Jump to content
Smj7

Hx Stomp: Changing FS functions on the fly

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

   Forgive the newb question here.  If I'm playing a gig, sometimes I want the foot switches to change presets 36a 36b 36c etc.  Sometimes I want them to turn blocks on and off inside the presets.

 

   I get how to program the foot switch block bypasses.  I get how to change the view so that I can change presets on the fly.

 

What I can't do is toggle between presets and be able to bypass blocks at the same time without bending down and doing it by hand.  Do I need an external footswitch for this?  Thanks in advance!

 

Sean Meredith-Jones 

www.seanmeredithjones.com 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, you'll need a footswitch.  You have a lot of choices about which switch does what, but generally, I like having the inbuilt HX Stomp switches control the stomp boxes (because they will be color coded making it easier to remember what switches they're attached to) and then have a dual external footswitch attached (via TRS to TS Y cable) with the left footswitch being set to cycle up presets, and the right one set to cycle down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You might want to consider adding a simple midi footswitch,  like the Tech21 MIDI Mouse for switching between presets.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kevin-M said:

You might want to consider adding a simple midi footswitch,  like the Tech21 MIDI Mouse for switching between presets.

 

Yeah, that's a very good idea I hadn't thought of. Particularly if you like using an expression pedal, this way you can do both. OR, you could get a small midi switcher and use it for presets changes then a dual footswitch for snapshot changes (or if the midi controller was large enough BOTH preset and snapshot while using an expression pedal too).

 

The Midi Mouse is relatively cheap: https://www.amazon.com/d/Midi-Controllers/Tech-21-MM1-MIDI-Mouse/B0002E2OEO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1546472998&sr=8-5&keywords=midi+controller+mouse

 

However, if you don't mind slogging through badly written (it's a Chinese company) instructions, for $50 more you can do just about everything conceivable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DQPTZ1F/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A1UM1J239QRPCJ&psc=1

 

Though my favorite (both in number of options, ease of use, and technical support), and the one I'm still saving up for, remains this one:  https://www.morningstarfx.com/store/MC6-MKII-MIDI-Controller-p72756109

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MIDI Mouse is a pretty rudimentary MIDI controller. It only gives you the ability to select presets by sending PC messages. For a little less money, I'd recommend the Disaster Area Designs DMC.micro. It can be used to scroll through presets if you want, but it also has a utility mode that lets you program whatever messages (including CC toggles with specific values) you want to the footswitch (the left footswitch can be assigned a secondary function accessed through a long press).

 

Here's my little Stomp board. I have it set up so the right footswitch toggles between Preset and Snapshot mode. The left footswitch goes to Stomp Mode with a single press and Bypass All with a long press.

5s8Oa18.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies.  I suspected I would need an external controller.  I actually have an old Digitech Fs3x.

 

Stomp is not as live friendly as I'd hoped on its own... was hoping to fit it in my gig bag and go.  Between pedal, cables, power, supply, xtension cord because the ps is quite short +  iPad... it really needs a secondary case or even it's own pedalboard if I need more switching. I already have a pretty slick board w/onboard cab sim which I'll stick with... just requires a bigger case.

 

The stomp will stay on my desk at home for practice and direct recording.  I'm ok w/that!

 

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2019 at 5:51 PM, phil_m said:

The MIDI Mouse is a pretty rudimentary MIDI controller. It only gives you the ability to select presets by sending PC messages. For a little less money, I'd recommend the Disaster Area Designs DMC.micro. It can be used to scroll through presets if you want, but it also has a utility mode that lets you program whatever messages (including CC toggles with specific values) you want to the footswitch (the left footswitch can be assigned a secondary function accessed through a long press).

 

Here's my little Stomp board. I have it set up so the right footswitch toggles between Preset and Snapshot mode. The left footswitch goes to Stomp Mode with a single press and Bypass All with a long press.

5s8Oa18.jpg

 

How much do you like the Plus Pedal? I keep debating getting it. I have a freeze but the Plus SEEMS like a big step up. It's also pricey though. You glad you snagged it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if alternative TRS style foot switches can be used for the HX Stomp? I need another couple of switches but the Mission Engineering TT-2 isn't available in time for when I need it. I have a Digitech FS3X but that doesn't appear to work. 

 

Thanks !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, adalglish said:

Does anyone know if alternative TRS style foot switches can be used for the HX Stomp? I need another couple of switches but the Mission Engineering TT-2 isn't available in time for when I need it. I have a Digitech FS3X but that doesn't appear to work. 

 

Thanks !

 

You don't need to use the Mission Engineering one. In fact, that would not be my first choice as it's rather pricey. 

 

A standard dual TRS footswitch works fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

 

You don't need to use the Mission Engineering one. In fact, that would not be my first choice as it's rather pricey. 

 

A standard dual TRS footswitch works fine. 

 Thanks a lot for your reply, Kilrahi!

 

I'm just struggling to find one that doesn't need power and is as small as the Mission Engineering one. I think i'll be lucky to fit anything bigger that that on my board. Any recommendations ? If it's not too cheeky to take up your time further ! Thanks man 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, adalglish said:

 Thanks a lot for your reply, Kilrahi!

 

I'm just struggling to find one that doesn't need power and is as small as the Mission Engineering one. I think i'll be lucky to fit anything bigger that that on my board. Any recommendations ? If it's not too cheeky to take up your time further ! Thanks man 

 

This one is small and dinky which I really like. Because of it's small size, it really only works well if you are attaching it to a board (or you're going to have it tip over on its own. If you need it to be on its own I'd try something bigger (see the second link for an option there). 

 

A lot of users complained that the FS4 and FS5 were reversed which they didn't like, but if you go into the Stomp's global settings and invert the polarity it will fix that. 

 

https://www.amazon.com/Footswitch-Pedal-Switch-SWITCH-MOSKY/dp/B07GV72FF8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

 

https://www.amazon.com/ammoon-BeatLoop-Footswitch-Switch-Recording/dp/B072WQQLJX/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dual+guitar+footswitch+trs&qid=1564765704&s=gateway&sr=8-3

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

 

This one is small and dinky which I really like. Because of it's small size, it really only works well if you are attaching it to a board (or you're going to have it tip over on its own. If you need it to be on its own I'd try something bigger (see the second link for an option there). 

 

A lot of users complained that the FS4 and FS5 were reversed which they didn't like, but if you go into the Stomp's global settings and invert the polarity it will fix that. 

 

https://www.amazon.com/Footswitch-Pedal-Switch-SWITCH-MOSKY/dp/B07GV72FF8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

 

https://www.amazon.com/ammoon-BeatLoop-Footswitch-Switch-Recording/dp/B072WQQLJX/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dual+guitar+footswitch+trs&qid=1564765704&s=gateway&sr=8-3

 

 

Thank you very much! Very kind of you to take the time to send those through. They both look like they'd do the trick nicely. 

 

Cheers ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...