nuggs_1

Command Center - Midi "Note On" Issue

Hi folks.  New Helix LT user here.  I am having an issue with Command Center specifically configuring midi note on messages, to control the looping functions of my Elektron Octatrack.  I have setup 2 switches in Command Center, both momentary.  The first sends midi note 62 (D4), the second sends midi note 64(E4).  It works, but for some reason one or both switches keep reverting back to midi note C1.  I keep recreating the patch, saving it, but it keeps happening.  Any ideas?  Very frustrating, as if it would just retain my configured notes, it would work perfectly.  The only thing I am not sure of is the capacative touch switches.  Is it possible that I am touching the switch and moving the expression pedal to a value of zero and this is changing the setting?  I have tried to recreate this scenario and can't.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Attach a copy of the preset and I'll try it out.

Not all the snapshots were saved with the proper NOTES. Go into them one by one, change them and SAVE before moving on to the next.

Attaching my fix. Don't know why HX Edit changed the name. Weird! 

Edited by rd2rk
File removed to recover attachment allotment
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Not all the snapshots were saved with the proper NOTES. Go into them one by one, change them and SAVE before moving on to the next.

AC30 FREE WT.hlx

I will try that, thank you.

On 1/2/2019 at 11:21 PM, rd2rk said:

AC30 FREE WT.hlx

Ok so I tried what you said.  Same thing was happening with the preset you attached, so I started a new preset.  Saved every time I modified the 2 switches in midi command center for each snapshot.  I cycle through the 4 snapshots, and test the 2 switch's (switch 10 and 11) settings using capacitive touch so that it displays the settings.  All are fine.  I can cycle through the snapshots, and midi notes D4 and E4 are displayed for switch 10 and 11 exactly as I set them up. and on every preset.  Save preset and test again.  All is fine.  I select a snapshot, and hit switch 11 which sends the midi note to engage my looper.  As soon as I am recording, and start changing snapshots, the settings on either switch changes to midi note C1.  Sometimes it does it on multiple snapshots, could be switch 10 that changes, could be switch 11 sometimes both.  What's worse, those settings are saved in the preset, even if I reboot the Helix without saving.  All I did before taking pic 3 attached was hit switch 11, then change snapshots while moving the expression pedal.  I am no stranger to Midi, I've never seen anything like this.  If anyone has any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated.  One of the reasons I bought a Helix was because of the midi control functionality.  If I can't get this figured out, I will have to return it.  Such a shame because it sounds amazing.

Pic 1.JPG

Pic 2.JPG

Pic 3.JPG

I ran this thru every change I could make with two feet while trying to watch MIDIOX and Command Center at the same time, including switching snapshots while operating the expression pedal (as you described). The only time that the note value changed was when my big clumsy feet hit the value knob accidentally. I switched presets and when I came back all was as it should be. IOW, no matter what I do I can't duplicate your problem. Either:

Your Helix is defective (open a support ticket)

OR

What version are you on? I'm on 2.71, and I vaguely recall this (or a similar) problem having been solved in a recent update.

What version are you on?

• Upvote 1

Really appreciate your help!  Thanks for taking the time to test.  I did open a support ticket tonight, as something is definitely not right. 

23 minutes ago, rd2rk said:

What version are you on?

Upgraded to 2.71 right out of the box last Sunday.  Just to see what would happen, I changed the value to midi CC 100 and 102 on the 2 switches.  That's wonky too.  I cannot switch back and forth between the 2, it locks up and can take 5-6 presses to respond and take up to 20-30 seconds to switch the midi cc's.  That should be instant, so something is clearly off.

Really glad you cannot replicate the issue, I am hoping it's my Helix, as I can swap it out where I purchased it.

Thanks again rd2rk!

Nuggs,

I have exactly the same problem and can tell you (and rd2rk ;) ) that is definitely not finger trouble. I actually reported it on the bug report list last night before seeing your post here:

Sound familiar?

FWIW, I think it is very unlikely to be a hardware issue.

Michael.

