my time.

edit. iOS definitely sees Spider as an interface correctly. 

• Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

After further investigation I’ve learned to set the 'amp' volume (not master) to max in your amp bypass patch for best results.

also output form iPad headphone socket into headphones or separate amp as although the Sim sound played through the Spider it gets mixed with the amps 'pass through' patch i created.

I am sure Line 6 could relaeas a firmware with a setting to bypass the original tone and make this a great interface as well as a great amp!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 7:31 PM, Pacemaker1000 said:

After further investigation I’ve learned to set the 'amp' volume (not master) to max in your amp bypass patch for best results.

also output form iPad headphone socket into headphones or separate amp as although the Sim sound played through the Spider it gets mixed with the amps 'pass through' patch i created.

I am sure Line 6 could relaeas a firmware with a setting to bypass the original tone and make this a great interface as well as a great amp!

You could always go from Ipad headphone output into the aux in on the back of Spider V. Going through the aux in won't apply any modeling.

Unfortunately the 'original' tone, in this case 'passthrough' will always play through the amp. Inputting the sim tone through either the usb or aux in works but it has the original in the background.

I have bought a pair of active speakers to play the amp sims through which I also use for the Spider when playing along with stereo backing tracks as it sounds more integrated