6 hours ago, Afterglow-GTB said:

I have exactly the same problem and can tell you (and rd2rk ;) ) that is definitely not finger trouble. I actually reported it on the bug report list last night before seeing your post here:

Neither I, nor anyone else, can troubleshoot a problem if we can't duplicate it. One thing I thought odd was that when I DL'd OP's preset, HX Edit renamed it. I thought possibly wrong FW version or corrupt preset, but OP says he's on 2.71 (like me) and that he tried rebuilding the preset from scratch with the same results.

If L6 resolves the issue for you, PLEASE report back here! I'd love to know what the problem was!

Thanks!

Hi rd2rk, I did a little video of the issue in action and added it to my post on the bugs thread. If you've got a spare minute, can you take a look at it and see if you can replicate the behaviour?

Cheers,

Michael.

39 minutes ago, Afterglow-GTB said:

Hi rd2rk, I did a little video of the issue in action and added it to my post on the bugs thread. If you've got a spare minute, can you take a look at it and see if you can replicate the behaviour?

Cheers,

Michael.

I still can't get OP's problem to replicate. However, your problem replicates every time. BUT, if I assign the 4 notes to 4 buttons, no problem. It seems the problem only occurs (in this particular test scenario) if I assign multiple notes to the same button, changing the note value in different snapshots.

Just for kicks I played around with CC#s. Apparently, you can only assign 1 CC# to a particular button. You can change the VALUE with snapshots, but you can't change the CC#.

So there's definitely a problem (or several) with the way that snapshots are working.

On 1/5/2019 at 5:43 AM, Afterglow-GTB said:

Nuggs,

Hi Michael,

Thanks for letting me know, at least I know I'm not crazy.  Not familiar with the way things work at Line 6.  Do you guys think I should be creating a bug report as well?  Is Line 6 good at fixing these types of issues?

On 1/5/2019 at 12:07 PM, rd2rk said:

One thing I thought odd was that when I DL'd OP's preset, HX Edit renamed it.

I forgot to mention, the patch was renamed to it's original name.  Not sure why it was renamed, but wanted to let you know.  I downloaded that patch and changed the name.

2 hours ago, nuggs_1 said:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for letting me know, at least I know I'm not crazy.  Not familiar with the way things work at Line 6.  Do you guys think I should be creating a bug report as well?  Is Line 6 good at fixing these types of issues?

This will eventually get fixed, but it won't happen overnight. Look for a fix in a future (hopefully the next) regular update.

Posted (edited)

Even after updating to 3.11 yesterday I'm still having the same issue: using snapshots, the MIDI note assignments in Command Center don't seem to 'stick' and keep reverting to default values after changing from one snapshot to another, after saving the patch in each snapshot before moving on.  But an even bigger issue for me is I'm trying to trigger samples in Koala sampler on iPad.  When I first started trying it, it worked great, then suddenly it didn't.  I can play the exact same MIDI note on my keyboard and the sample triggers every time.  But the same MIDI note played from Helix Command Center refuses to trigger the sample.  I have a second sample 'silence' on the same choke group, pressing the second Helix stomp button assigned to it kills (choke) the playing non-silence sample.  But to trigger that first sample and play it I have to tap the iPad screen.  I've tried 'momentary' and 'latching' settings on Helix MIDI note in Command Center, does not help.  On the keyboard, a simple key press and let up, the sample plays.

Edited by tmullin1017
add clarifying info
  • Upvote 1

@tmullin1017 the lost assignments is a known issue. There's a thread over on the Native subforum and a few similar comments scattered around. Line 6 say they're aware but I'm not sure when a fix will come. I suspect it may be related to MIDI notes being lost but I'm unsure.

After making my original post, I realized I'm using Bluetooth MIDI with a new adapter that seemed to be working.  I bought two of them, different manufacturers.  I switched to the other one on the Helix and my problem disappeared.  That was after trying with a regular MIDI cable and it worked OK.  I am perplexed about Command Center assignments.  I thought they had to be established separately for each snapshot, saving each change.  Then it looked like if I made assignments on snapshot 1, they also showed up in the other snapshots.  Which kind of worked, but then on another patch when I was on a snapshot other than 1 and made and assignment, it seemed like all the snapshot reverted to 'default' values (not the values I set) and had to be fixed.  I've watched a bunch of YouTube and read the manual but haven't found anything that addresses the topic of Command Center assignments versus snapshots.